Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #1

I was wondering if anyone could give me some information about the best member ship for traveling visitors to USA and Canada..someone did mention I should get AAA..we are not American Citizens, can I get that? and is it worth while? Also Big Sam's and Escapee's.

We are arriving in to LA september the 10th..
I would like to take advantage of any discounts and information these clubs provide for visitors to your Country..

cheers Sharon
sharon Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #2

I was wondering if anyone could give me some information about the best member ship for traveling visitors to USA and Canada..someone did mention I should get AAA..we are not American Citizens, can I get that? and is it worth while? Also Big Sam's and Escapee's.

We are arriving in to LA september the 10th..
I would like to take advantage of any discounts and information these clubs provide for visitors to your Country..

cheers Sharon
Old 08-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #3

Sharon

What mode of travel will you be doing? Camper, Motel/hotels, car rental and etc?.

Good Sams (not Big) and escapees are for campers and offer discounts. Good Sams would only be good if you are camping. I believe escapees are more for full-timers (those who live in their camper and usually do not own a home) so this would not be for you. AAA is mainly a car tow and flat fix company that also offer some side benefits, like trip routing. If you are renting a rental car, do not know if AAA would be beneficial. Car Rental companies charge a lot for Waiver insurance. If you plan on renting maybe you can get your insurance to write a rider for you for this coverage. In any event, let us know more of what you are planning on doing and the advice can be more specific. s/Toby
Old 08-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Sams, AAA amd AARP all seem to get you the same 10% discount. A KOA card will get you 10% off at KOA's only. AAA is good for maps and travel advice. As previously stated your actual travel plans will make a difference on what or how each will benefit you.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #5

From my experience, being a member of Good Sams gives you the right to receive all of their OTHER promotions, memberships and gimmicks.

As a camper, my most valuable membership is with Passport America which gives 50% discounts with member campgrounds.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:28 AM   #6

Sorry for being so Vague..

We have just purchased a Motor Home..

On this Forum in past post they have mentioned Couch net, a number of member's really were impressed with the service..
Someone also mentioned their insurance company covered the breakdown and call outs.
Pass port America..have not heard of that..will check it out. Somethings I may be excluded from taking advantage of, as We are not US citizens.

We will be full timing as, our home is in Australia..we intend to travel for at least 12 months..USA..Mexico..Canada..

I was after breakdown insurance..and any discounts membership for forrest and parks..as we will be full timing in the Motor Home travelling every couple of days...

I am an Artist, so I will be painting and looking for interesting scenery ..I am not too interested in flash camp grounds ..more natural stuff...although flash will be nice once in a while..
We am trying to sort out as much as we can before leaving our unlimited adsl...to venture into the unknown bandwidth..
we are arriving September the 10th..

Cheers Sharon
Old 08-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #7

Welcome - in advance, to the U.S.A.! I assume you already have your International Driving Permit. Now you must get used to driving on the wrong side of the road.

Full-timing in a Motor Home for at least a year; sounds great! I suggest Coach-Net technical and roadside assistance because it is designed for your particular desires. They offer three levels of service, you choose whichever best suits your situation.

I would stay away from AAA because they do not offer the same services in all states or areas of North America, even though they still take your money. You could be left stranded in some areas.

Escapees is not a club, but rather a service for full-timers, providing mail forwarding service, discounted RV parks that are part of the escapees network, long-term parking (and care) for those with health issues, specific-interest groups (like art) that meet regularly to exchange information and just fellowship, to list a few. You will also find a lot of information for using solar energy in your MH, when staying where no utilities are available, such as parked out in the desert or mountains.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:50 AM   #8

Yes I do have my International drivers license, and it cost me $30, but believe me it looks like I pinched it out of a cereal box..if I ever get asked for it they will put me in the clink for forgery.
I am a bit nervous about traveling on the other side..but I did it for five years 20 years ago...lets hope I remember how easy it is.

It was just suggested the American Pass port..I took the suggestion ..checked the web and a few places we are going and even if I only use it a few times ..I have saved money..
Thanks for reaffirming the road side assistance..I will join up tomorrow. Fortunately the people that we are buying the MH from will allow us to use their address..
Yes I think it will be a wonderful time I just Love America and find the people friendly and fun
We are boaties ..so solar really appeals although it does really tak the $$..on often new or bigger batteries as well as the Solar panels..but we would like to..
So ..do you think Escapees is more for full time residents..not really visitors..we do not need the mail and will be hopefully not in need of care, or we are in trouble..lol..just really camping discounts..I read somewhere that with State forest campgrounds you could buy a few coupons for parks that reduced the price per park..
Cheers Sharon
Old 08-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coach Net is an excellent service. If you have a breakdown and need to be towed or directed to a service facility they will get you there. Depending on the age and condition of the coach you may also want to check out Good Sam's extended service plan. Relatively inexpensive with fair coverage for work necessary to get back on the road.

Passport America is very good and well worth the rather modest cost. We have used it extensively and saved quite a bit of money.

Good luck and happy travels, Mike
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #10

I would say that ESCAPEES is a bit more than previously advertised. They put out a very good bi-monthly magazine, plus they have a wide variety of Escapee Parks that members can use. Plus they have a listing of members that offer overnight camping at theirs houses. A good way to meet others.

Besides, it appears that for a while, you will be fulltiming. It can't hurt to check them out and make your own decision. ESCAPEES
Old 08-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #11

Sharon

In addition to the above, I suggest you get some input as to what you should carry in your motor home; such as a laptop with software for travelling like microsoft "Streets & Trips" with the GPS (about $80). Poll saw ($20) A book "Travelling with the Corp" from Camping world (about $15).

Army Corp parks (COE) are all on water, very reasonable and are my favorite CGs to stay in. You cannot find most of these CGs without a book with directions. They are off the beaten tracks. And for maintence items carry items such as Duct tape and WD-40 and a wash brush on poll to clean the outside of the MH/windshield (Walmart about $15). s/Toby
Old 08-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #12

Back again..Just keeping you all in the loop..

So far we have payed for the top rate in Coach-net..also payed for Pass port America.

Just purchased a Garmin GPS nuvi 260. I did order three RV books from Amazon. I will get that Army corp one as well, sounds great...what is poll saw?.

We just purchased a His and her Apple Mac's.a few months ago....MY husband said "do you think we need to take two computers?, one should be enough..mmm I said "that sounds good...you can use mine when I am not using it". no more talk about one computer... will need to find soft ware compatible to mac's..street and tips sounds good ...but if it is only Microsoft, may be a problem

We are coming over very light..only carry on ..We will buy what we need as we go.
The GPS and books we are having shipped to the owners of the MH. As we will not know where to buy anything ..it did seem easier to search the net here and find what we may need..we want to buy a Scooter or motor Bike..if anyone knows of a good one let me know...I suspect that could be a bit difficult ..hey but we purchased everything else..

I will do some more checking out of 'escapees'..

Thanks for all the help..
Cheers sharon
Old 08-27-2008, 09:19 AM   #13

Sharon

A poll saw is a poll that extends with a saw blade on the end and a pincher on the other side. Used to trim the trees when you can't back the motorhome in without removing the limb. Or, NEVER park with a limb touching your motor home. Or you will discover ants every where. So it pays to trim the limbs every now and then. Most parks do not want you doing this, so use caution.

Also, your GPS will only direct you on the streets it wants you to travel on. If you want to go a different route, it will not work. Although the unit you have is great for travelling around town when you get there. Microsoft S&T will let you pick the roads you want to travel on as well as the types of roads, i.e., interstate or back roads. (Use care with the white roads, some are not suitable for large motorhomes.) Do not know about Apple PCs maybe someone else can help, but you will only need one to travel with. I think Delorme software will work on Apple, but I like microsoft S&T for ease of use. Make sure you get the one with the GPS unit that comes with the software.

If you plan to travel in a lot of the National Parks, i.e., Yellowstone, Grand Caynon and Glacier Nationla park and etc, The Federal Govt has a pass (I think about $50) That lets you get in for free. Since I am over 62 (a lot over) It only cost me $10. Its call Golden Age. I forgot the name of the underage 62 card. Maybe someone else can help. s/Toby
Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Sharon,
I believe Toby is talking about a 'pole' saw to reach high tree limbs.

Here is a link to the National Parks website for their passes NPS. You may not qualify for some of the passes, but it doesn't hurt to try if you are going to visit our National Parks. Very scenic.

I heartily agree about having a laptop for each of you. It would never work well for us to have only one.

You may have a difficult time finding a good mapping program for the MAC. From what I could find on Microsoft's website, Streets & Trips isn't compatible for the MAC OS. I haven't used a MAC for 15 years, so not too familiar with them now. You should try a search for MAC mapping software.

Good luck & have fun in the USA!
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote