RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #1

Arrow Merging traffic geniuses behind the wheel

While we’re discussing “left lane hogs” and “how fast do you drive”, it caused me to reflect on the only huge peeve -
Those people driving up the on-ramp that expect the traffic on the highway to slow way down to their speed, just so they can get in front of you and only then will they stand on the skinny pedal to leave you in their dust..

When towing, I’m generally in the right lane or middle lane running 55-60 and I can’t tell you how many times this happens to us.. When practical, I will move over or slow a bit to help them merge. More times than not - I just seem to be better off holding my ground as safely as possible. The merger sees he or she is running out of acceleration lane and only then do they hammer it...

I’m curious how others handle these situations..

Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #2

Same thing. They have no clue on how to merge. Some on ramps are long enough to run a Drag Race on and they still don't get it. I move over one lane if and when I can safely. Mainly for trucks.

A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Merge idiots are the reason we have a set of marine grade horns on our MH.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #4

Same old problem- no traffic enforcement. People merging are supposed to match their speed with traffic and merge when safe to do so. When traffic slows down to allow a merge it creates a jamb behind them and a traffic hazard. (I'm sure most of us already know this) I'm amazed how many vehicles don't come with turn signals anymore. We just have to know what that idiot is trying to do.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #5

I have zero expectations that substandard drivers will magically turn into good drivers. I'm a profiler, and I say that about 1/2 of all drivers are substandard.
For instance, the best way for me to merge, is to speed up to about 75 mph while still on the ON ramp. Before you ask me if I then go ahead and crash, I will tell you that I have been driving since 1952, and I have NEVER made contact with another vehicle on a public roadway. My crashes all happened on racetracks.
And, my preference for allowing a mergerer to merge into my lane is for me to speed up while the mergerer is still on the ON ramp. I make a hole for them BEHIND me.
And, before you ask,...YES, I make allowances and deviations whenever necessary.
And, in my Dutch Star (pulling my 4x4 GMC Envoy),...on the open road, I set the cruise control on 65 mph. Why? Because IMO it's safer for me, and it makes sense in other ways.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #6

Last I knew, going down the freeway, I still have the right of way. I run the right lane when driving the 38 foot coach with a toad in tow and I try to avoid changing lanes any more than necessary. I try to give consideration to merging traffic, but in the end it is up to them to merge safely, either in front of me or behind.
empty_nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #7

In areas with lots of on ramps and/or interchanges, I stay out of the right lane if possible.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #8

They are the ones 'MERGING'........therefore I maintain my speed.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
I've always been worried that a Yahoo on the on-ramp will decide to duck in back of me, while they are alongside of me, and then discover that my Toad is back there.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #10

A defensive driver course should be mandatory before someone can get a driver's license and again at every renewal of that license.
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drive through Los Angeles a couple times a year in our coach. They get on the main road fast there as opposed to my home area where people go about 40 mph while merging.

Give me L.A. anytime!

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty_nest View Post
Last I knew, going down the freeway, I still have the right of way. I run the right lane when driving the 38 foot coach with a toad in tow and I try to avoid changing lanes any more than necessary. I try to give consideration to merging traffic, but in the end it is up to them to merge safely, either in front of me or behind.
My thoughts exactly.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #13

Besides red light running, this is my biggest pet peeve! People have absolutely no clue how to merge on an onramp! They are too busy in their mobile phone booths to even care! They feel like they own the road and you must make amends to accommodate them! Can't say anymore because my blood is starting to boil!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #14

They are merging with the freeway. They have to find an opening and safely merge. There is absolutely no onus on the freeway drivers to make room for them. It is a nice thing to do though. If there's not much traffic, I'll try to pace myself in a way to make merging easier for them, or move over into the left lane (OMG!). Fortunately, my big red one ton dually pickup with aftermarket front and rear bumpers tends to get noticed so people don't try and merge into me often. Nobody sees the bike, so I have to be extremely cautious in areas with merging traffic. A little Prius will probably explode if it merges into the truck, but it'll eat me and the bike and not even notice it.

Itchytoe is online now   Reply With Quote