Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

Mattress for my coach

We are replacing the queen mattress in our coach. 78" is the max length and 10" is max depth we can go. Any suggestions on what type of mattress to get? Has anyone tried those foam mattresses for RVs. Thanks for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #2

We have had Serta i Comfort in 2 5th wheels.......one a queen and just got our new king the other day for our new 5ver......love them!

Old 01-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTRich View Post
We are replacing the queen mattress in our coach. 78" is the max length and 10" is max depth we can go. Any suggestions on what type of mattress to get? Has anyone tried those foam mattresses for RVs. Thanks for your input.
Hi JohnT and welcome to the forum. There are lots of folks here to help you.

Changing to a memory foam mattress greatly increased our quality of life. They can be easily cut to any size needed. The memory foam mattresses are much better than the thin toppers.

Using the search window at the top of the page reveals lots of info already discussed on the topic of "memory foam". The link below will show you the search results. All the best.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=4EN....0.DhDyY7Hbi-4
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:03 AM   #4

You can look at putting a 3-4" gel or foam mattress topper on your existing mattress if it isn't worn out. The toppers can make a big difference and you can trim them to fit with a utility knife.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:24 AM   #5

Do some reviews on latex mattress,from a retired mattress manufacturer.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:52 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Hi JohnT and welcome to the forum. There are lots of folks here to help you.

Changing to a memory foam mattress greatly increased our quality of life. They can be easily cut to any size needed. The memory foam mattresses are much better than the thin toppers.
DW happened to find a sale at Bed Bath & Beyond and snagged a 3" memory foam mattress that I trimmed to fit our king bed in our Challenger.
Best $160 we ever spent. (was $300 reg price)

I hit that mattress and I'm out in 5 min.

Now, I would much rather sleep in our RV bed now than on our California King pillow top in our house.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #7
IC2

Is there is any way to gain 2 more inches in length for the 'standard' 60x80 queen? Can you remove a headboard or even add to the bed platform length. If so, any mattress seller will have a selection. Height wise, I cut the bed platform down by about 5 inches when we added one of the new pillow top mattresses but this is not a project for the faint of heart or if your tools are scant.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
ahhh..... Mattresses..... Ok, I'm currently on my 6th moho. Best combination that I have found is a standard queen size inter coil mattress for firmness with a memory foam topper. this combo seems to work the best in mohos.

I've tried the foam RV mattresses but they seem so light and I tend to bottom out when I sit on them, so we added the memory foam and it stopped the bottoming out problem and was comfy to sleep on.

How thick on the topper???? depends on you personal preference, I'd say no less than 1.5 inch for a real firm sleep. I use 3" on ours but have seen that they make them thicker. For one coach I had a inner coil mattress made for it, but still used a topper.

Yes, there are still mattress manufactures around. Last time I had one made, just a plain jane extra firm with a hotel cover it was about $550 for a queen. I still sleep on it.

I think they overcharge for the mem foam toppers. Here is the thing about built in mem foam topper mattresses, you can't flip the mattress as should be done every couple of years or so. One side up only... that is why adding your own mem topper is better.

Last but not least, if the cover is dirty but the coils are still good, you can use an upolstrey cleaner. spray clothing spot remover on the spots and fresh hot water will do the trick to make it look and feel like new. Work dry! If there is a lot of liquid (pee) or pet damage then use frebreeze to help get rid of the smell.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #9

Rv Queen Mattress

Thanks for all the input. I will check out some of the suggestions.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #10

We love this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Zinus 10" thick, short queen, Combination coil spring and foam top, best of both worlds, Ships in a box and is reasonably priced.

Wife and I find it more comfy than our high priced bed at home.
RHD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
We just purchase a LUCID 10" rv size queen....Has gel and topper...heavenly sleeping! Under $300!
Old 01-22-2018, 10:45 PM   #12

Since I cannot see paying hundreds and even thousands for these bedding sets they have out of late, I have been adding those thick eggshell and other foam type toppers. They make pretty much anything feel much much better!! Amazon has them from $15 on up to a little over a hundred so it's easy to switch them out yearly or so if desired. Saves the mattress from sweat stains, etc. as well.

And later, much later on down the road if my RV is still doing well (or even if not and I end up spending my later years in it parked in a park), I intend to "enlarge" the bedroom by removing the current mattress, taking a saw (carefully) to the frame around the water storage tank and shortening it to a bit bigger than a twin size daybed sized mattress frame giving me 6 to 8 feet of extra floor.

And 6x16 has become 6x12 inside....
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:54 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We went to a local mattress store and the DW found the type she wanted. They took our measurements and ordered one custom made for our RV. If I remember right they got it in 7 days from the day we ordered it. I drove the coach to the store and they took the old mattress out and disposed of it then installed the new one at no extra charge.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:05 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Check this brand out https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097X6730...productDetails

I had the full queen size in our old motorhome and I will be getting another one for the new motorhome. We liked it so much we have the 14" model in our S&B.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress