Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #1

Exclamation Major flooding in Hershey, PA today

Hershey area had over 5" of rain today after several days of steady rain! The local creek (Swatara Creek) will be cresting 13 feet ABOVE flood stage. Access to town is currently limited and many bridges and roadways are damaged.

The RV show next week at the Giant Center is near the creek, but high enough that the show grounds will likely be okay. However, if you have plans to travel here and stay at local campgrounds, I would advise checking ahead of time to be sure their facilities have not been impacted by the flood. Also, boondocking at the Giant Center grounds may be restricted in the grassy areas located adjacent to the flooded creek. I would suggest checking ahead with the show contacts.

Rain is forecasted for tomorrow and Friday with some clearing Saturday. This is the worst flooding we've experienced since 72'.

Joopy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #2

Joopy, talked to my brother just over an hr.ago and he lives near the headwaters of the East branch of the Susquehanna and it looks like things could get worse over the next 24 to 48 hrs.

Dick.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #3

Actually, Hershey will be cresting at 16 feet ABOVE flood stage! The Susquehanna at Harrisburg is expected to crest Saturday at 12 feet ABOVE flood stage. This will be the 2nd or 3rd highest level ....ever!

Again, local roads and bridges damaged, Hershey sewage treatment plant flooded, RV 's headed for show stranded.... It's bad folks. Be safe.

Joopy
Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #4

Wow... Make that 20' ABOVE flood stage for the Swatara Creek which is a new record.

Anyway, the cresting has occurred and the levels are expected to be below flood stage by Sunday. I'm planning to attend the RV Show on Friday. See you there!

Joopy
Old 09-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Going Thursday. Leaving to go home Monday. Campground (Highmeadow) closed, Walmart etc looks like the plan. Daytime parking at the show. We'll try to get overnight $25 spots but I'm thinking they will all be gone by the time we get there

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
with all the campground closings and all those rv's looking for another sport and all campgrounds fully booked for the show...... I sure hope Walmart etc. has a sense of humor. I think we may see a lot of RV's all over looking for a spot to park. We've done Walmart twice and both times were great, quiet and secure. It'll be a great adventure!

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We are thinking of leaving on Wed. to the show ... driving from Miami to PA. I'm concerned with the roadway situation ... If there is anyone that can post their routes from the South and what they find it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Ana
theCOMVEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #8

Ana,

I can't speak for the entire route from FL, but the primary roadways are open in PA to Hershey. Highmeadows Campground in Hershey is closed, but I drove past the show grounds today and the RV's are filling up the grounds already.

Safe travels,
Joopy
Old 09-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #9

I was at the show on friday and saw no evidence that there was any flooding in the area. The show was as great as ever