Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #1

Maiden Voyage

We just finished our maiden voyage (180 mile round trip) we averaged 9.48 mpg, with our new Fleetwood Bounder. The Bounder performed very well with but a few hiccups, I have a water leak at the water heater bypass valve, no power to the O.S. Stereo, small oil leak at the generator filter (technician error), DVD Player doesn't work, the main door began squeaking like crazy, and the furnace makes a clicking sound, I'm thinking that it is a faulty igniter.

So for a new coach, I am hoping these are kinda normal occurrences. The best part is that Susan and I really enjoyed our first RV Trip (We stepped up from a Lance Camper to a Bounder 33, wow what a difference).

Now that we've had our shake down cruise, it is time to start planning an adventure.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you had a good trip. I must say, that mileage is exceptional. Most of us get 7-8 MPG on a good day driving downhill. Sounds like the typical new coach punch list.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #3

I have to admit that my mileage calculations is a close estimate, based on a 75 gallon tank using approximately 18.75 gallons (more or less based on the fuel gauge not the actual gallons at the pump)and traveling approximately 180 miles... I'll go and fuel up tomorrow (as we will always try to keep a full tank ready to travel in short notice) and I'll have an exact mileage calculation.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #4

how exciting, best of luck with your new rig
JohnWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
I have to admit that my mileage calculations is a close estimate, based on a 75 gallon tank using approximately 18.75 gallons (more or less based on the fuel gauge not the actual gallons at the pump)and traveling approximately 180 miles... I'll go and fuel up tomorrow (as we will always try to keep a full tank ready to travel in short notice) and I'll have an exact mileage calculation.
I believe our gas tank is 80 gallons. I didn't realize that had changed but apparently it did.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #6

First trips can always be challenging, no matter if they are the first in a 'new' MH or the first tirp of the year. It is alway nice to work out the 'bugs' on short ones so that the longer trips can be fun.
For the most part I do not check our MPG while in state as either we are running the gen alot our pulling a trailer loaded with 'toys'. On our last trip to the 'lower 48' we averaged 9.6 miles on a 6500 mile trip. There was little gen use and no towing.
Enjoy your now 'lodging', have fun and be ready for more 'learning' advantures.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I believe our gas tank is 80 gallons. I didn't realize that had changed but apparently it did.
The V10 chassis has a 80 gallon gas tank....not 75....my 1999 is also 80, the standard size for years. Anything over 8.0 mpg is great, but johnmbeard needs to keep track of several fill ups to get a good idea of his mileage....a gallon or two in a partial fill can make a difference. Keep track of five or six fills....then you will know for sure.

We usually get 7.5 mpg and have gotten 7.8 and 6.6 depending on wind, altitude, speed, etc. Remember, you are pushing a brick through the air...ha ha
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
The V10 chassis has a 80 gallon gas tank....not 75....my 1999 is also 80, the standard size for years. Anything over 8.0 mpg is great, but johnmbeard needs to keep track of several fill ups to get a good idea of his mileage....a gallon or two in a partial fill can make a difference. Keep track of five or six fills....then you will know for sure.

We usually get 7.5 mpg and have gotten 7.8 and 6.6 depending on wind, altitude, speed, etc. Remember, you are pushing a brick through the air...ha ha
I looked at the brochures on the Fleetwood site and in 2010, the Bounder did have a 75 gallon tank. I guess they change it when it suits them, because ours is 80.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #9

I note the Tiffin V10 specs. say 75 gallon fuel tank. I guess there are different tanks. News to me. Oh, well.....
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote