Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #1

Maiden Voyage

Hello,
We just purchased a 2002 Winnebago Journey from a dealership in Washington state. I plan to pick the coach up in mid April and will be driving it back home to Wisconsin.

Having never owned a motorhome before, I have some questions I'm sure someone here will have answers to.

Will I have any problems with snow thru the passes at that time of year?

I'm going to ask the dealership to change the oil and fill the fresh water tank.
Should I ask them to do anything else?

That's it for now. Any other suggestions are greatly welcome.
Thanks, Jeff
Balou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #2

I would ask them to check tires for cracks.
You should be all right in mid April Maybe flurries but shouldn't need traction devices.
Old Truck Dr.
Old Truck Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should make sure the chassis is lubed. Much more important though, the brake pads and rotors should be checked before you take on those mountain grades.

Speaking of grades, check out the threads on mountain driving on the forum to familiarize yourself with how to use the transmission to save those brakes from failure due to overheating.

Finally, I would highly recommend you have them install the 5 Star Tune for your Ford V-10. Don't just take my word on that. Check out what virtually everyone who has done so has to say about it. It was voted the number one product by MH owners in this year's Motorhome Magazine. Since installing mine last year on my Southwind 36Z, I have become a huge fan, as you might suspect. :-) Best purchase I ever made in my 40 years of RVing.

Enjoy your "new" coach, and drop in to this forum anytime you need advice on anything RV and travel related. There are centuries of accumulated experience and knowledge represented here, most of them eager to help out the "newbies".
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #4

Regarding the tires, look at the mfg date stamp and if they are more than 6 years old, then consider replacing them. A 2002 is bound to have some issues especially if it was not extensively used
Old 02-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambow View Post
Finally, I would highly recommend you have them install the 5 Star Tune for your Ford V-10. Don't just take my word on that. Check out what virtually everyone who has done so has to say about it. It was voted the number one product by MH owners in this year's Motorhome Magazine. Since installing mine last year on my Southwind 36Z, I have become a huge fan, as you might suspect. :-) Best purchase I ever made in my 40 years of RVing.
Whoops! Sorry, I was thinking Winnie Adventurer, a gasser, not the DP you have. Everything else applies, though. Happy travels.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:57 PM   #6

Rambow, Chassis lube and brakes! Will do.

I used to truck back in the 80's. I ran the old roads thru Monteagle, TN many times with no Jake brake. I'm thinking this coach should respond the same but I will check the threads to make sure. At least this coach has an engine brake. Yes, a 275 Cummings diesel. Thank you.

Old Truck Dr and garbonz,
The tires are 3 years old according to the mfg date stamp.
I will check the air pressure before starting the trip. Thank you.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #7

We've driven that route (WA to MN) many times and a few time in April. The only weather related incident was one time we stopped for a few hours of shut eye in a North Dakota rest stop. We awoke to find ourselves snowed in for the remainder of then night and most of the next day. Our only regret was that we didn't have more food and coffee for the automobile travelers who shared the rest stop with us. Happy motoring.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #8

Great advice in all the previous posts, additionally as you mentioned... weather. Driving across the Northern Tier in a new (to you) motorhome, pay attention to the winds. A lot of MH, big 5ers and TTs have issue with the cross winds. Safe travels and enjoy the new rig!
MGrawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You should not have many problems at that time of the year. My best advice is to monitor the weather reports and if something seems problematic, just sit it out.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #10

Will the dash heat, heat the whole coach? If not, what do you use?

The coach has a basement propane heat and air unit w/heat pump.
Will the inverter run everything while traveling?
Old 02-05-2017, 08:01 AM   #11

Balou,

One expression my Dad used when one of us kids did something not too smart was: “You have more luck than brains.”

My questions is: Do you feel lucky?

Unless it is written down in the purchase agreement and verified at time of pick up, don’t believe that the dealer did anything you have asked to be done and nothing you expect them to do. One this forum highly respected Winnebago dealer in Iowa, did not even check that our brake lights worked. (If anyone wants a hint, they are very close to the factory.)

I think that I would pay for an independent safety inspection. Have this shop correct any problems and do your basic maintenance.

Pay attention to WeatherBug or some other phone AP. April is pretty early in the Rockys. Snow can close a pass for a day. This has happened to me going into Yellowstone in late June.

Don’t travel across Montana and North Dakota. These states have some wide open areas. Drop down to Wyoming and come across South Dakota.

Get a good RV emergency road plan. Coach Net is a good one.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #12

Joe,
The dealership (Blade RV) is going to give me a condition report.

When we inspected the motorhome, I checked the date on the tires. We also test drove the unit. Its a one owner, 58000 miles with all the paper work from new, including service records. We have been looking for a motorhome in our budget for about a year and looked at 30+ units before we bought this one. This one looked and felt right, with paper work to boot. I hope in was a good choice, everything seems to be correct.

I plan on a independent safety inspection once back in Wisconsin. I have also purchased a 4 year warranty thru United States Warranty Corporation.

Thank you very much for your input.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #14

Hello,

This is just an update on the 2002 Winnebago Journey purchase.
The drive back from Washington State to Wisconsin on Easter weekend went well.

Ran into some snow in Washington and Montana but nothing serious.
The drive train seems good. We got an average of 9.4 mpg running 65 to 70 with the cruse on most of the time. Engine used no oil in 2000+ miles. One thing I did noticed, the engine coolant temperature holds normal while driving but drops to cold after idling a short time after stopping. The gauge seems correct and the dash heat gets much cooler also. I suspect the thermostat is stuck open. Coolant level is good.

I was worried about the power or, "lack of" I might experience having read a lot about the 5.9 Cummings diesel 275hp. I don't know if engine modifications have been done but this coach has all the power I need.

Thru the mountains she never dropped below 55mph. The Jake brake held it back well enough on the down side, that I never had to touch the brakes. I had to see what this "new to me" coach would do on the flat and level. The speedometer reads a top speed of 85. I hit that and let off.

I started thinking the speedometer must be off. Everything I've read says this engine is great for fuel mileage but lacking on power. So I had my son check our speed with a GPS app on his phone. The speedometer is accurate.

Now that shes home in Wisconsin, I took it in for a check up. Some small issues are, refrigerator works good on electric but not LP, door lock, fresh water tank leak...probably the drain valve. The air pressure seems to drop quickly after shutting it off. The gauge will be down to 0 in half an hour. My big rig held air pressure for a week. They will look into that too.

I'm also having them check the suspension, steering and brakes. Service work I can do, and will when I get it back.

Tags
voyage