Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #1

Metal Detectors

How many of you carry a metal detector to search for "goodies" while camping? If so, any advice on a make or model. Cabelas carries a wide variety.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
If you're serious about metal detecting get a Whites!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I was tossing the idea around when we had plans to go to Quartzite this winter but we didn't go. I am still thinking about getting one. I did see the ones @ Cabelas. I think it would be fun,hope you get some more responses.
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
For good info on metal detectors go to one of their forums. Try www.treasurenet.com, metaldetectingforum.com, or www.garrett.com. There is lots of info there. Beware that there are a lot of detectors out there and their prices and capabilities vary widely. The forums will provide you with good answers that are backed by experience. I am new to it also and will say that there is a learning curve involved.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #5

I thought that would be fun also and bought a metal detector a few years ago.
I'm ashamed to say I have never used it.
Many places will not let you use one I found out. That is not the reason I haven't used it yet just haven't gotten to it yet.
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't travelled with a detector yet but I am planning on it in the near future. I have used mine (Garrett 350) and have had some interesting experiences. Can't say that I have found treasure but my driveway was lucrative. First thing I found was a piece of a toy car (Hotwheels or something like that). I then proceeded to unearth two pennies and one old nickel. My best was in the back yard. I found a strong clear "silver" signal. Bottle caps will drive you nuts! Lots of fun and healthy too. Get with it!
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #7

Most important thing to look for is how long the batteries last. Some of them have a lot of features and burn up batteries really fast. I have a fancy White detector. Too many features and burns up batteries. Paid almost $1000 for it and never use it because of that.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
HHg

If you really want to enjoy the hobby, do not buy a piece of junk (Cabela's). Get a good unit with a good discriminator to enhance your enjoyment. I've detected for almost 30 years and it is truly a satisfying hobby. Nothing against Whites, but they sure like trashy metal. Try http://thetreasuredepot.com. This a true diehard relic hunting site.
Note: I never detect on private property without consent.....be careful in public parks and state owned beaches.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #9

I bought a cheapie about 10 years ago one that walmart sells for around $100 and was playing with it last summer finding coins and other junk around the neighborhood all the neighbor kids had a lot of fun digging up the treasures but the neighbor down the street seen what I was doing and came out with his whites metal detector and it put mine to shame kinda wish I would of gotten a better one, He went over to the park near my house and came back with a gold chain he found and wondered if it was real I suggested he take it to the gold and coin dealer in town and have him test it he came back and said the guy gave him $900 for it.
Fkrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkrel View Post
I bought a cheapie about 10 years ago one that walmart sells for around $100 and was playing with it last summer finding coins and other junk around the neighborhood all the neighbor kids had a lot of fun digging up the treasures but the neighbor down the street seen what I was doing and came out with his whites metal detector and it put mine to shame kinda wish I would of gotten a better one, He went over to the park near my house and came back with a gold chain he found and wondered if it was real I suggested he take it to the gold and coin dealer in town and have him test it he came back and said the guy gave him $900 for it.
Ahhh..... Treasure ! I want one ! I retire in one more yr (plus 1 mo, 10 days, 3 hr, 8 min, 13 seconds).. and I will get one for some fun.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I planned on getting one after retirement but after researching locations I could use it, mainly parks where I hung my hat, quit looking.
Most said "Private Property in parks" where we are at now the metal detectors being banned was the first item on the rules list.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #12

Once again in these circumstances its easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #13

I have an expensive, ground penetrating, Metal Detector.

I have never found a good sized nugget, but a friend of mine with a under 100 bucks has!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
Ahhh..... Treasure ! I want one ! I retire in one more yr (plus 1 mo, 10 days, 3 hr, 8 min, 13 seconds).. and I will get one for some fun.
LOL But, who's counting...right?. Hang in there!

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote