Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Mail Forwarding During Two-Month Trip

Planning a two-month trip in late summer. We haven't done anything like this before, so need advice on mail handling. I could just put it on hold, but there may be things like meds that we will need sent on to us, wherever we are. How do you handle that? I could have everything forwarded, temporarily, to our daughter and she could throw away all the junk and UPS the good stuff -- but, since we're only planning to be in any one place for one, two, or three days at most -- what to do? All serious suggestions welcome.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #2

UPS. Simple for what you need. Maybe coordinate a specific place every 2-3 weeks for it to be sent. Make sure the CG will take delivery. Maybe only 1 or 2 shipments required.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We use the USPS for forwarding and with our town of 40+k people we have never had a problem. Like you we only stay 3 or 4 days in one spot so we have the mail forwarded to a relative. They either hold it for us, or forward the good stuff.

In our case the USPS forwarded a weeks worth of mail in one of their priority boxes. They would send it out on a Wednesday and it would arrive at the forwarded destination on Friday. It worked well for us. I forgot the cost of the service but I believe it is equitable to the other forwarding services.

There are other methods out there and I'm sure someone will come along and explain them. There is always the Escapee's Club. FMCA also forwards.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
For our 6months away-
We filled out the USPS mail forwarding slip and had all mail sent to my Brother's address. (They will forward it for up to 6mo.)

Then we periodically skyped and viewed the mail for keep/junk/need now/need later etc.

We then requested mail from Brother as needed and he $12.+/-cost one of those anything that fits boxes.

It was always there (at a predetermined campground or location that would accept mail) by the 2-3rd day after he sent it. We timed it accordingly.

Now for what you need to consider-
-Use a relative that you trust and is willing to participate.
-some mail (like replacement credit cards/atm cards) will not be forwarded and returned to sender. The envelope will state "do not forward and return to sender".
-When you return you also have to fill out the "change of address" form in addition to the "stop mail forwarding" form as some returned to sender mail will change your address to the one you had it forwarded to. I know its confusing but that insures all mail gets back home when needed.
-They will not forward some bulk and magazine mail.
-You can suspend some subscriptions (like local mail and tv guide)to save some $ and turn it back on when you return.
-If you suspend Charter Cable (in our area) for more that 2 months you are considered a new customer and the new rules on signal quality, rate plans etc. apply.
-You can stop into any post office and fill out the forms so prior to your return you can time it for when you get home.

Summary-
We used this new to us method for the first time last winter for the full 6mo and would do the same again this winter for our situation. We already had all bills paid electronically and can access all banking/investing electronically as well. Even did the income taxes electronically (using TurboTax) from a Walmart Parking lot in Texas and we live in Michigan.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
For our 6months away-
We filled out the USPS mail forwarding slip and had all mail sent to my Brother's address. (They will forward it for up to 6mo.)...
Thanks for the information. I think this is what we will do. Our daughter can cull through the forwarded mail, pick what we may need, and put it in a Priority Mail box, or send via UPS or FedEx. Only issue is, I'm not making campground reservations very far in advance, so I may have to spend an extra day or two in a specific location to have time for the mail to arrive.

Meds are the only really critical thing we need to have forwarded. Everything else can be trashed, or put in a bag to look at during the winter.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For your MEDS, consider getting a "Maintenance" supply. That is what I do for both of my distributors, VA and MAXOR. They will give me up to a 6 month maintenance supply.

No need for quick forwarding then.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
For your MEDS, consider getting a "Maintenance" supply. That is what I do for both of my distributors, VA and MAXOR. They will give me up to a 6 month maintenance supply.

Thanks Wayne, I'll look into that. All my stuff comes from Express Scripts, usually a 90-day supply. I try to keep a bit "ratholed" for emergencies. If I could get the 90-days on the right schedule, I would have plenty for a 60-day trip.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You can call camprounds where you are planning to stay, and ask if they will accept packages delivered to them prior to your arrival. If they will, have your essential mail UPS, Fed-Ex etc to them and when you arrive it will be there for you. I have done this several times and it works like a charm.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Will let the wife know about this thx.
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
some mail (like replacement credit cards/atm cards) will not be forwarded and returned to sender. The envelope will state "do not forward and return to sender".
We travel 6-7 months at a time and use a UPS store to send us our mail - just use a temporary forward with the USPS to the UPS box and then just call or email the UPS store to forward our mail when and where we want it. All first class mail, including replacement credit cards goes to the UPS box and is forwarded to us on demand. We have been doing this for several years and have gotten several new cards through the years - one just this week.

I have seen others say this same thing on forums, and do not know why they would have a problem. Perhaps it is how the mail forwarding is set up with the USPS.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
Thanks Wayne, I'll look into that. All my stuff comes from Express Scripts, usually a 90-day supply. I try to keep a bit "ratholed" for emergencies. If I could get the 90-days on the right schedule, I would have plenty for a 60-day trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1985 View Post
Will let the wife know about this thx.

I have been doing this for 5 years when I found out about it. With Maxor, I just call them on the phone explain to them what is going on about taking a long trip, and the send me the meds

For both Maxor and the VA, before I call and ask for a maintenance supply I count the remaining meds I have so when I'm talking to them the know I'm not pulling anything on them. For the VA I have to go to the VA hospital in person and talk to a pharmacy counselor. I give the counselor my paper with all the remaining pills and they then prescribe the additional meds and I get them in the mail before we leave. That is a key point, you have to do this in time to get them in the mail. You may be able to wait at the pharmacy but I have never waited - just mail them to me. I have done this procedure about 4 times in the last 5 years and I have always had a full supply of meds.

Just don't miscount or you could be on a rush home if you are running out.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #12

All good advice. One additional thought: If you know what city you are going to be in, you can locate a post office and have your forwarder send it to you at that post office as "general delivery" and your name. I have done this using USPS priority mail and it has worked well. I think they will hold it for 30 days if I remember.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote