Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Maiden voyage

First of all I would like to thank all those who have given of their time and knowledge over the last few weeks and answered a bunch of newbie questions. Our maiden voyage had very few mishaps or near misses because of that advice.

Also I want to state that we never exactly got away at the crack of dawn, the crack of noon was a little closer.

We left home in Coquitlam, B.C. last Wednesday, the wife and I and the Gran-puppy and headed up the Fraser Canyon and made it as far as Williams Lake. We over-nighted in Walmart (the DW loved that). The greeter told us to go to the employee parking lot (west side against a small cliff) and it was great out the way of the most traffic. They have a Macdonald's and since I wake up earlier than the better half I could go for a nice slow breakfast and then bring back a couple of coffees and a muffin for the DW. The DW wife loved that Walmart has every thing and we never bought any thing from any other place except Costco on the trip.(532 km)

From there we went up to Mackenzie to visit a friend of the DW who just moved there and we stayed in the municipal campground ($28/night) and not much of a place really. Good to see my wife's friwend but I had worked up there as a young man 40 years or so ago and in my opinion my first impression was correct, notice I hadn't been back for 40 years. (422 km)

From there we headed up to Dawson Creek which is Mile 0 of the Alaska highway (or the AlCan for our American friends). My son is working up there and we again we parked in Walmart in close to the Day's Inn which mean't we booted into their WiFi for free. Another nice spot to stay. (278 km).

From there we headed into Alberta stopping at the Costco in Grande Prairie where they sell booze, 60 packs of beer and great big bottles of booze. Costco's in B.C. do not sell booze. From there we headed down to Hinton and spent the night in (where else) the Walmart. (462 km). Buy your diesel in Alberta it is 20 cents/litre cheaper.

From there it was down to Jasper (back through the Rockies) and we were heading to Kamloops and planned to stay in Walmart once again, but when we got to the place there was a big sign saying "no overnighting" stay away from this one as it is in a hilly crowded location and you can't stay there. So we headed to Merritt figuring we could find a r/v campground but as we were coming in to town the DW wife spyed a nice new Walmart. We stayed on the south edge of the parking lot over looking the valley and mountains, very nice. (607 km).

From there it was back home to Coquitlam where we had started from.(254 km).

A total of 2555 km. in 7 days and lot of nice country and the weather was good from 80F in Kamloops to snow on the Coquihalla a couple of hundred km south.

Thanks to all for your help, it made a newbies maiden voyage much more enjoyable.

KTK
KenTheKanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #2

Great trip. Glad you enjoyed it, and had no problems.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a nice trip. We have stayed in some of the same Walmarts, so your trip brought a smile to my face. A trip with no problems is always a plus, now you can plan the next one.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Wonderful! Glad you enjoyed it.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #5

Glad you enjoyed your trip and Walmart's hospitality. Walmart makes camping affordable.
Nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote