Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #1

Mattresses. Again.

We have a sleep number in the S&B which we like but the sleep number in the coach is another story.

I've added a layer of foam between the air chambers and cover which helped slightly. I have 2 mattress pads on it which also helped slightly but it is still not very comfy. I have to have a pretty firm (60 or 65 setting) but Gary likes a softer squishier (50 setting).

We tried the foam toppers in another coach and were not impressed but the mattress was not a sleep number. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

If you've added a topper to a sleep number and like it, please share!

We're even considering a new mattress (without numbers). Does anyone have recommendations?
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
Our coach came with a sleep number and my wife added a topper that is a little thicker at the head end which helps her sleeping. It sleeps fine although mattress slips during the night so going to do something to fix that.
spider64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #3

We ordered our RV without the mattress and shopped around until we found one we liked. Never had a Sleep Number so I cannot comment on that.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think we're gonna try this one!

Amazon.com: Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper - Medium Firmness - 2" Queen Size: Home & Kitchen
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may want to take a look at this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/brent...ng-285592.html
We went with the 13" Brentwood. A bit firmer for me but DW loves it.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #6

We added a 3 inch gel topper to our sleep number in our rv and it made a big difference. We love it.
DavidR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I looked at that one! I was hoping not to pay that much but will if it works. It has good reviews and since we aren't full timing, it should hold up well for our use. Why don't you get and report back in a month or two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
You may want to take a look at this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/brent...ng-285592.html
We went with the 13" Brentwood. A bit firmer for me but DW loves it.
Thanks! The Brentwood doesn't come in the size we need but the Dynasty does. I really don't want to pay that much for a mattress but since the latex topper mentioned above is about 1/2 of the price, it may be worth it. I'd love to hear from those that have the Dynasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR2007 View Post
We added a 3 inch gel topper to our sleep number in our rv and it made a big difference. We love it.
Is the gel cooler than the foam toppers? Which did you get, how long have you had it and does it bottom out?
Old 05-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #8

We got it at Target 3 years ago and it hasn't bottomed out yet. It is a 3 inch Gel Select Memory Foam topper. It is cooler than a regular foam topper.
DavidR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 AM   #9

mattress

We had a king air mattress in our coach. Never did like the way it slept. Spent a ton of time on the internet trying to find a California {88"x71"}. We wanted a little narrower one than the king but wider than normal queen. Did not want a foam one. We finally found a custom mattress maker. They were wonderful. The guy asked if we had enough height. I did not think of that but we did need a little less height than a normal mattress. They can make any size. They had several brands. We were really surprised as one of their best brands was not that expensive. They are located in Phoenix and can make mattress in one day. Mattress factory 602-272-9871. When looking on the new don't but in mattress try RV or marine mattress. Just my two cents

safe travels all
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #10
MnP

3 inch gel foam topper purchased at Costo installed over a Sleep number RV king mattress. Works great. Sleeps great.

Mike
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:13 AM   #11

*****UPDATE*****

I purchased the 2" Green-Natural-Latex-Mattress-Topper and we got a chance to try it out over the last few nights.

It really helped. We could still tell a difference when adjusting the sleep number under it and after some experimenting, I think we both left them at the setting they were on. We've had memory foam pads on another bed and there is a difference in this latex pad. It is firmer/denser and the support is much improved and it's certainly not as hot. The label said it weighs 32 lbs.

There was a slight odor when I first unrolled it but nothing awful and it dissipated quickly. On the inner bag, in one corner there was an arrow pointing the direction the top should go. Luckily, it happened to be right side up so I didn't have to wrestle the pad again but it's something to note and have the up side, up! I hope it doesn't collapse like the memory foam did.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
I purchased the 2" Green-Natural-Latex-Mattress-Topper and we got a chance to try it out over the last few nights.

It really helped. We could still tell a difference when adjusting the sleep number under it and after some experimenting, I think we both left them at the setting they were on. We've had memory foam pads on another bed and there is a difference in this latex pad. It is firmer/denser and the support is much improved and it's certainly not as hot. The label said it weighs 32 lbs.

There was a slight odor when I first unrolled it but nothing awful and it dissipated quickly. On the inner bag, in one corner there was an arrow pointing the direction the top should go. Luckily, it happened to be right side up so I didn't have to wrestle the pad again but it's something to note and have the up side, up! I hope it doesn't collapse like the memory foam did.

Glad to hear that! We plan to buy this one before our next long trip (the month of September)! Keep us updated as you continue to use it! Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #13

thanks for all the ideas,, new to us Phaeton with sleep number, we camped out in the yard Saturday night and lasted about 3 hrs.. that mattress was just Awful.... we will try some of these ideals....
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:21 AM   #14
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thanks for sharing. I sleep on the hot side and tried the wool topper. It helped a little but hoped for more. This pad has great reviews so I'll give it a try. I'll report back this summer with my review.
Bill