Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

Marker light help

Hello, new to this site, so hopefully I am posting in the right area...but I have a 1989 Chev Jamboree motorhome and two of my rear upper marker lights (the whole body) need to be replaced. However, the screws stick out from the body and have no access to the head, with the nut attached inside the marker light housing. The nuts are rusted stuck so the screws/bolts just spin. Does anyone have any suggetions on how to move past this?
2names is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're going to replace the whole light, base, lens and all why not just gently pry them off anyway you can. Buy matching or compatible lights first, making sure the mounting holes are the same distance apart. Caulk the new lights with a good, non-silicon caulk, the lights are a common site for leaks. You might want to replace all 5 at that end so all the lights match in size, shape, and so forth.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:51 AM   #3

Be careful.....many Mfg's run the hot and neg power through the area behind the lights and use those screws as the anchor point for the power to the fixtures. I just replaced all of my marker lights with LED's and the LED's came with pig tails that bypass the screw mounting contacts of the old light. On the rear one's the wires were pulled through a hole on the MH at each light so they were easy to cut and wire directly to the new fixture pig tails using crimp connectors.

However on the fronts all the wiring was hidden behind the fixtures....no holes or exposed wires anyplace....the only way to power the new LED's was to crimp on ring terminals and re-use the screws sticking through the MH wall. I also believe that they are wired in a series like Christmas lights, so power goes from one fixture to another to another. So, if you mess up and lose one of those screws, or spin it too much and break off the wire behind the wall....that fixture won't work, nor will any wired after that one.

One more thing, my new lights were a lower profile, which meant that I had to take my Dremel and cut off about 3/8ths inch off every single screw to get the lens to snap on the base plate. Kind of a pain, but they are all done. I used these off fleabay:

10x Red Amber camper Trailer RV Light 6LED CLEARANCE 4" x 2"Side Marker Assembly | eBay

I can take some pictures if needed...just let me know.........

Btw, I have a box full of the old fixtures and covers....if you want them, PM me...it will just cost you shipping.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #4

Motor7 I am thinking you are right, the wiring for the lights are more complicated than I first thought and what you say makes sense with what I have going on. I will try and work the nut loose so I can still use the same bolt.
2names is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light