Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased my current rv from mcmahons last year paid cash and sales tax. Mcmahons didn't pay the dmv sales tax and my temp registration expired after several calls and run arounds from mcmahons they issued me a second temp registration finally after 5 months I got my permanent tags.
I think this is a game they play with other peoples money.
I will never deal with them again.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowreef View Post
Ok, maybe a little devil's advocate is in order here. They are supposed to pay within 21 days, today is day 23. It is technically over, but is it way over? Is it get an attorney over? I'm sorry but I don't think so. While it does rise to incompetence, I wouldn't categorize 2 days over as trying to rip you off or cause for getting all these agencies involved. They even cut you a check for the extra monthly payment you had to make!!!! By the way, BBB concerns themselves with how the issue was resolved, seems to me that by paying your extra out of pocket expense they temporarily resolved the issue while they make their payment to the credit union. They made you whole, you don't have any damages until your next payment is due.

You have one transaction you are worried about, and to you it's the end of the world if it's not handled in a timely manner because it's your transaction, it is personal. To some sap over there, it is one of a hundred pieces of paper sitting on his desk waiting on who knows what, it is also just business and not personal. Maybe the gal took some vacation days, maybe sick days, maybe the boss (who signs the checks) has been away with the gal that processes the papers sipping mai tais on some beach. Who knows what the reason is, but there are a million and one reasons (including my assessment of incompetence on their part) for that payment being late other than they are trying to rip you off.

My last trade-in, I had the same thing happen. I had to make TWO payments before it was all squared away. In the end the dealership sent full payment to the bank and the bank reimbursed me the overage from the extra payments I made. I never once felt they were trying to rip me off or considered causing such a hooplah. I did feel like they were incompetent as heck and didn't care about my inconvenience.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, take a deep breath. Sometimes "tomorrow" means two or three business days, especially during the holidays.
Thanks Yellowreef, I appreciate your encouragememt to take a deep breath.

I am normally a VERY laid back person. I rarely get all spun up over such things... I know "stuff happens"...

But if 17 years in Law Enforcement has taught me anything, it's this:

"Always follow your gut"

And my gut insticts are telling me that something wrong is going on here.

They way that everyone has been acting, and the manner at which this situation has been handled so far, has my suspicions going crazy!

I find it interesting that this type of thing seems to happen with more than just a random, coincidental amount of frequency.

What benefit is it to the dealership to delay making such payments? I would think that it would be in their best interests to flip the toy hauler as fast as they can... This would mean obtaining possession of the title asap, and getting it off of their lot and off to the wholesaler in the least amount of time possible.

My turn to play devil's advocate:

Could it be that in this depressed economy, their day to day operational expenses exceed their sales rates and they are forced to "float" the money just to keep the lights on?

Who knows, but This fact remains.... they are breaking the law. The california Car buyers protection act of 2009 applies to ALL vehicle dealership sales, including RV's and motorcycles.

http://http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/olin/09_olin/09olin19.pdf

McMahon's knows this, yet they continue to do it. The question here is "WHY?"

If I would've for one second thought that this would happen, I would NEVER have purchased from them. It's bad business, unethical, iilegal, and fraudulent.

Not to mention, it has me stressing out completley. We are supposed to go out in the toy hauler camping for New Years. This trip will likely be cancelled because I'm worried that I'm going to have to be paying two trailer payments for who knows how long...

Here is a link to another thread, where the OP had a similar experience... http://http://www.irv2.com/forums/bl...practices-748/

Can I ask you, when you were waiting for your dealership to pay your trade off, were you at least somewhat concerned? Were you happy about making those TWO payments? Did you make any calls or pursue any avenues to protect yourself? How long would you have waited before you reported them or taken any action? How long do you suggest I wait?

When they called my Credit Union for the 10 day pay-off amount, the amount they were quoted is different than the amount that is owed now... More interest has accrued. If they "cut the check" last week like they say they did, then how are they going to resolve the additonal amount that is owed?

Something isn't right here. I am sure of it. This is more than just poor business practice and inept employees.

If I can help it, I won't be one of their victims... And I won't allow some other poor family to suffer becasue of their shenanegains either...

I'm going to make a WHOLE LOT of Hooplah!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Well, at least the OP did go back and change the thread name.

Nope... I think a Mod did that...
Old 12-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
And...is it 21 days or 21 business days? Hope you get this resolved.

It's 21 calendar days

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/olin/09_olin/09olin19.pdf
Old 12-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
When I bought my last MH. The title took 2 months. All kinds of excuses, signed in the wrong area, sitting at the DMV, etc... I was just as concerned as you are right now. I paid cash had a bill of sale but no title. Hopefully your issue turns out to be the same as mine, total incompetence on the part of the broker. Good luck, let us know how you make out.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
this is a common occurance. I would find out where your trade in is. Really you are foolish for letting it go without payment in full. THe fact you had payments automatically deducted... its your problem not the dealers. Same way you sell a vehicle to someone who bounces a check.
Contractually speaking... you didnt get any consideration (funds for your trade in).
Would you let someone take an expensive item w/o paying in full?

Ignorance is no excuse I know, but this is the first thing I have EVER purchased where a trade-in was involved... With all the paperwork, documents and such, and while dealing with a Licensed business, one would be reasonable in thinking that this type of thing wouldn't happen...

I have a signed contract stating that they gave me $17,700 for my trade-in... Where is that money at? I was assured that they would forward that check to my Credit Union...

How many people in similar situations actually demand a check right there, and hand-carry it to thier old bank?

I know next time, I will...
Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #21

December 22,2011 is 21 working days from November 22,2011/this coming Tuesday. They are still within the legal limits for fulfilling the contract; as I understand the facts you presented. And yes, floating the money is a common practice, even for huge corporations than have millions of ready cash on hand. Most people "float" money by waiting until the due date of the statement to pay, rather than paying the same day the statement arrives.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
When I bought my last MH. The title took 2 months. All kinds of excuses, signed in the wrong area, sitting at the DMV, etc... I was just as concerned as you are right now. I paid cash had a bill of sale but no title. Hopefully your issue turns out to be the same as mine, total incompetence on the part of the broker. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Will Do! thx
Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
December 22,2011 is 21 working days from November 22,2011/this coming Tuesday. They are still within the legal limits for fulfilling the contract.
Nope... NOT working days... Calendar days... See comment #18 above.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #24

Thanks for the responses everyone! I really appreciate it!

I'll be off for a while.... Haven't eaten all day..

I'll be back later! Have a great night all!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthegun

Can I ask you, when you were waiting for your dealership to pay your trade off, were you at least somewhat concerned? Were you happy about making those TWO payments? Did you make any calls or pursue any avenues to protect yourself? How long would you have waited before you reported them or taken any action? How long do you suggest I wait?

When they called my Credit Union for the 10 day pay-off amount, the amount they were quoted is different than the amount that is owed now... More interest has accrued. If they "cut the check" last week like they say they did, then how are they going to resolve the additonal amount that is owed?

Something isn't right here. I am sure of it. This is more than just poor business practice and inept employees.

If I can help it, I won't be one of their victims... And I won't allow some other poor family to suffer becasue of their shenanegains either...

I'm going to make a WHOLE LOT of Hooplah!

In my case I wasn't as much concerened as I was annoyed. I didn't think they were trying to pull a fast one, I just thought they were about as competent as the DMV and slow as molasses. No, I didn't pursue any avenues to "protect myself". Yes, I made calls and was given excuses. I wasn't really checking on it every day or anything either though. The only time it came up is when I had to make those payments. Actually, you have been treated better than I was because they cut you a check for the payment. It's not that I didn't care, I just never thought it was any kind of fraudulent shady thing like you seem to think it is. I mean, they are two days past what they should be and you're talking lawyers and reporting it stolen. Maybe you were in this profession of ours a little too long and expect the worst from people right off the bat. I tend not to conduct my personal business that way, I get enough ulcers from work.

By the way, since you brought up the payoff amount... Now that they cut you a check for your monthly payment the payoff will change again. They will wait to have the correct adjusted payoff before cutting that check. Not to give you any further aggravation, but that is most likely what will happen and very likely why it didnt happen "tomorrow" like they said.

Anyways, i'm not saying to take it lying down just trying to put things into perspective a little bit. Maybe it is advantageous to their accounting to delay payment as long as they can, but I'm fairly certain that now that you went there in person, raised a stink and they had to cut you a check, they will finally make the payment. If nothing else because they dont want you raising another stink. Anyways, good luck and let us know ow it goes.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a letter to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, Odds are they regulate dealers Copy to the Attorney General's office and to the Credit union. NOTE: many government agencies these days prefer E-mail. And the DMV may have a complaint form on it's web page for you to fill out (In which case you skip the Atty Gen)
Old 12-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #27

After opening the link in post 18, I see I confused calender and work days. I did notice that is for autos, no mention of trailers.
I hope you reach a successful conclusion. Life is hard enough without outsiders ruining your credit rating and your reputation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #28

Not everyone knows you are on the hook for you trade in until it's payed off. The banks don't care they loaned you the money. It's pretty common for car lots to pay off slow, it's money in their pocket.