Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #1

Maintenance Required: '03 Roo

My wife and I recently bought a 2003 Rockwood Roo 25BH for a pretty decent price, quite a bit under nada.com estimate. Problem is, now we're finding a couple issues after just one use.

First, and most importantly, the gray-water tank is cracked. I knew this going in, but the seller said I can bypass the tank altogether and go right to the sewer. Knowing our first camping experience w/ the Roo would be as "newbies", we decided to go 'full hook up' so I wouldn't have to worry about the tank. Unbeknownst to me, the gray water still has to go through the tank! Needless to say, we experience "some water" in the parking spot the next morning.

Question - is this something a backyard mechanic should jump into or is it recommended for professional installation? I know my way around a workshop.

Secondly, the fold-out portion of the camper, where the full size bed is, needs to be replaced. The wood has begun separating from the metal housing. Not sure if I can 'handyman' it myself, but I would prefer to just buy the whole door. If so, where can I get it? I looked online but can't find any place that sells replacement doors.

Thirdly, and not so much an issue but esthetic. The decals on the Roo are fading and peeling. I'd like to replace them with new. Again, I looked online but was unable to find anything.

I appreciate everyone's help and insight getting my problems resolved!
Kahlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #2

Follow up question. Which tank is the closest in line to the discharge outlet? This is the tank that is messed up.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #3

For your viewing pleasure! This was the evening we brought her home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 Roo coming home.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	42559  
Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

I always try to fix stuff myself before I take things somewhere, mainly because I'm pretty handy and I'm an extreme tightwad. So, here's my take on your issues:

The gray water tank is plastic and not under any pressure other than the hydrostatic head from the contents. I would try to patch it by trying, (1) try a fiberglass repair kit often available at auto parts stores or (2), using some high strength epoxy, glue a thin piece of plexiglass or some other type plastic over the crack.

You might try to reattach the metal to the wood (unless it is rotted) also with some high strength epoxy glue. If the wood is rotted, I'd take the door off the hinges and replace the wood. I'm not sure how it is attached now but I would use the same method with the new wood.

You might be able to find new decals on line or one thing I would try is to go to one of those places that do wraps on cars and trucks and see if they can do decals for you.

Good luck with the repairs and congrats on the new trailer. Have fun!
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #5

If the crack/leak can be seen it may be welded closed with a plastic welder, a very permanent repair. Talk to an auto-body shop about welding the plastic tank. Be sure to inform them it is a gray-water holding tank only, and will be flushed, clean, and dry, prior to turning the trailer over to them for the job.
An alternative is to attempt a DIY crack repair with a soldering iron and try to melt the crack back together, permanence is questionable.
If the decals are still plainly seen, take a high-resolution, close-up picture of each, then visit a sign shop or shop that does work for delivery trucks. They should be able to copy the picture into their software, enhance it and specify original colors. A reputable shop will have a decal printer and cutter that will then reproduce the decals in original size, however some very large decals (>3'-4' wide) may have to be produced in sections. The alternative is to contact the mfgr. and ask for assistance in buying replacement decals.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance