Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #29

Firstly, RVs burn really well. I always have referred to fiberglass as solid gasoline. Now with that said, the good news is that rarely do motorhomes / RVs catch fire, but when they do, it is news worthy. There are many causes of RV fires, gasoline can be a factor, but I have seen diesels burn due to hot transmission fluid on exhaust. Don't assume the refrigerator alone. It's anybody's guess.

Los Angeles County Fire is a very progressive Department. If it looks like they are doing nothing upon first arriving, it is because they are busy doing other things. It does take a while to lay lines and get water flowing. Looking at the equipment that responded, it must have been during fire season, and I am sure they were worried about exposures and spreading to the wildland.

In California, we are required to investigate what we call cause and origin. Many Departments just have an investigation unit that responds to determine the fire's cause and origin, but they can be known as an arson unit. Once we eliminate natural and accidental causes then the fire becomes suspicious.

Carry more than one extinguisher, and use it to protect those who are inside to exit safely. Use the acronym "PASS"; pull, aim, squeeze, and sweep at the base of the flames. Put your extinguisher in use between the fire and the occupants, and towards the area that has already burned. Don't push the fire into an unburned area. Extinguishers are a very effective fire fighting tool. You will be amazed at what they can put out. You can get a little larger unit that comes with your coach at Costco or Walmart. I would suggest a 2A-10BC. Keep copies of important papers in a remote location, consider an online file server for important computer files and pictures for your back up. By all means concentrate your efforts on exiting, a vehicle is not worth your life.

I am on the left in the below photo op
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Greg n Larry.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	7512  

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #30

I had a friend lose his MH to fire a number of years back. He was out in the desert with his son. He had a good campfire going, but it was a breezy night. He had his front window screens open and embers went in through the window and caught his window curtains on fire. The motorhome was burned to the ground quickly. He was lucky they were outside. You have to consider a lot of different scenarios.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I always have referred to fiberglass as solid gasoline.
Only because they used the cheapest crap resin available...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief
Firstly, RVs burn really well. I always have referred to fiberglass as solid gasoline. Now with that said, the good news is that rarely do motorhomes / RVs catch fire, but when they do, it is news worthy. There are many causes of RV fires, gasoline can be a factor, but I have seen diesels burn due to hot transmission fluid on exhaust. Don't assume the refrigerator alone. It's anybody's guess.

Los Angeles County Fire is a very progressive Department. If it looks like they are doing nothing upon first arriving, it is because they are busy doing other things. It does take a while to lay lines and get water flowing. Looking at the equipment that responded, it must have been during fire season, and I am sure they were worried about exposures and spreading to the wildland.

In California, we are required to investigate what we call cause and origin. Many Departments just have an investigation unit that responds to determine the fire's cause and origin, but they can be known as an arson unit. Once we eliminate natural and accidental causes then the fire becomes suspicious.

Carry more than one extinguisher, and use it to protect those who are inside to exit safely. Use the acronym "PASS"; pull, aim, squeeze, and sweep at the base of the flames. Put your extinguisher in use between the fire and the occupants, and towards the area that has already burned. Don't push the fire into an unburned area. Extinguishers are a very effective fire fighting tool. You will be amazed at what they can put out. You can get a little larger unit that comes with your coach at Costco or Walmart. I would suggest a 2A-10BC. Keep copies of important papers in a remote location, consider an online file server for important computer files and pictures for your back up. By all means concentrate your efforts on exiting, a vehicle is not worth your life.

I am on the left in the below photo op
Thanks for the information. As said, safety first.

Also thank you for the work you do keeping us safe :-)
Bert_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
man that is horrible
interesting how the pictures look like the fd sort of did nothing for a few
then decided to cool it off.

we had one burn here and the ammonia gave off some really cool blue flames, it took just a few minutes to be just a smoking frame
I took the photos. I was in my unit when all heck broke loose and saw people running and flames shooting up from the RV. I started shooting before any EMS showed up. That is why it may look like the FD didn't do anything - they hadn't arrived yet when I shot half of those photos.

I talked to the owner. He said it started in the roof. Not sure what would have started it in the roof but if you look at the photos you can see the entire roof is on fire while only the front half of the RV is burning.

No determination as to cause (that I know of) had been made before I left yesterday. It was the owner who told me LA County was sending out an investigator. I will probably return to Malibu Beach in mid-February so there might be some news then.
rselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rselin View Post
I took the photos.
Thank you for sharing some first class images with us.

See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rselin View Post
I took the photos. I was in my unit when all heck broke loose and saw people running and flames shooting up from the RV. I started shooting before any EMS showed up. That is why it may look like the FD didn't do anything - they hadn't arrived yet when I shot half of those photos.

I talked to the owner. He said it started in the roof. Not sure what would have started it in the roof but if you look at the photos you can see the entire roof is on fire while only the front half of the RV is burning.

No determination as to cause (that I know of) had been made before I left yesterday. It was the owner who told me LA County was sending out an investigator. I will probably return to Malibu Beach in mid-February so there might be some news then.
....Thanks for the info, consider everyone very luck. Such a tragedy.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
He said it started in the roof. Not sure what would have started it in the roof
Bad AC wiring?? Wonder if they had it on? Thats scary...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote