Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

Maneuvering In Campground

Hi all,

Is a 40' 5ver more or less difficult to maneuver into a camp site as compared to a 40' motorhome? I'm retiring at the end of the year and my wife and I plan on doing some traveling. I went back and forth on a 5ver vs. the class A and decided on a 5ver as I liked the idea of a toy hauler where I could store the Harley.

I'm committed to the 5ver at this point as I just purchased a new 1 ton dually but am still curious.

Thanks,
Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #2

For me the 40' motor home is easier. But I was never good at backing a 5er
Old 11-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #3

Had both and one is no doubt easier to maneuver. You can get good or even great and backing a fifth wheel but until you get to that point look for pull thru spots when camping. A site long enough will make unhooking from the trailer a bunch easier and less stressful.
Best of luck on the search and post pics of your set up when you get it all put together.
There are no doubt some wonderful bike riding locations in this country. Enjoy!
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:51 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
One of the big differences Ive found in vehicle maneuvering ability is the amount of front wheel steering degree cut.

When comparing a Class A DP to a long wheel base crew cab pick-up. The Class A has in most cases twice the angle of steering cut then the pick-up does. Not goin to get into brand name callin here. But our IFS has nearly a 60 degree turning angle cut. Check it out
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #5

My cottage lot is a bit tight to get into. My 38 ft class A, and my friends 40 ft have an easier time than my friends with their 40 ft fifth wheel trailers.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
had a 40 foot fiver and long bed crew cab
now have a 40 foot bus.
hands down easier to get into tight spots or out of

turning the fiver with the pickup, is just not as easy imo as the bus
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
i would say the mh would be easier. that being said i have the trailer making my length 64 ft so it aint easy anywhere
Old 11-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

There will always be spots where a truck & 5W can manage but a motorhome cannot, but a 40 ft MH with a good front end (the steering angle mentioned) is easier in most situations that require any maneuvering at all. I've owned both and was very confident backing our 5W's, but a MH is easier 99% of the time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
I’m with the other guys. We’ve had both and put on a lot of miles, fuel stations, rv parks, etc. The motorhome is much easier the vast amount of the time. That said, if you’re paying attention and hone your skills the 5th can be talked into most places you’d reasonably want to take it. Either one, it’s about developing the skill set.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #10

Thanks for all of the replies. It sounds like I'm going to want to practice with the trailer a bit. Anything has got to be easier than backing up my 10' enclosed motorcycle trailer.

Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. It sounds like I'm going to want to practice with the trailer a bit. Anything has got to be easier than backing up my 10' enclosed motorcycle trailer.

Rick
Amen! I had a short cargo trailer for a while - it had a mind of its own when backing up. Most times I would just drop it and maneuver it by hand after parking the RV.

Backing a 5er takes time, practice and above all - a good co-pilot. Work out a signal system before you start!
Old 11-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #12

I own a 40' 5th wheel. At work I drive motorhomes and they are much easier to maneuver in tight spaces.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
Hi all,

Is a 40' 5ver more or less difficult to maneuver into a camp site as compared to a 40' motorhome? I'm retiring at the end of the year and my wife and I plan on doing some traveling. I went back and forth on a 5ver vs. the class A and decided on a 5ver as I liked the idea of a toy hauler where I could store the Harley.

I'm committed to the 5ver at this point as I just purchased a new 1 ton dually but am still curious.

Thanks,
Rick
Rick.....the big thing about backing a 5th wheel is being able to "visualize" where you need to make your turns. If you can visualize them, you'll be pretty effective at backing it in. We have friends that has NEVER been able to visualize when to start and stop turns and pulls forward and back at least 10 times at every campsite.

Keep in mind, you'll typically request pull thru sites that make life easier.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If you think about it, you can disconnect the toad (if attached) from the motorhome & then you are maneuvering ~40 ft of vehicle in the campground. But you can't disconnect a 5-r from its tow vehicle. A 40ft 5-r will most likely have a full-size, long-bed dually hauling. Even with 6ft-8ft of it sitting in the bed of the truck, combined you're trying to maneuver 55 ft or more of vehicle in the campground.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground