Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Map Software / Navigation Tool Suggestions?

My wife and I are in our second day of our first extended trip outside our state - and for the first time are in areas that are completely unfamiliar to us. We've quickly come to realize that we've got some work to do when it comes to the navigator's role. We've also come to realize that while the coach's GPS system is great for the driver and "what's the next turn" sort of navigation - it's not well suited for keeping track of the "big picture".

We're now in the market for better tools to put at the navigator's disposal. What I'd really like to find is a software application that provides the following functionality:

Ability to recommend a route based on a starting point, a destination and any specific waypoints specified.
•Ability to use location services to constantly/automatically update "current" location in near real time.
•Stats ​regarding time/distance to destination and/or distance traveled from start.
•Ability to toggle betwe​en "map view" and "satellite view" (so that navigator can reconnoiter "tight areas" (i.e., see the layout of wherever we need to stop ... such as fuel stops, parking lots, etc.)
•It needs to run an iPad device​
•Offline Map functionality would be nice - but not an absolute requirement
Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks! ​

2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

The only app with which I have experience that can do (most, if not all of) what you want is Google Maps.

2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is what I have used since 1999 and very happy with it.

Nick & Diana
2005 Journey 34H C7 Cat. 350 HP
Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4
easy going is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
We've used Delorme for over 20 years.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:10 PM   #5
My favorite iPad app is InRoute

It does waypoints and has a nice function that will show you elevation gain
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #6

Map Software / Navigation Tool Suggestions?

While I use dedicated GPS', Copilot is what I run on my iPhone. On my iPad I have HEMA maps (doesn't do routing, but has a great set of maps).

Tim Bowman
1994 Montara
Tim Bowman
Burien, WA
1994 Fleetwood Montara
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:26 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We use gps just for navigation to destination and I would say they are all fairly good. We use a couple of different apps while on-route that we find very helpful.

One of my faves is truckerpath it shows everything from Walmart's to fuel and truck stops.

Steph and Eden

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Steph and Eden
Miramichi, NB
Miramichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
What ever nav system you buy don't forget the paper maps. I don't care how good the nav system is, your sooner or later need and I mean need the paper map. GPS are dumb machines. They will take ou places you bout want to go. You and a paper map are smart.
05 Meridian, 39K, 350 CAT. '13 F-150 4X4, Blue Ox Aventa LX, Roadmaster 9160.
dc8cappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:01 AM   #9

Originally Posted by dc8cappie View Post
What ever nav system you buy don't forget the paper maps. I don't care how good the nav system is, your sooner or later need and I mean need the paper map. GPS are dumb machines. They will take ou places you bout want to go. You and a paper map are smart.
I completely agree with this.
I'm a geek and love my electronic navigation devices (I use Google Maps, btw. I'd suggest an inexpensive 10" or so tablet and then use Google's free navigation.), but I always make sure to keep an atlas in whatever vehicle we're traveling in. And we normally buy new ones every couple of years just to keep them more or less accurate.
Podivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by dc8cappie View Post

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #11
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
X's 3 on having a good atlas paper map!

-Route plan via old Microsoft Street & Trips (last version available)
-Preview our today's route via the atlas printed map
-Travel during the day with a Garmin
-If ever in doubt on a specific leg of the days travel, and always when we're getting with 10-15 miles of our destination, navigator also always turns on the iPhones Google Mapping Directions.

The Garmin and the iPhone, as well as other apps mentioned, can have options for current traffic conditions, with route alterations suggestions.

We also always check the destinations websites for Directions.

Usually all goes well, but if in doubt, I never have a problem with pulling over or off - and taking to the time to feel I know for sure where and what I'm doing (Not always an easy task, in my case!). And, we've been known to call the park and ask for specifics, when all else fails!

Best to all, travel safe, have fun,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #12
I just purchased the new Truckers GPS - Garmin DEZL 770LMTHD Blutooth 7" display with traffic and weather. I can download additional POI's if need be. So far I really like it. Allows to set up your particular "truck" (RV) dimensions as well as any additional restrictions to include HAZMAT (propone)...lots of additional amenities. A little pricy but after researching for months RV specific GPS vs Truckers...I chose the truckers system.

As stated none of them are perfect, why I always use my atlas as well!
Steve & Debbie
2016 Thor ACE 30.1
US Army Vet (Retired)
campersRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
This is why I like using an iPad rather than a a dedicated GPS device, multiple apps.

I currently use a combination of Copilot, Google Maps, Allstays, Radarscope and Wundermaps in the RV for navigation. Copilot is the primary navigation app with offline maps and good routing, but I might double check it on Google maps along with satellite, then flip over to Radarscope for weather, or Allstays for reviews or gas stops.

No one app is going to do it, but an iPad has many apps to choose from and 4 finger swipe multitasking makes it easy to switch between them. Also have Dashcommand for engine monitoring then we have music, email, messaging , web great multi function device for the RV.

2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote