Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #1

Manual switch for furnace fan?

Would it be easy enough to add a manual switch to run the furnace fan and not the actual heat of the furnace? I hate using my LP when I don't have to, so, I'd like to run my furnace fan and the electric fireplace to circulate warm air throughout. Any thoughts?
shane772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

The furnace fan is a motor with two 'cage' fans on either end of the motor shaft. One pulls the air in from inside the RV, through the heat exchanger and back into the RV through the vents. The second fan is for combustion and helps push the exhaust gases out. It will run all the time too. Without the LP flame, I think you'll lose a lot of heat in the cold heat exchanger. It might be much easier to just put a small fan on the floor and blow heat from the fireplace to the colder parts of the RV. I don't think the fireplace is going to be capable of heating the whole RV, it's BTU output is much less than the furnace's capacity. Also, often the furnace has a duct outlet in the wet bay area to keep tanks and plumbing from freezing. Without the furnace, you'd need to put an incandescent light or two in there to keep it above 32º if you're in cold regions.

If your rooftop A/C is ducted, you could perhaps run one of them to circulate air, but again you're going to lose heat in the movement of the air.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #3

To answer your question, sure. Not too hard at all, several different ways to do it. It's just a 12v motor. That said, I agree with Bob's thoughts above.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Look here:
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #5

Thanks, I appreciate the input!
Old 11-10-2014, 07:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane772 View Post
Would it be easy enough to add a manual switch to run the furnace fan and not the actual heat of the furnace? I hate using my LP when I don't have to, so, I'd like to run my furnace fan and the electric fireplace to circulate warm air throughout. Any thoughts?
shane772
When on shore power I sometimes run one of my roof airs on "fan only" to circulate the warm air generated by an electric space heater, or 2.
When boondocing I use a 4" 12V muffin fan to move the warmth generated by my Buddy heater.
Never considerd using my LP furnace fan to circulate heat because it uses considerably more 12V amps than a muffin fan.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #7

I was hoping if this could be done; it would circulate the warm air through the wet bay area too. We are camping over the week of thanksgiving and it's supposed to be COLD. The fireplace keeps the coach warm enough for our liking, just not sure about the pipes and tanks w/o the furnace running. I thought this would be a good remedy but I don't think it is now. The 'cheap heat' shown in the video above is cool but, I can buy a lot of propane for the price tag plus installation.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane772 View Post
I was hoping if this could be done; it would circulate the warm air through the wet bay area too. We are camping over the week of thanksgiving and it's supposed to be COLD. The fireplace keeps the coach warm enough for our liking, just not sure about the pipes and tanks w/o the furnace running. I thought this would be a good remedy but I don't think it is now. The 'cheap heat' shown in the video above is cool but, I can buy a lot of propane for the price tag plus installation.
shane772
X2 on the so called "Cheap Heat", (which IMO is NOT "cheap").

If I have shore power in COLD weather I use 1 or 2 electric space heaters in the coach..... AND one in the basement controlled by one of these:
Thermo Cube TC-3 - On at 35 Degrees, Off at 45 Degrees

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
shane772.....as long as you have electric power, just throw a "trouble light" with a 100 watt bulb into the wet bay to keep things warm enough.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #10

I added a Gas or Electric switch to use the space heater with the forced air gas blower. I made a simple removable metal cover for the outside vents. The new inline wall thermostat is optional. This was done on our last 5th wheeler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GasElec.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	78629   Click image for larger version

Name:	EleHeat.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	78630  

Old 11-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #11

very interesting IdahoSRT10, this may accomplish exactly what I'm wanting
Old 11-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #12

Not sure of your setup, but on mine the down side of using furnace fan would be it is ducted in the basement so may cool off air in duct, if your trying to keep basement from freezing that's a good thing.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, furnace, manual