Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Major damage by flying debrie

We are staying on a camground in Yuma.

Just opposite from us is a couple of "old dear's" who have had an unfortunate accident. They have been hit by what appears to be a spare truck tire INCLUDING the rim. There is damage absolutely everywhere

Windscreen bashed in. Headlight beaten in. Awnings both over front door and over slide is shredded. Damage to area above windscreen. Along the left side there is severe damage to side panel and hatches and the list goes on and on.

Now - here is the good news. I spoke to the repair man who was going to put everything straight. I expected the repairs to take weeks or even month, but I was surprised when he said he would do everything "in-house" and that he estimated the work to take 4 days - max one week.

Frighting experience I am sure !!!

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Was it a loose tire going down the road that hit them or debris from a blowout. That would be scary!! Looks like a lot of damage in multiple areas. A loose wheel of a truck can total off a car quite easily.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Was it a loose tire going down the road that hit them or debris from a blowout. That would be scary!! Looks like a lot of damage in multiple areas. A loose wheel of a truck can total off a car quite easily.
Theory is that a truck lost a spare tire and that is what did the damage, but no one know for sure. The injured party is probably in their late eighties and not quite "with it". They saw nothing - they only heard a loud noise and that was it.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #4

The "frightening experience" is that this coach was being operated at the time this happened and the person driving it had no idea what happened?
I would say that it's time to "hang up the keys" for these folks before they kill themselves, someone else or me.

Mike
Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, was probably pretty upsetting for them! No injuries I hope!!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Theory is that a truck lost a spare tire and that is what did the damage, but no one know for sure. The injured party is probably in their late eighties and not quite "with it". They saw nothing - they only heard a loud noise and that was it.
Those poor souls. OTOH, perhaps they need to think about getting off the road if they don't remember exactly what happened.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Those poor souls. OTOH, perhaps they need to think about getting off the road if they don't remember exactly what happened.
Unfortunately you are probably right, but it's very likely a difficult decision to make.

I look in my mirror and realize that I am in my late fifties. When I am not looking I think I am still in my mid twenties - that is when my bones are not hurting of course.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Give me a break people. This wheel could have flipped up in a couple of seconds while he was checking the speedometer or the rear view mirror. all of us look away from the road for a couple of seconds while we are driving.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Give me a break people. This wheel could have flipped up in a couple of seconds while he was checking the speedometer or the rear view mirror. all of us look away from the road for a couple of seconds while we are driving.
I would agree with you if it wasn't for the following:

Both driver and co-driver looking away at the same time is a possibility but chances are low I would have thought. Secondly, if I was hit by "something" that large and having caused this amount of damage to my RV, I would make absolutely sure to track this "something" so that I had something to show the insurance company. The question "What caused the damage?" wouldn't read "Don't know" I can guarantee you.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #10

Thanks for shearing the photos! The angles had to be riding with them.
It could have gone right through the windshield. Just can not believe its not worse! Just hard to believe it did not brake out a section of the front cowling or as mentioned through the windshield.
Looks like allot of smaller parts and some superficial body work and a paint job.
To get everything don it that time frame,the shop must have most of the items in stock.
When we hit a recap,it took out 20% of the front cowling, some brackets under the coach and large section of the lower rear fiber glass near the hitch.
When it cleared the coach,( Had No Toad ) it took off most of the front bumper and right fender of a Camry fallowing us. Never put so much as a scratch in the hood or any other part of the car.
Real good adrenalin moment. Just enough time to say to the DW. This is not good.

Dick.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #11

MY DW just finished reading my post and mentioned it was is some other language other then English. LOL
Dick.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That amount of damage could have been caused by a tread, not a tire. A tire would have Broken the fiberglass and gone through the windshield.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote