Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2015, 03:58 PM   #85

Four years ago 4th of July week we were staying at Morgan Hills, CA 1000 Trails. We pulled in on Wednesday all was going well until about noon that Friday I was outside reading when I heard a Harley pull in, then another and so on. These were not your regular riders. They were very hard core. What I didn't pay to much attention to when we set up camp, was the site across from us. That's where the bikers pulled into. It had was set up before we pulled in. They had the rv's facing each other with pop-up shades and awnings. Big outdoor kitchens set. After a few more bikes pulled in I told my wife I think there's going to be a problem here.

Once the booze started to flow, the pot started to waft in the air, the music and cussing got louder and louder. Mind you they had a few young children there. Well it's getting late and no sign of shutting down. About 11 pm I go to the ranger shack to no avail. About 11:30 I go over and very politely asked if they wouldn't mind toning it down that there were a lot of families and elderly people in vacinty. One of those hard core guys got right in my face, chest bumped me. One of the others pulled him away. All the while I'm keeping my composure and talking in a very low calm voice. This took about 5 minutes. About midnight it finally became much quieter.

In the morning I'm sitting outside having my coffee and reading the paper when I saw about ten of these guys coming towards me. Leading them was an older gentleman all tattooed out, long hair wearing a leather vest. He was probably "El Capitan". As I stood up, not knowing what to expect, the "El Capitan" put out his hand to shake. He said these guys have something to say. To the man they gave me a "man-hug" (shaking my hand while pulling in for hug) and apologized for their behavior. Wow!! Wasn't expecting that.

After all the apologizes we were asked over to their compound for breakfast. We gracefully declined. Later in the day we took our dog for a walk and stopped by to say hi to my new best friends. They were surprised to hear I was a life long biker and that I also had a bike shop at home for about 15 years. My wife got bored went back to the coach. You know, guys and bikes. I was offered a shot of Patron tequila and beer, of course I accepted.

Come to find out they were one of those low level biker gangs. That's when I mentioned I was very close friends with a couple of So Cal biker gang members. They were blown away by that. Two things they asked is if I ever rode with them I said only the two friends, never-ever the gang. I would ask that they not wear club their vests. They respected that and we always had great touring rides. I mentioned I had met these guys through a relative of theirs who was a stunt man in the movies and would bring me his banged up bike for repairs. The other question was, would I have called my friends if we would have hurt you? I said absolutely not.

By the way I'm 68 now. I mention that because we are supposed to learn from life's lessons. My new best friends, I hope had a new perspective on their behavior when they come into these family campgrounds.

A few of our neighbors came up to me later thanking me. They were very scared to even go outside. Once they saw the guys give their apologizes, etc. they became less apprehensive. Everybody had a great rest of the weekend.

You never know how a bad situation can become a very pleasant one. I know you're probably thinking, what a bone-head for confronting them in the first place. You'd be right, as my wife has told me every time I tell this story.

Take care all, be good to you're fellow campers.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
So Cal Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2015, 05:42 PM   #86

Seen very few problems...some folks not picking up after their dogs, but frankly, I enjoy the late night noise of carrying on around a camp fire...never seen domestic violence or drug abuse other than weed which frankly doesn't bother me...
pismocouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:08 PM   #87

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't seem to have too many problems. I'm not sure if it's my stature, but I am over 6' tall, 250lbs. [Mod Edit] I ask politely if they will kindly calm the noise down. It usually only takes once. [Mod edits] I'm retired military, and have been trained how to handle situations. You can make them feel bad, without being insulting, and most times they will come around.
Good luck everybody, we all have to exist on this planet until we get called home

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:51 PM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Roo View Post
Four years ago 4th of July week we were staying at Morgan Hills, CA 1000 Trails. We pulled in on Wednesday all was going well until about noon that Friday I was outside reading when I heard a Harley pull in, then another and so on. These were not your regular riders. They were very hard core. What I didn't pay to much attention to when we set up camp, was the site across from us. That's where the bikers pulled into. It had was set up before we pulled in. They had the rv's facing each other with pop-up shades and awnings. Big outdoor kitchens set. After a few more bikes pulled in I told my wife I think there's going to be a problem here.

Once the booze started to flow, the pot started to waft in the air, the music and cussing got louder and louder. Mind you they had a few young children there. Well it's getting late and no sign of shutting down. About 11 pm I go to the ranger shack to no avail. About 11:30 I go over and very politely asked if they wouldn't mind toning it down that there were a lot of families and elderly people in vacinty. One of those hard core guys got right in my face, chest bumped me. One of the others pulled him away. All the while I'm keeping my composure and talking in a very low calm voice. This took about 5 minutes. About midnight it finally became much quieter.

In the morning I'm sitting outside having my coffee and reading the paper when I saw about ten of these guys coming towards me. Leading them was an older gentleman all tattooed out, long hair wearing a leather vest. He was probably "El Capitan". As I stood up, not knowing what to expect, the "El Capitan" put out his hand to shake. He said these guys have something to say. To the man they gave me a "man-hug" (shaking my hand while pulling in for hug) and apologized for their behavior. Wow!! Wasn't expecting that.

After all the apologizes we were asked over to their compound for breakfast. We gracefully declined. Later in the day we took our dog for a walk and stopped by to say hi to my new best friends. They were surprised to hear I was a life long biker and that I also had a bike shop at home for about 15 years. My wife got bored went back to the coach. You know, guys and bikes. I was offered a shot of Patron tequila and beer, of course I accepted.

Come to find out they were one of those low level biker gangs. That's when I mentioned I was very close friends with a couple of So Cal biker gang members. They were blown away by that. Two things they asked is if I ever rode with them I said only the two friends, never-ever the gang. I would ask that they not wear club their vests. They respected that and we always had great touring rides. I mentioned I had met these guys through a relative of theirs who was a stunt man in the movies and would bring me his banged up bike for repairs. The other question was, would I have called my friends if we would have hurt you? I said absolutely not.

By the way I'm 68 now. I mention that because we are supposed to learn from life's lessons. My new best friends, I hope had a new perspective on their behavior when they come into these family campgrounds.

A few of our neighbors came up to me later thanking me. They were very scared to even go outside. Once they saw the guys give their apologizes, etc. they became less apprehensive. Everybody had a great rest of the weekend.

You never know how a bad situation can become a very pleasant one. I know you're probably thinking, what a bone-head for confronting them in the first place. You'd be right, as my wife has told me every time I tell this story.

Take care all, be good to you're fellow campers.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
That is just a great story.
Thanks for sharing. I have biker friends who are in clubs.
They show more respect than many other people I know, that's for sure.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #89

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Have wheels will travel. When it happens to us we leave, sometimes at 4am. First thing crank up the diesel, then the awnings go up, start unhooking the water, sewer, and elec. storing said items in storage bays where the doors keep slipping out my hands and slamming. Next asking my navigator if everything is ready to go on the inside in a not so soft voice. Then I hook up the towed all the while giving loud instructions. Usually by the time we're pulling out the loud mouths are awake and have their lights on. I've even gone so far as testing the horn before we've left. Does this make me a bad person?
Yes it does, in fact that's worse than the loud mouths being up a little late. Now you're waking them up, the neighbors you had dinner with up, the quiet family with kids up, everyone along the exit road.

And two wrongs don't make a right. You're making it worse and frankly, I hope you don't camp in the southeast.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:32 AM   #90
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
Yes it does, in fact that's worse than the loud mouths being up a little late. Now you're waking them up, the neighbors you had dinner with up, the quiet family with kids up, everyone along the exit road.

And two wrongs don't make a right. You're making it worse and frankly, I hope you don't camp in the southeast.

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #91

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I wasn't going to say anything to feed him, but frankly, if he's telling the truth, he's the epitome of "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #92

Ford Super Duty Owner
You know the old saying? You will find what you're looking for. I look for fun and a good time, I'll be darned if we don't find it almost all the time. Y'all take it easy, and enjoy life, it's way to short....

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #93

Thor Owners Club
I can see how Ramets method of departing at 0 dark thirty waking the pain in the a...s might be to much of a temptation.......
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #94

Seems the "Me" generation is not age dependent. We mostly stay at state parks here in SC and have met lots of nice people of all ages, and a few that we would just as soon not meet again. I've seen older campers dump their gray tank at the site. parents calling their kids at all hours of the day with mega-phones, grumpy old man cutting trees to make it easier to back their fifth-wheel into the site, flagrant disregard for the no alcohol allowed law, loud music till way past posted hours.

Rude is rude at all ages.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #95

I've been at the other end of this issue, where an older gentleman was lecturing me, being the young whippersnapper on etiquette, for something I wasn't aware of, but he was getting bent out of shape even when I offered to make it right.

I was setting up my folding chairs the night before the local parade. Some chairs were on the sidewalk, some on the grass. There was a spot on the sidewalk that was free, and some chairs right behind the sidewalk on the grass. I took the free spot on the sidewalk.

Next morning, this gentleman nicely told me that parade etiquette dictates that you always place your chairs behind the ones that were there first. He didn't put his chairs on the sidewalk because you're not supposed to block the sidewalk during the day.

Sounds reasonable. I offered to switch places with me.. "No big deal.. You'll know for next time"

As the rest of his party showed up, he kept on telling them loudly "Can you believe this kid? No respect at all.. 20 years at this parade and I've never seen the like". After about the fifth time telling this story, I turned around yelled at him "Take my spot, or stop complaining" "No.. I'm OK with it. Just don't do it again", but he stopped complaining.

Since then, I've made it a point to put my chairs out earlier than him, and I get the nice spot, which makes him angry every time.

Once someone else did the same thing I did and took the spot in front of me. I go out late the night before and switch the seats when this happens. Never have a problem or any confrontation regarding it.
Wishbone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:43 PM   #96

One time, I was camping at a kart track the night before my race, and a group of kids were playing guitar hero extremely loudly until midnight in a really fancy racing trailer. The driver's meeting was at 6am, so I had to get some sleep.

I was debating for an hour to just unplug their trailer and run away. I actually worked up the nerve to do it.. I actually had the power cord in my hand and was about to pull when they shut down for the night
Wishbone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #97

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimalberta View Post
if you find it necessary to call the Police...simply say you think you saw a gun being waved around....they WILL respond.
And you can be charged with filing a false report!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:23 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
Yeah, and a snittily passive-aggressive one at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I can see how Ramets method of departing at 0 dark thirty waking the pain in the a...s might be to much of a temptation.......
Come on get a grip. Don't be so gullible. It was all tongue in cheek!! I'd NEVER make others suffer because of one dufus.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground