Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Mexican Border troubles

We're planning a trip around Texas to stay at Retima Village near Mission. I hear there may be some problems arising out of the drug wars around border towns.

Any comments would be appreciated as we don't want to end up in the middle of any of that.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think they are pretty much telling Americans to stay on this side of the border.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Google "mexico travel" and note the US State Dept. comments.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Google "mexico travel" and note the US State Dept. comments.
I never planned on entering Mexico this year. It's just that I heard that there was a rise of illegal border crossing around the Mission Texas area causing thefts to some rv'ers and wanted to know if this was true.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
We're planning a trip around Texas to stay at Retima Village near Mission. I hear there may be some problems arising out of the drug wars around border towns.

Any comments would be appreciated as we don't want to end up in the middle of any of that.

Cliff
For the last 2 winters we have stayed next door at Bentsen Palm Village... never any problems in this area. Progreso Mexico was 'safe' other than a shoot-em-up last December south of the gringo-shopper area. But no other problems for the rest of the winter here. Avoid Reynosa as this has become a bad area.

Eh!
geeksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Returned from Rocky Point, Mexico on April 6th 2010 was there from Jan. 30, 2010. While there we had no problems, saw no problem's and did not hear of any problems.
Are there problems in Mexico YES.
What you must do is your home work and find what areas have problems. Just about all areas that have a border with Texas. Why take a look at how long there border is. Are the border cities safe, good question Most tourist area are just as safe as anywhere in the USA as long as you don't leave the tourist areas.
Is there any area or city I would not cross it is El Paso, TX into Juarez, Mexico. This border town is so bad former Mexicans are afraid to go across to visit family. One woman told my wife it is the wild, wild west and no one is safe.
We will be returning to Rocky Point again next winter and we go across the border at Lukeville, AZ.
In Spanish Rocky Point is Puerto Penasco and we stay at the Playa Bonita RV Resort.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #7

We visit Neuvo Progresso, MX when we winter in the RGV. This town depends upon tourist trade for survival. It is comforting to see armed troops on guard at the bridge, but Progresso does not have a local police department, depending instead on Reynosa(I think) police when needed.
We are hesitant to return to Progresso after the gun battle last year.
About five years ago we visited Juarez. Took a taxi downtown to the plaza, shopped, ate lunch, had our portrait drawn in pencil, had a great time. I was alert all the time, really frazzled my nerves by the end of the day. I would not do it now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a fellow worker that works in Houston and returns to Monterrey every two weeks for a long weekend to see his family. He has said he does not feel safe going home and is trying to get his wife to move to Houston. He has all of the permits taken care of.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #9

The violence across the border seems to be increasing regardless of the town of crossing. Progresso is not only your closest crossing, but also the safest. If you have concerns about safety, ( which I do as well ), my suggestion is to only venture in as far as necessary. Prescription drugs, liquor, cigarettes, and dental services are all available within one block of the border. Venturing further, IMHO, serves no real purpose. Shopping and dining really isnt much cheaper when you consider the extra risk as you venture further.
The US side really hasnt seen that much of an increase. Most of the rv parks have adequate security, and many of the larger shopping centers do as well. Frankly there are US cities that are equally as dangerous and we dont have concerns beyond what we would consider common sense.
So I say, come on down, but dont forget to stay alert, just as you would anywhere else.
Rick&Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #10

We travel to Baja every winter, cross at Tecate and never have trouble. Always check with a travel club like Vagabundos, Escapees etc for recent information. Once you get through the border and a 100mi. or so south there is very little danger of trouble. We always travel alone, no caravans. Take a dog with you, Mexicans generally are afraid of dogs, if they ask us if our dogs bite, I just tell them they only bite a "little". There are many millitary checkpoints on the highway but the personell are friendly and efficient. Just be friendly and smile.
solovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #11

The farther south you go the safer it is, and more friendly
solovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #12

The further south no longer maters. I always went to a small town 60 miles south of San Felipe (200 miles from border?) and they now have had 2 deaths which where drug related. I first started flying to Baja in 1979 but my last trip was 2005. Miss the place but much to see here in the good old USA.
rvmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cliff...stay on the north side of the creek and you will be okay.

When are you going to be in the area? We have a Texas Boomers rally Memorial day in Johnson City that will be a great time.

BTW...while in the Texas valley, you can get the mh washed and waxed for less than $100.
Maybe you can get the PG's worked on also.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been going to Nogales, Mexico for dental work for the past 5 years. It is a 40 mile trip. I was not worried as the drug cartels didn't bother with the average visitor until recently. I have stopped going across because I have read stories about Americans being kidnapped and held for ransom. My wife works with many Hispanics who have family there and they have reduced their visits because of the danger. I feel that having family there, they know more than I do. They have told me not to go over the border. So now I must pay full price to the dentists in the USA. I was paying about 1/3rd of the US prices. The waiting room at the dentist would normally have about half of the people from the US and on my last visit there were no Americans. Since 1960 the drug cartels have been responsible for 14,000 murders in Mexico. About a month ago the assistant police chief of Nogales was gunned down. Some people say that they see no danger in going to Mexico. Maybe they have just been lucky. Joe