Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #1

Medical Care in Canada

We are planning a trip to Alaska this summer and will be driving through western Canada along the Alaska Highway. For those of you like me that are on Medicare, what did you do for medical care coverage in Canada. As I understand it Medicare does not cover you outside the US?
hehbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
From the embassy of the U.S., Ottawa Canada:
" U.S. Medicare and Medicaid programs do not provide payment for medical services outside the United States. However, many travel agents and private companies offer insurance plans that will cover health care expenses incurred overseas, including emergency services such as medical evacuations." (Medical Information | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada)

"In comparison to US health costs, medical tourism patients can save 30 to 60 percent on health costs in Canada." (Medical tourism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

"There are three situations when Medicare may pay for certain types of health care
services you get in a foreign hospital (a hospital outside the U.S.):
1. You’re in the U.S. when you have a medical emergency, and the foreign hospitalis closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your illness or injury.
2. You’re traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay
by the mostdirect route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs,and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treaty our illness or injury. Medicare determines what qualifies as “without unreasonable delay” on a case-by-case basis.
3. You live in the U.S. and the foreign hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether it’s an emergency.

Remember, in these situations, Medicare will pay only for the Medicare-coveredservices you get in a foreign hospital."

Page 1 (http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037.pdf)

Hope this helps. We may be in Montreal, Quebec and this is worth knowing.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #3

If you have a Medigap or a Medicare Advantage plan, check with them. You may have coverage and not know it.
Gandalara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #4

Interesting advice to check, however a medicare supplement plan is just that; the primary insurer is still medicare so it seems that the initial cost would not be covered if you are out of the country. We knew about the medicare exclusion and bought short term medical insurance from AAA for a 2012 Canadian trip. They have insurance for every situation you can think of (ex. off-shore oil rig worker, etc.) and have different levels of coverage. My memory is that we paid around $125 for two weeks of coverage for two people age 65+ since we might not be within the narrow conditions mentioned in J. J. Hayden's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
If you have a Medigap or a Medicare Advantage plan, check with them. You may have coverage and not know it.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hehbr View Post
We are planning a trip to Alaska this summer and will be driving through western Canada along the Alaska Highway. For those of you like me that are on Medicare, what did you do for medical care coverage in Canada. As I understand it Medicare does not cover you outside the US?
This situation happened to us last June when we had a motorhome wreck in Quebec, Canada. We didn't know that medicare didn't cover in Canada when it happened. We found out quickly. When my wife with a broken ankle and severed foot tendon got to the hospital in Quebec we were asked for out credit card to pay the bill. We are still messing with this problem. We have secondary Tricare insurance and they are still considering payment. Get a medical flight insurance to take you out of the country if needed and maybe up your motor home insurance for medical. Most only have $5,000. coverage on medical but it is needed to be a lot higher for travel into another country.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Interesting advice to check, however a medicare supplement plan is just that; the primary insurer is still medicare so it seems that the initial cost would not be covered if you are out of the country.
I suggested it, because Medicare.gov suggests it.

"Your Medigap policy may offer additional coverage for health care services or supplies that you get outside the U.S."

"If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan (like an HMO or PPO) or another Medicare health plan, your plan may offer additional coverage for health care services you get outside the U.S."
Gandalara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #7

I'm the one that wrote that "it seems that the initial cost would not be covered if you are out of the country". Since we know that everything one reads on the internet is (not?) true , the best thing is to check with your insurer. I plan to do this before any future Canadian travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I suggested it, because Medicare.gov suggests it.

"Your Medigap policy may offer additional coverage for health care services or supplies that you get outside the U.S."

"If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan (like an HMO or PPO) or another Medicare health plan, your plan may offer additional coverage for health care services you get outside the U.S."
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #8

When betting AGAINST yourself there is not enough insurance to protect you!

Quote: bygeorge
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless
When betting agents yourself there is not enough insurance to protect you!

Quote: bygeorge
I have seen you post this and other quotes bygeorge before. Some are quite clever. In this case, I believe you bet "against" yourself when you give insurance "agents" your money. I usually don't give a hoot about spelling - but an oft repeated quote deserves correcting.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I have seen you post this and other quotes bygeorge before. Some are quite clever. In this case, I believe you bet "against" yourself when you give insurance "agents" your money. I usually don't give a hoot about spelling - but an oft repeated quote deserves correcting.
x2!!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Bad spelling makes it a true Quote: bygeorge
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada