Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #1

Making the bed -- UGH

Someone has already been able to solve this problem...I just need to know how.

I pulled the bed off the pedestal to be able to get the fitted sheet around the top, then I tried to push up the mattress. 15 mins later and alot of jumping over from one side to the other it finally move up - not pretty but the sheet is on.

A few days later I pulled the bed down thinking I had the problem solved - added drawer contact paper, after I vacuumed it. Who am I kidding - it doesn't stick.. fought to place bed back to position.

Help!!! We have a Denver mattress.. if we sleep on it a few times an do not like it we will move the sleep by number there. Either way I need to find a way to help the mattress slide on platform to make for an easy chore.
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 07:24 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Throw away the sheets and blankets. Our drivers use the sleep sack. It is sold by camping world. One side is light fill. you use that side in summer. The other side is heavy fill. You use that on top in winter. It has a sheet that is held in place with velcro. It feels like a normal bed covering. It is much easier to use. You throw it down on the bed and roll it out. Your bed is made.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #3

DH and are strip and re-make the bed as a team....takes less than 5 min.

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
DH and are strip and re-make the bed as a team....takes less than 5 min.

Kim
Dressed I could help remake the bed in 5 minutes, but stripped, we would add a few minutes.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Dressed I could help remake the bed in 5 minutes, but stripped, we would add a few minutes.

Would be about the same amount of time for me I think. But will try it undressed to be sure. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusT View Post
...Either way I need to find a way to help the mattress slide on platform to make for an easy chore.
The surface of the bed platform of our 5th wheel was unfinished plywood. The mattress didn't slide at all. I painted the plywood with glossy paint - still no joy.

We now have a sheet of 4 mil polyethylene under the mattress. It is cut just a little smaller than the mattress itself. We can now slide the mattress easily to get the fitted sheet on the bed. If the plastic sheet gets a little out of alignment, we just tuck in any of the plastic that is sticking out. We straighten up the plastic sheet every time we turn the mattress (a couple of times a year).
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #7

MORryde Mattress Slide

Don't have one, so no recommendations either way, but MORryde makes a product that purports to help with the bed-making problem the OP reported. Here's the link:

Sweet Mattress Deck Slide - MORryde Products
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #8

We work as a team to change the sheets. We pick up the mattress and move it down a bit so we can get the fitted sheet on. Then we pick it back up and put it back in place. No sliding. Takes about 5 minutes for us to change the sheets. No problem just making the bed. Our rule is the last one out makes the bed.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #9

"We now have a sheet of 4 mil polyethylene under the mattress."
I actually have some of this and will try it tomorrow... Thanks
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I have heard owners using the self stick floor tiles on the plywood base of the bed to make it easier to move the mattress around.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
We work as a team to change the sheets. We pick up the mattress and move it down a bit so we can get the fitted sheet on. Then we pick it back up and put it back in place. No sliding. Takes about 5 minutes for us to change the sheets. No problem just making the bed. Our rule is the last one out makes the bed.

Exact same procedure we use. 5 minutes tops.
I'm always the first one out of bed though.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:45 AM   #12
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
I have heard owners using the self stick floor tiles on the plywood base of the bed to make it easier to move the mattress around.

Brian
Excellent idea. They're inexpensive, easy to cut to fit and easy to apply.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:26 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I lift corner - put foot on base and knee under mattress. With corner up in air and a bit closer - it is much easier to get fitted sheet on corner.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
It's a team effort for us as well. It only takes a couple of minutes in the morning. It's also a compromise in terms of the finished product when compared to a bed in the "sticks and bricks" house. The lack of access room and clearance between the mattress and the slideout walls near the head of the bed - make it difficult to get the heavy comforter in place. The bed is obviously made such that it looks decent - however it's not the same polished "made bed" look we can get in the sticks and bricks. If this is my only worry - I have no worries at all! :-)