Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Maximizing storage space

I have heard, and somewhat agree, that the storage space of Class C's are somewhat limited. When I look at space that seems to be wasted I begin to wonder if anyone else utilizes that unused space. For example, I read that some people hang clothes in the shower to dry. That seems like a good idea to me. How about the bed over the cockpit? Do any of you store "stuff" on top there while driving? ( Securing it, naturally) I have in my basement a rather large ice chest. I was thinking of perhaps lining it so as to not do damage to it, and then maybe put my camp stove, cast iron grill, etc. down there.
How do you utilize any available free space to maximize your CCC? Just wondering.

Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lots of creative ideas out there. I would be a little careful about drying clothes in the shower...watch for the moisture issue. The other thing I wonder about is how close a Class C is to GVWR and just how much stuff you can cram in it.

Everyone has an idea of what is convenient. I would wonder if it might getting old pulling things out of other boxes just to get to them. Then again, I am working on developing a full time mentality and my wife wants convenient. LOL That might be an interesting clash of goals.

Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
When we had a Class 'C', we would storage our firearms between the pads for the front upper bed. Ours had a two piece cushion so one was stacked on top of the other. Also in the shower we had hooks glued to the side walls so that we could hang rain gear and muddy cloths. As far as under the coach storage, I had some 1/2" dense foam that we use to lines it so things would not get too beat up. One thing that we have learned is not to 'cram' too much stuff in the outside storage compartments. Leave room for the air to move around.
Now with the Class 'A' that we have I used several Rubber Maid containers. They work really well.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
In our class C we had very little storage & wardrobe areas (it was a '78 bunkhouse). DH & I lived out of suitcases that were stored on the bed over the cab while driving & then his sat in the drivers seat & mine in the passenger seat while camped. We used our shower for storage as it was too small to actually shower in. One outside storage bin had the genny & the other had tools. We even stored stuff on the bunks while driving and then unloaded them (outside chairs & whatnot) when we camped.
Never criticize a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes... then you're a mile away & you've got their shoes!
Katina, Dave & kiddos ~ '97 Thor Residency 35'
kat_nda_sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
We even stored stuff on the bunks while driving and then unloaded them (outside chairs & whatnot) when we camped.
We still do that in our 41' Type A! The two kitty kondos, two chairs and a couple table lamps are on the queen bed. Maybe even some clothes since we can't get to the closet till the bedroom slide is out.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote