Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-11-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Pickelhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 551
Unhappy Man claims Keystone RV is defective and SUES

Man claims Keystone RV is defective, has not been repaired | Louisiana Record
__________________

__________________
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 5,445
Not enough information to comment for or against. We don't know the whole story.
__________________

__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,658
I have to agree with Twogypsies. There really is not enough information to determine if this is real or just some attorney trying to make a buck with a frivolous lawsuit. Having been the victim of one of those lawsuits I am always skeptical when I see something like this.

I understand that many who purchase RV's have been disappointed in the quality they have received, but most dealers and manufacturers seem to stand up and repair what needs to be repaired. It can be a real situation or it could be one of those people who just can't be pleased no matter what.
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Plantation, Fl
Posts: 1,048
His only problem is a bad air conditioner, which is not made by Keystone ? He wants them to buy it back ? - funny stuff.
__________________
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
2016 Mazda CX5, on an Acme tow dolly
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 9,639
Maybe he purchased it, used it for a job and now wants to return it because he no longer needs or wants it.

Janet worked for a large department store that is no longer in business. She tells stories of ladies who purchased a Christmas gown and tried to return it the next week. Even though the dresses had sweat marks, smelled of perfume, etc they claimed it was un-used and wanted a refund. Store policy was to take the return.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,885
There is some information here:
..."because the defendants allegedly failed to repair the vehicle so as to bring it into conformity with the warranties and failed and refused to repair or repurchase the defective vehicle."

Basically it was brought back for at least one repair attempt and not repaired successfully. We don't know if there were more attempts or not.

I can tell you - in my dealings with Keystone and it's associated dealer, they had more than 5 repair attempts for single items. 3 attempts for multiple items. Keystone would not escalate the repair or offer an alternative repair facility until an attorney got involved.

The attorney wouldn't touch it until I had at least 3 repair attempts and at least 180 days total repair time. Once I hit those boundaries, they took the "case" for me on contingency.

Results of turning it over to an attorney:
1) It was returned to the factory for on-site repairs
2) Slide opening was widened/squared, slide functions, seals replaced 3 times.
3) 2nd "new roof" was installed to replace the poor repair job that the dealer did (Keystone would not authorize new roof decking). They got to do that job twice.
4) Rear bed was finally adjusted to take safety pins

I think we spent 240-ish days in repair on a "new" RV. Lost our license plate and batteries somehow on the way back... Added a year warranty to the slides.

Keystone's warranty system SUCKS, IMHO. They make the dealer responsible for too many factory defect and way underpay the dealer (compared to market rates) to make the repairs - which pushes new owners to the back of the repair line. They don't offer alternatives when a dealer fails to make a repair or shows poor competency.

Just my experience.
__________________
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 8,879
Actually, if it's the typical we love you until we get your money and then you can wait for repairs when we have time, this could be an excellent win for RV owners. Maybe a step in making dealers responsive to repairs in a timely manner.
__________________
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:04 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
ThePowells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 511
This was dismissed on March 7. They have reached some sort of settlement.
__________________
Kelly and Jerry Powell with Halo and Nash the Rat Terrorist
2017 Thor Quantum W31, Ford E-450, Onan QG4000
ThePowells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:51 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Oldman5145's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 147
I can not speak for Keystone, I have never owned one. I can tell you about Thor and Forest River. They try hard to please the customer. My Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLTS side wall cracked in a corner of one of the 3 slide openings in the first year we owned it. Forest River agreed they needed to repair it. We asked if they could wait until winter to take it back and they agreed. They fixed the TT and made a change in the axle placement to correct the problem. Five years later well out of warranty it developed a crack in the same place. My dealer contacted Forest River and they took it bck and repaired it again. What more could I ask for?
Last year we purchased a new Thor Hurricane 34J MH and they have contacted me and been very helpful with any warranty issue. I have had. They even tried to help with my Onan warranty problem. Cummins/Onan is a piece of work, but that is a completely different issue. They never build anything bad! WE put bad fuel in them and that is not a warranty item.
__________________
My greatest asset, family and friends! They are gifts from God! Jim, Pam and Bear
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J and a 2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLTS When we are at home our driveway is FULL!
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:06 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Wundertaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Actually, if it's the typical we love you until we get your money and then you can wait for repairs when we have time, this could be an excellent win for RV owners. Maybe a step in making dealers responsive to repairs in a timely manner.
OR.....make Manufacturers put out a better damn product out in the FIRST PLACE!!!
__________________
Mike, Betty & Sophie (furry companion)
MI
Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:19 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Wundertaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
There is some information here:
..."because the defendants allegedly failed to repair the vehicle so as to bring it into conformity with the warranties and failed and refused to repair or repurchase the defective vehicle."

Basically it was brought back for at least one repair attempt and not repaired successfully. We don't know if there were more attempts or not.

I can tell you - in my dealings with Keystone and it's associated dealer, they had more than 5 repair attempts for single items. 3 attempts for multiple items. Keystone would not escalate the repair or offer an alternative repair facility until an attorney got involved.

The attorney wouldn't touch it until I had at least 3 repair attempts and at least 180 days total repair time. Once I hit those boundaries, they took the "case" for me on contingency.

Results of turning it over to an attorney:
1) It was returned to the factory for on-site repairs
2) Slide opening was widened/squared, slide functions, seals replaced 3 times.
3) 2nd "new roof" was installed to replace the poor repair job that the dealer did (Keystone would not authorize new roof decking). They got to do that job twice.
4) Rear bed was finally adjusted to take safety pins

I think we spent 240-ish days in repair on a "new" RV. Lost our license plate and batteries somehow on the way back... Added a year warranty to the slides.

Keystone's warranty system SUCKS, IMHO. They make the dealer responsible for too many factory defect and way underpay the dealer (compared to market rates) to make the repairs - which pushes new owners to the back of the repair line. They don't offer alternatives when a dealer fails to make a repair or shows poor competency.

Just my experience.
HENCE...is exactly why I buy vehicles and rvs that are 1-4 years old! I let others have all that fun, take the big financial hit, and allow me to have a generally well operating vehicle with $$$ to spare! By the way...I only buy from private sellers...way more honest than dealers. 40 years of doing it this way and not a bad experience yet.
__________________
Mike, Betty & Sophie (furry companion)
MI
Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:25 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
JohnBoyToo's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, Tex-US
Posts: 4,457
Oldman, glad they took care of you, but I, and a few others I know, did not have the same result with Thor and one of their sub-companies.

So we learned there were 2 avenues in our state:
1) Lemon Law: in short, if it is 3 documented attempts at a major repair or 1 attempt at a dangerous item and not repaired. The number of days out of service also play into it differently in different states.
2) The second is merchantability, i.e. the goods must reasonably conform to an ordinary buyer's expectations, i.e., they are what they say they are and do what is implied that it is 'usable' as intended - if you can't USE the item as is implied, then you have recourse.
__________________
'11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler JKU. History.. 5'ers: 13 Redwood 38gk, 11 MVP Destiny, Open Range TT, popups, vans, tents...
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:36 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salvisa, KY
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
This was dismissed on March 7. They have reached some sort of settlement.
The guy initiating the lawsuit probably had to file suit in order for the manufacturer to finally take him seriously. Sad . . . . but often very true unfortunately.
__________________
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
fpresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: MD
Posts: 110
Quote:
OR.....make Manufacturers put out a better damn product out in the FIRST PLACE!!!
Why would they? We keep buying them as they are now. Until the customer is willing to pay more for quality instead of lowest price nothing will change.
__________________

__________________
Fulton and Donna USN Ret (both)
Maryland
2016 Tiffin 32 SA, 2013 Smart Toad
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Navistar Sues Federal EPA DriVer Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum 16 07-18-2011 08:09 PM
RV'er sues Walmart over intruder in store lot Mr Nifty iRV2.com General Discussion 46 08-10-2010 11:58 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.