Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Can you borrow me $10 bucks

From whom would you like me to borrow it from?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I gotta admit, I'm a little surprised the same folks that are complaining here about someone gramma hasn't said boo about the abuse of the comma in the topic title.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ain't seen nothin' like it no place.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #32

FWIW it is not only people who do not know proper grammar. Add a lot of speech to text because folks are using devices without a keyboard.

While you are at it most of us older folks did not learn to type in school so we are not as competent on the keyboard as those who did. That puts us at the mercy of spell checkers that may or may not pick the correct word. Often trying to fix it is not worth the effort.

In other places spell checks are done at the end so hitting the replacement word often sends the message before we can make sure we did not fat finger the choice.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #33
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I gotta admit, I'm a little surprised the same folks that are complaining here about someone gramma hasn't said boo about the abuse of the comma in the topic title.

I was going to correct the title to proper grammar, but it's more ironic that I don't.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I was going to correct the title to proper grammar, but it's more ironic that I don't.

Lori-
Old 10-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #35

Things surely have changed over the years. The latest that bugs my wife and I is when you thank a waiter or someone helping you and their reply is "No problem." It would be nice to just hear some of the younger generation respond with your welcome. Every now and then we do and it gives us hope.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #36

I am bad at grammar, but good at making money.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Next big education change is the eradication of cursive writing.
Many elementary schools have already eliminated cursive from the curriculum. I taught algebra and geometry in a gifted and talented academy, and required variables be written in cursive. I provided a cursive alphabet on my website as most of my students did not know their cursive letters.

I must agree that as our language evolves - and it has been continuously evolving - that some of the grammar has resulted in changes I still have some problems accepting. The disappearance of whom and were, and the confusion of less and few come to mind.

But I am an old man, and when my generation disappears, these examples, and many others, will also disappear and be considered archaic. If you doubt that, reflect back upon your parents' or grandparents' vocabulary and speech patterns.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I am bad at grammar, but good at making money.
Me too^^^^ I married an English teacher was much better then sitting in English class
Old 10-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #39

my concern is the lack of education of our youth. todays educators are lazy yet they want more pay. when i was in school, when we turned in our work we had to show on paper how we arrived at our answers. our math problems had to be worked out completely. we had to take notes no tape recorders. now the teachers allow tape recorders, calculators, and computers in the class, some schools even provide the tablets. when you go into a business now the cashier can't even give you change unless they see it on the display, if they had to figure it out in their heads they would be lost. well i could go on and on but the bottom line is i think our children should be taught how to use their brains before their taught about the newest technology.

ps and i know my grammer stinks but i'm 60 years old, retired, and i've already made my mark on the world so it does'nt matter
Old 10-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #40

Proper grammar is like good personal grooming habits. You can ignore them if you wish, but don't be surprised when others form their own opinions.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:30 PM   #41

Grammar?
I had dat wen I had a JOB
Twas required then.
I B retired.
If you unnerstandvda message, all is well.
Taint the words
Tis da message.
I can talk plain or messy.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:40 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel1155 View Post
todays educators are lazy yet they want more pay.
What is your basis for this statement? What do you know about what a teacher's job entails? You said you are 60 years old. Does that mean you haven't been in a classroom for a while? If so, where do you get your information?

I retired from teaching 3 years ago at the age of 70. I know what a teacher has to do in the daily routine. I know about the extra hours before and after school to help students. I know about the hours spent at home grading papers, preparing lessons, etc.

You seem upset that students are using the tools of the day in their education. Why? Calculators? I learned to use a slide rule. But it was the calculator of the day, so I used a calculator in 1959. Computers? Why not? That's what the world uses today. We use the tools available. I use a cordless electric drill, not a brace and bit. I drive a car, not a horse and buggy.

Yes, the classroom is not the same as the one you attended. But the world these students will live in is not the one you that you have lived in either.

AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace