Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Making on board generator quieter

A lot of you are probably already aware of this neat little trick. We did some tailgating with our motorhome this weekend at our University. Not sure where I'd heard about it, but supposedly putting a carpeted mat of some sort directly beneath the generator quiets it down. Makes sense because a lot of the mechanical sound from the generator bounces off of the hard pavement.

Well I tried it and it surely does work.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Reduces both primary and secondary noise as you are traping air under the unit and dampening vibration.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
Reduces both primary and secondary noise as you are trapping air under the unit and dampening vibration.
How is the air trapped? The carpet is on the pavement and the normal air flow is not disturbed. The carpet acts as a sound deadener and absorbs some of the sound and not letting it reflect off the pavement.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I might try something a little different next weekend tailgating. I can get my hands on a rubber mat with holes in it. Like the one's typically found behind bars or in commercial kitchesn. I'll put that on top of the carpeted mat. Should work a little better. Now I just need to finish up my homemade gen turi project.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
How is the air trapped? The carpet is on the pavement and the normal air flow is not disturbed. The carpet acts as a sound deadener and absorbs some of the sound and not letting it reflect off the pavement.ken
All of the above. Well, not being a sound and/or vibration engineer I reckon trapping is not the best term to use, but the carpet keeps all the air from being forced out between the ground and the base, therin reducing the flow of sound by that travels from the unit to the ground.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
All of the above. Well, not being a sound and/or vibration engineer I reckon trapping is not the best term to use, but the carpet keeps all the air from being forced out between the ground and the base, therin reducing the flow of sound by that travels from the unit to the ground.
The Iceman had it right. There is no air flow involved soundwise.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the tip. It makes sense that it might slow down the sound bounce. I'll try it!
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
If you are experimenting, try an accordion style fold of the carpet to absorb or dampen the noise. I did some acoustic work in a shopping center once and was amazed at how much noise a flat surface reflected as opposed to an irregular surface.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any soft textured surface will help to absorb sound. Have you ever seen the inside of an anechoic chamber. All of the walls are covered with wedges of a fiber mesh about 1.5' deep (tall) on all of the walls, floor and ceiling. The operating surface is a wire mesh suspended near mid height in the chamber. The walls a thick concrete, lead lined and the whole room floats on an air bag system.

As noted above, it is not the air that is the problem as sound travels in waves. High frequency and low frequency sounds are treated in different ways. Sound travels in straight lines and it is readily reflected by hard surfaces.

Place a high nap carpet under the generator set that extends 2 or 3 feet past the generator on all four sides.

I Have done some work on low noise equipment in quiet areas and it is a very specialized field and not a simple field.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 10-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Sound is air PRESSURE variation, expressed as waves. The number of times the air pressure cycles from its lowest point to its highest point per second is its frequency. Sound deadening techniques focus on stopping the PROPEGATION of these air pressure variations through absorbsion or diffusion or both. That's what the rug is doing under the genny.

EDIT: After re-reading this, I realized it would be an excellent reply to the DW asking "What is MY RUG doing under the GENNY?!?"
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kinda makes you wish avacado green shag would come back into vogue.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Kinda makes you wish avacado green shag would come back into vogue.
No - once in a lifetime is enough.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you need some shag, I think the in laws have some gold shag in the attic.

ken
Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
No - once in a lifetime is enough.
No, even once was too much (shudder).
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator