Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2015, 03:38 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
I'm afraid that what we see in campground is only a symptom. The behaviours and attitudes described are represented all over the place. Parking lots, restaurants, movie theaters, you name it. It seems that people really don't care about their impact on their neighbours or environment anymore (to be fair there has always been this kind around but now they seem to be in far greater numbers).
It is sad, but it seems that respect somewhere along the way has fallen by the wayside. Perhaps as we get older we notice more, not sure. Lets hope it turns around and the campers that have respect for people and property outlast the ones that have lost it. It's a different world now and lets hope the good camping family prevail.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
It is sad, but it seems that respect somewhere along the way has fallen by the wayside. Perhaps as we get older we notice more, not sure. Lets hope it turns around and the campers that have respect for people and property outlast the ones that have lost it. It's a different world now and lets hope the good camping family prevail.
Perhaps as we get older we complain more.
It was in the 50's when the Hell Angels organized and the kids back then and the movies loved their bad boy image. Of course Rock and Roll is to blame for most obnoxious behavior. Started in the 50's. Those darn hippies were considered awful in the 60's and now they are us. The "baby boomers" and I am one of them, have been accused of being loud, crude, rude and obnoxious (and spoiled rotten) by previous generations and I'm sure the "millennials" will be complaining about the darn whipper snappers when they get older.

I was at a campground in Roswell a couple months ago and it was the only time since I've been camping and full timing that I had to go over and tell the jerk next to us that he was the biggest A-hole that I had ever met. He was in his fifties or sixties!

Old 05-29-2015, 07:24 AM   #17

" A 60 ish something pair of civilians who are basically their to check registrations and sell firewood. They are completely without the will or the authority to try and enforce regulations. "

Sirpurrsival,

It would appear that you have never camp hosted. Camp hosts are told that they are not law or even rule enforcement agents. They can try to talk nicely to rule breakers and are to call the local law enforcement on law breakers. I am one of those 60 ish people you mentioned, but I am 70 ish and have better sense than to try to enforce the law on 3-4 drunken 30 year old punks. If I were to try, I would be over-stepping my bounds and would become a liability to the campground.
halfwright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #18

Sounds like why we avoid the campgrounds on the big holiday weekends.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #19

I'm afraid that this is not just a camping issue, but society in general. You see it when driving, shopping, and in your own neighborhood. Consideration for others seems to be a thing of the past.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #20

"Me" Generation Ruining Campgrounds - Rant

This is a common problem that is only properly enforced by the CG mgt.
After 40+ years of camping and RVing, I have determined it is just one of those things that I tolerate. I can tune-out just about anything!
But we will move just to change the outdoor wallpaper, so.....
You can pound yer fists til they turn pink, but you ain't gonna change the way people are.
BTW, we reviews CGs before we go there. We filter out the dregs like "there were too many people on bicycles" or "too dusty" (it's in the desert). But we DO pay attention to the real negatives...and positives.
rvparkreviews.com
Allstays
Many more
Happy Trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Was laughing so hard reading this thread, thanks everyone for the humor. I am GenX for what its worth, and have a different perspective.

See this unfold all the time, same old thing at every camp ground, rarely to us, but once in a while. There is always some old man at every RV park who thinks its his job to tell everyone else how it is. 9 times out of 10 that old man is walking away madder than when he walked over because whomever told him to pound sand.

Have run into this old man a few time myslef, not very often but a few times, never for noise or dogs or trash. Because I am big and long, every so often, this old man feels its his job to tell me about how I parked, or how crooked I am, or how I am sticking out, or how I am too big.

About 50% of the time, the smart old man comes to see me. Smart old man says hi, introduces himself, asks us where were from, where were going, how are trip is so far, etc, etc., before he starts to complain about our size. This old man always gets a hand shake, and appology from me, and always leaves with a smile.

The other 50% of the time, we get grumpy, grouchy, pissed off old man. This old man comes over and starts straight away telling me about whatever he has a problem with, and how we need to fix it, etc. This old man leaves really pissed off, because I don't take kindly to old man complaining and telling me how it is.

There is always 2 sides to every issue, a lot of people tend to forget that, and only see their side, this is human nature and we are all guilty of it. People also tend to forget that not everyone enjoys camping in the same way. Some enjoy the peacefulness, quite, star gazing, and overall tranquility of the experience. Others enjoy a big fire, loud music and drinking heavily with the friends and family. While sometimes others way of camping impacts others, which is rude, that is their way, they paid their nickle for a ticket to ride, same as rest of us.

I try to use a very simple rule for camping. I don't want anyone coming to complain to me about anything, and I am not going to go complain to anyone else about anything. Trust me, have had times where I wanted to go complain, but always refrained. Know this is hard for some, especially the know it all, smarter than everyone else old man, but its always the best approach, especially when alcohol is involved.

Hope I did not offend too many, just trying to offer a different perspective.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A Baby Boomers Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Was laughing so hard reading this thread, thanks everyone for the humor. I am GenX for what its worth, and have a different perspective.

See this unfold all the time, same old thing at every camp ground, rarely to us, but once in a while. There is always some old man at every RV park who thinks its his job to tell everyone else how it is. 9 times out of 10 that old man is walking away madder than when he walked over because whomever told him to pound sand.

Have run into this old man a few time myslef, not very often but a few times, never for noise or dogs or trash. Because I am big and long, every so often, this old man feels its his job to tell me about how I parked, or how crooked I am, or how I am sticking out, or how I am too big.

About 50% of the time, the smart old man comes to see me. Smart old man says hi, introduces himself, asks us where were from, where were going, how are trip is so far, etc, etc., before he starts to complain about our size. This old man always gets a hand shake, and appology from me, and always leaves with a smile.

The other 50% of the time, we get grumpy, grouchy, pissed off old man. This old man comes over and starts straight away telling me about whatever he has a problem with, and how we need to fix it, etc. This old man leaves really pissed off, because I don't take kindly to old man complaining and telling me how it is.

There is always 2 sides to every issue, a lot of people tend to forget that, and only see their side, this is human nature and we are all guilty of it. People also tend to forget that not everyone enjoys camping in the same way. Some enjoy the peacefulness, quite, star gazing, and overall tranquility of the experience. Others enjoy a big fire, loud music and drinking heavily with the friends and family. While sometimes others way of camping impacts others, which is rude, that is their way, they paid their nickle for a ticket to ride, same as rest of us.

I try to use a very simple rule for camping. I don't want anyone coming to complain to me about anything, and I am not going to go complain to anyone else about anything. Trust me, have had times where I wanted to go complain, but always refrained. Know this is hard for some, especially the know it all, smarter than everyone else old man, but its always the best approach, especially when alcohol is involved.

Hope I did not offend too many, just trying to offer a different perspective.
Dego:

As a "child of the 60's" I'm sure that I felt during those years that "the man" didn't understand and one day I woke up and I was "the man". As for everybody paying their nickel and therefore getting to behave anyway they want, well young man it just isn't cracked up that way. When you "pay your nickel you also agree to abide with whatever rules that are in effect. Otherwise you should consider moving your camping to somewhere where there are no rules.

One day when you're "the man", this will make sense to you.

Be safe.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/735629463187747/
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:52 AM   #23

We camped recently at a state park in Fl. Might have been our second outing in our new rig. Loud, obnoxious rednecks all around us. Music, drinking even had the guy next to us relieving himself behind his trailer. Middle of the second day I was sitting by my campfire alone. Wife & daugher had gone out for a bit. It was drizzling and cold. The loudmouth next to me came over and said "hey, why are you sitting here alone in the rain? Come over and have a beer and some BBQ". Turns out they had a daughter about the same age as mine. My wife and his wife had similar jobs. This guy and his friends were just real fun folks having a good time. We ended up spending the next two days hanging with the group.

Same thing during our Memorial Day trip last week. People out having a good time. Yea, maybe a bit loud after quiet time. Dogs leaving a few land mines. We chose not to ask the people playing cornhole after 10 to be quiet. Things worked out

Now if someone is drunk and assaulting thier spouse, or dropping a barrage of F-bombs in front of my wife and daughter I am going to have to do something. But generally trying to ignore things lead to a better result, most times
Old 05-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGeorgia View Post
Dego:

As a "child of the 60's" I'm sure that I felt during those years that "the man" didn't understand and one day I woke up and I was "the man". As for everybody paying their nickel and therefore getting to behave anyway they want, well young man it just isn't cracked up that way. When you "pay your nickel you also agree to abide with whatever rules that are in effect. Otherwise you should consider moving your camping to somewhere where there are no rules.

One day when you're "the man", this will make sense to you.

Be safe.
So damn right. Well said. I would add that one day when you are "a man" this will make sense.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #25

Well said DegoRed...

I think your version is just as accurate as others... others on the other side, that is...

Bottom line.. we are now in a politically correct society.. that means we cannot complain about other people bothering us.. cause it might bother/offend them.. heaven forbid....

While I haven't been camping for 20-30-40+ years.. I've done my fair share.. I guess I can count myself among the lucky ones who haven't experience any of these issues.. but then again.. most of my camping has been confined to the conservative midwest... I'd like to think we here in the midwest still have some modicum of respect for others.. but likely, its just that type of behavior hasn't filtered in from the coasts.. I'm sure just about the time I have the ability to camp more, it'll be here..

I read these posts and I wonder to myself.. can it really be that bad.. I mean.. wow.. some of the behavior I've read about it is quite spectacular.. but I know camping is just a microcosm of society.. so, I tend to think its true.. but I also know that I am only hearing one side of the story.. I especially like when people complain about kids.. that just cracks me up... what do you expect when you go camping.. really, complete silence ??

Anyway... I know as I've gotten older.. my threshold of tolerance has slowly been eroding away.. I try very hard to limit my frustrations and I'm the type that usually turns the other cheek..

I wish everyone out there a pleasant camping experience..
oakcreekeric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is just a sampling of where this country is headed for. Cause if you don't like the me generation, just think what the next generation is going to bring. Gale
Old 05-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #27

I am in the camp (so to speak) that sees this subject as a "sign of the times"!
I have come to my opinions from a few different perspectives. Having in one past incarnation been in the LEO position, another as the GM of a large RV park and also being a boomer that camped with the family as a child. In some respects many things have not changed. Yet, we live in a society that has accepted the abnormal as normal, the unacceptable as acctepted and responsibility as no longer needed! Though we can lay a lot of this at the feet of those we entrust with our society's direction, we really only have ourselves to blame! While I am thankfully able to delete myself from the list (whew!) there is a generation of parents that raised a generation of "selfies" that see things in a much different light, me, me, me, me, me!
When I was a park GM, I could be found most evenings making multiple trips around the park (in a quiet electric cart) making sure the rules were being at least somewhat observed. I am sure I was unable to separate myself from the days when it was neighborhoods I "cruised"! There were times however (though only a couple) that I had to call upon my former brothers in blue to take on my inability to complete the task. In almost every case of having to re-inforce a rule, alcohol was involved!
But, these days we can thank ourselves and the lack of a combined declaration of "enough is enough" for the disolving of things like consideration, personal responsibility, respect for others and social behavior! Not to single out dego for his view, but ..... your right to enjoy yourself is not a right to deny my enjoyment. Those in and who have been in LE will remember the phrase "the right to peaceful enjoyment"! That applies to campgrounds just as much as anywhere else.
There is hope though! We all still have the right to speak with our wallets and the right to require you "get what you pay for"! However, it works best with a "combined declaration"! Don't hesitate to demand that a park enforce it's rules! When it will not, find one that will! Eventually (whenever that is), those "me, me, me's" will either be in a park by themselves or all together!
Old 05-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This has been an interesting thread for sure! I'm an "old man", but I pride myself in being able to get along with just about anybody. I've found that most folks are reasonable, IF you approach them right! I admit that we don't stay in many state parks and we don't boondock, and haven't run into many of the kind of folks described here. If and when we do, we'll see if my theory holds up!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground