Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Maiden Voyage...FINALLY! LONG STORY!

Well...FINALLY got the rig to the camp ground...almost didn't happen. One of them days I wanted a do over but we got it done.

We thought we were ready to kick out early Saturday morning to our "home base" CG. Well, we were but things transpired to say otherwise.

First, I run out to the lot where it is parked, get things ready to start up. Before I do that I check tire pressure and plan to use my brand new air compressor if needed. Well, as I check the tire pressure on the front tires BOTH of their valve stem cores stuck open. Nothing I could do would stop the escape of air except putting the caps back on. SHEESH! So...I run to NAPA, get me a core tool and 6 new cores. I then pull the cores and replace them...problem solved. Well...sorta...

I now grab my new Porter-Cable 135, 1 GAL air compressor, fire it up, run it 15 mins without load for break-in and commence to re-inflate those front tires. DANG...it don't work. I get the tank to 135 PSI, and when I try to air the first tire up, the tire actually empties into the compressor tank! Can't figure that one out, makes no sense but I started with about 80 PSI in the tire and after several attempts get down to 60 PSI.

Fortunately Sears is near by and the have in stock the compact 150 PSI compressor. So, I got back to the rig, get it all set up and WE GOT AIR! It performed flawlessly. It did take about a minute to get from 60 to 90 PSI but that seems well within normal for a small compressor. I'm happy except it is now about 3 pm. Another round to tire pressure checks...all cores working great...new valve stem caps too. BINGO I start it up, retract the jacks and head home to do the final loading for the trip.

Get home and last minute loading seems to be going fine. Since we don't have a tow bar yet Sandee will drive separately. We hit the road about 4:30 pm. I get to a gas station and fill up while she takes the direct route. I get to the CG at about 5:45 pm.

Sandee's dad and a close friend are already at my CG slot doing a couple last minute things. I have to back in from the main road onto the CG road then into the slot. A total of about 300' or backing up. It goes pretty darn well for a rookie if I say so myself.

Get it into the slot and start to hook things up. My father in law is helping me get the sewer connected and his friend is placing pads down for my jacks. Great team work. So, we get is hooked to sewer and plant the jacks. Site is very level thanks to those 2 guys. Slide outs are deployed and now we go to hook up the electrical. OH NO...Something is wrong! My newly installed, hard wired surge protector is protesting! I get a flashing error code and there is no power in the coach.

"Dad's" friend, who is the CG handyman goes to his trailer and gets the tester out and finds there is only about 33 volts at the leads. SIGH! It is starting to get dark. He checks out the boxes in that trunk line and finds 2 previous boxes show the same problem. I'm about 50' away from a working box so he goes and gets a pretty massive extension cord and connects me up. He also finds a 20-30 amp connector so I now have 20 amp service. Not enough to run the AC but enough to get lights on and things sorted out.

Sandee and I get the dogs settled, thank everyone for their help so far and by about 10:30 finally get to bed for the fist time in our MH. Not sure if we are happy or to tired to be mad. We did manage to start watching the move RV that a close friend of hers rented for us as a gag. Saw the opening credits and we both said we were too tired to watch it. Off go the lights and we get to sleep.

The next morning dad's friend is already at the power posts working on figuring out what happened. They finally trace it to the power connector 2 ahead of mine. Tree roots had grown so much in the 15 years since it was set up that they force the ground wire came loose. Tom digs, digs some more, chops some root, digs some more and finally gets enough slack to get the ground reconnected and have some extra for ground heave. BINGO, we now have 30 amp service and AC.

So, I'm thinking the $600 for surge protector and installation may have already paid off! If not, I feel better anyway.

I just want to say that my father in law (Rufus), his friend Tom and Tom's wife Judy have been the epitome of friendly campers. Without us asking they prepped my site, mowed the grass, and got rock/gravel to help level it. Without those folks this would have been a disastrous start. We owe them a lot for getting us set up and for some of the lessons they have already shown us about setting up, tearing down and things to do.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #2

After the initial sting subsides, you'll aways remember that first camping trip with fondness. Congrats on getting that first trip under your belt. I think however, I'd start looking for a different CG. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just think it could have been worse, but you got a good camp side story out of it as well.

Enjoy your stay.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
After having a "not so fun" experience...it should be smooth sailing from now on Wishing you many happy journeys.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So, did you learn anything from the movie "RV?"

Welcome to "our" world. Say hi to Murphy and his laws.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
So, did you learn anything from the movie "RV?"

Welcome to "our" world. Say hi to Murphy and his laws.
Didn't get past the opening credits on RV. Remember, Murphy was an optimist.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Hope you got a refund on the Porter-Cable compressor!!!!!

W8RLM - Bob
Old 05-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8rlm View Post
hope you got a refund on the porter-cable compressor!!!!!

W8rlm - bob
you betcha!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
Didn't get past the opening credits on RV. Remember, Murphy was an optimist.

Well, in that case have DW do all the hookups to the sewer system until you know all the intricacies to that function.

Our second time out I was having one of my back problem bouts, and I asked DW if she would snap the sewer line on the fitting for me. She said, "I'm not going to get "dirty" am I?"

"No, you are just going to snap the hose on." She pulled the cap off of the outlet and Wooooossssssh! Fortunately it was just the gray water valve that I didn't close. I'm sure many of you have been in a situation where you want to laugh so hard, but can't.

I have since fixed that situation. I put a clear plastic elbow on the outlet for ME to see if there is any standing water in the tube.

Oh! DW will not go near a sewer connection now.

Remember your "nice" story for the "campfar." Me thinks you may be adding some along the way - just enjoy them and relate them - we have all been there.

p.s., It was very nice of your FIL and his friend to help you through this memorable time. Just remember in the future that when someone comes over to talk to you, remember what you were doing, but stop all setup or tear-down sequences. Most of us will guarantee you that if you continue you will forget something, and it could be something important. The vast majority of RV'ers will not approach someone that is setting up or tearing down until they have completed their tasks. It is just to darn easy to be distracted and forget something, like not unplugging the electrical cord, or worse.

Make a check list and go over it twice - with partner.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Good Advice Here :)

Quote:
"

p.s., It was very nice of your FIL and his friend to help you through this memorable time. Just remember in the future that when someone comes over to talk to you, remember what you were doing, but stop all setup or tear-down sequences. Most of us will guarantee you that if you continue you will forget something, and it could be something important. The vast majority of RV'rs will not approach someone that is setting up or tearing down until they have completed their tasks. It is just to darn easy to be distracted and forget something, like not unplugging the electrical cord, or worse.

Make a check list and go over it twice - with partner.
Very good advice I wish there was some way to have this as a notice somewhere to remind folks to leave others alone until they are ready to join in on a conversation. There are so many tasks that must be done right and in a certain order to prevent problems that cost lots of $$$
Old 05-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
She said, "I'm not going to get "dirty" am I?"

"No, you are just going to snap the hose on." She pulled the cap off of the outlet and Wooooossssssh! Fortunately it was just the gray water.
Oh my gosh Wayne, I laughed so hard when I read your post. No disrespect intended whatsoever, and not poking fun at your DW, it just hit my funny bone and kind of reminded me of one or our first experiences dumping the tanks. God bless our military wives!

First time we did a dump of black and gray tank (black 1st, of course) after 4 days of camping and 2 family's using the bathroom was interesting for me too. The campground we were at didn't have a dump site, but one just up the road a mile did, so I paid the $6.00 to use theirs. The hole was just that, a hole with a hinged brass lid. I told my DW "Keep your foot on the hose baby, while I pull the valve. If you don't hold it in place sh.........stuff is going to go all over the place". I didn't do a gradual pull either, and the black tank probably had about 25 or more gallons in it, that, keep in mind had gotten stirred up quite well leaving the campground and going up the road to dump. The look on her face when than smell hit her nose was priceless. The sound of her voice when a tiny bit splashed on her foot and flip flop was even more priceless.

Athuddriver, sorry to hear about your challenges, but at the same time, I'm glad your maiden voyage went as well as it did for you. It could have been much worse. Congrats on a successfull trip!

Her thing now. "Find a rock, I'm not putting my foot on that hose again"

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote