Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
The thread was originally about oil additives. I know because I started the thread.
There's no debating that point at all.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Outlaw View Post
Sorry, I don't think I know him. But I do know a lot of school buses run AMSOIL to extend their oil change intervals to save time and money.

I'd also like to see more info on his testing. I'd like to read those professional "studies" you mentioned. Some of the amateur "studies" I've seen later had retractions.

If Mobil was a better oil, you would think they would recommend/warranty extended oil change intervals during the factory warranty period or extend oil changes for severe operating conditions like motorhomes. They don't. Only AMSOIL does. And has done so for 40 years. With no proven oil failures.

And AMSOIL has always shown it outperforms Mobil and the others. Exxon and the others do not dispute that. Exxon and the others would sue if it was not true. They haven't.
Please.. peddle your wares somewhere else, or, become a Commercial Member here so others know who you are..

Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Please.. peddle your wares somewhere else, or, become a Commercial Member here so others know who you are..
I'm not peddling anything here. Just asking for your " I can find at least 2 studies right now that say Mobil came out on top..." studies. But since you haven't posted them, you seem to be back-peddling. Are you peddling Mobil?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #32

The bottom line is that to the average non commercial user it really makes no difference if the oil breaks down at 10k or 50k. Every manufacturer of every vehicle I have owned says to change the oil at xxxxx miles orone year,which ever comes first. For me, and probably most of us, that means change the oil at one year.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
One of the lessons I remember from several lubricant seminars is that most after market additive use Molybdenum disulfide to increase the lubricity of the oil, works great for this purpose, except..... When the engine is heated then cooled, you get condensation, which when mixed with the sulpur(Disulphide) makes the oil go acidic.
Heat + Water + Sulpher = Sulphuric acid. Maybe not something you may want in your engine oil. Seemed to make sense, but I'm not a chemist either
Old 04-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
The bottom line is that to the average non commercial user it really makes no difference if the oil breaks down at 10k or 50k. Every manufacturer of every vehicle I have owned says to change the oil at xxxxx miles orone year,which ever comes first. For me, and probably most of us, that means change the oil at one year.
Mine recommends every 3,000 miles for engine oil and filter. Which would be about 5 oil changes a year for me. I prefer to do only 1 to save time and money.

I know a guy with a diesel motorhome that has gone 3 years so far on a single oil change. He has it analyzed once a year and the analysis comes back that the oil is recommended for continued use. He has saved even more than I.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaperon View Post
One of the lessons I remember from several lubricant seminars is that most after market additive use Molybdenum disulfide to increase the lubricity of the oil, works great for this purpose, except..... When the engine is heated then cooled, you get condensation, which when mixed with the sulpur(Disulphide) makes the oil go acidic.
Heat + Water + Sulpher = Sulphuric acid. Maybe not something you may want in your engine oil. Seemed to make sense, but I'm not a chemist either
There are acids that will form in an engine oil. These are countered by acid neutralizers formulated and tested in the motor oil. Some are marginal and only work for recommended oil change intervals. Some are superior, thus can be used for longer than recommended oil change intervals. Oils that are specially formulated and warranted for long oil change intervals will perform longer than oils formulated and warranted for shorter recommended oil change intervals. Make sense?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #36
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Point & Counterpoint about Amsoil has been made in this post there is nothing else to discuss about it here.

This point has been made in the past if anyone wants a thread about Amsoil start one. It's also been mentioned in the past if you find your next post or posts missing here on the subject don't be surprised nor should you expect a courtesy PM that your post has been removed.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Outlaw View Post
...Mine recommends every 3,000 miles for engine oil and filter...
Who recommends an oil change at 3k? Nobody's done that for years...except the people selling oil and oil changes.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Who recommends an oil change at 3k? Nobody's done that for years...except the people selling oil and oil changes.
Ford recommends that in the 2007 Ford owners manual that came in my motorhome.

Also at:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ntSchedule.asp

2007 Ford F-550
Driving Condition: Towing
Series: Super Duty
Drivetrain: RWD
Fuel: Gasoline
Engine Displacement: 6.8 L
Recommended maintenance for your vehicle

EVERY
MILES Change engine oil and replace oil filter
Old 04-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #39
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Workhorse says every 3 months or 3,000 miles.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #40

Interesting comments since my last posting! Sorry it took so long to get back on the forum, but I have been camping and haven't been paying much attention to any of the forums I'm on.

My comment about oil additives was to be careful on what you purchase. Check the FTC website because most additives if not all are a waste of money. ALMOST every additive sold today has been used in lubricants in the past 100 years. Some additives where even added into the lubricants by the manufacture and marketed to the public as a high film strength oil only later to be removed from the product when the additive proved to due more harm then good. One of my first jobs as a kid was working at an ESSO gas station, and I remember ESSO Graphite Motor Oil being introduced!. It wasn't on the market to long was it? Additives used today can be corrosive, damage EGR components, damage catalytic converters, and damage engine sensors that will send erroneous data to the ECM causing your vehicle to run poorly. These are just a few problems that could be caused by oil additives and why auto manufactures void you warranty if they discover you have used oil additives. They are very easy to find when an oil analysis is performed.

Many companies use the friction ball tester to sell their product. These machines are not recognized by the lubricant industry and are not an approved API test. They are smoke and mirror tests and are very easy to manipulate the get the results the company or sells person desires. Yet many salespeople and companies use them to show the film strength of their product. I'm not aware of any gasoline or diesel engine that requires such a high film strength lubricant such as the product they are selling for an engine to operate.

Lubricants are designed to do specific jobs outlined by the engineers who designed the engine. Auto manufactures notify the lubricant manufactures what those specification are to meet the minimum requirements for their engines. Those specifications are identified by the API specifications in your owner manual and on the lubricant container. Most cars since 2007 require a "SM" specification, and most diesels require a "CJ" specification and you should look for those specifications on the lubricant container you are purchasing. The container should state "Meets or Exceeds API SM or CJ Specification" Additive containers are not marked with API specifications! Wonder why! Maybe they don't meet API specifications! When you introduce an additive to the engine lubricant you have changed the chemistry of the manufactures required API specification. If you have a car under warranty, you just voided the warranty! If your car is out of warranty, possible damage is at your risk!

[moderator edit]
Old 04-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
I remember the graphite motor oils. I tried Arco (I think) graphite oil. Didn't have the car long enough to remember the effects. Interesting though that it didn't stay on the market a very long time. I'm a huge advocate of Amsoil products. Not just their motor oil either.

[moderator edit]
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the govermaurnent mandated demand for MORE MORE MORE MPG's

One wonders why the factory does not put in these "Miricle MPG improving" additivies.

I mean if I could eeek out a couple of extra MPG by dumping in a bottole of Uncle Joe's Snake Oil, as an auto company executive under federal mandate to increase MPG.. Why not?