Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
A word to the wise from the unknowing is worthless!

This is sounds like advice from someone who has bever been there.
Been there plenty of times. Never going back.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
A word to the wise from the unknowing is worthless!

This is sounds like advice from someone who has bever been there.
Maybe you should look at the State Department's travel warning for Mexico.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The topic here is for information on caravans. Let's please stay on topic and knock off the personal opinions towards each other.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
One of the BEST or shall I say least expensive is to plan a trip with your Good Sam Club that you belong too (if you don't belong to one join one). There should be several members who are retired and also would like to go with a group. Especially with people that they know and feel comfortable with. On the other hand I just received today my FREE Fantasy Tours catalog (phone 1-800-952-8496). Lots of nice tours......you could use their trips as a template to plan your own south of the border. I have RVed down in Mexico many times .........NO PROBLEMS. Well one time crossing the border into the states on the Mexican side our RV was searched by a couple of big black pot sniffing dogs. Unfortunately it was raining outside and the dogs feet had mud on them and our bedspread had lots of "paw" prints. All the Mexican people we met were very friendly. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Softail View Post
Maybe you should look at the State Department's travel warning for Mexico.
Not sure how much stock I place in this type of warning.

I've traveled to the UK every month for the the past 13 months.

I log on to the State Dept's website and give them my travel details each trip.

They send me their update on each time telling me how dangerous it is in Europe. They tell me how active ISIS and other groups are in some of the areas I travel to.

I appreciate the warnings and the ability to register my trip, but I believe the warnings to be a bit of exaggeration.

I've traveled all over the globe and I've one thing to be universal, all countries have good and bad areas.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Mexico. I have some really great memories of my trips to Mexico. Don't let those who have never been there talk you out of a great trip.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #20

Mexico

Thanks to everyone who replied. We've been to Mexico many times, by air, and have never had a problem, felt safe their.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #21

We have Rv ed in Mexico for some 10 years and never had a problem. We have visited pretty much everywhere of interest to a tourist /adventurer and enjoyed all the Mexicans that we met. The Baja from one end to the other. East coast to Paa Mul and the Belize border across to Palenque and San Cristobal in the state of Chiapas to Huatulco and up the west coast of the mainland. Through the central part to Mexico City, Puebla and Oaxaca and then Huatulco again. Up the west coast and then inland to Guadalajara and then north through the center to Juanijuato and Zacatecas then Chihuahua. Never a problem.

As for a caravan....we never did it. What you do is buy the Mexican Camping Guide from Mike and Terri Church on their website . rollinghomes.com Get a few for your friends to come along and away you go. FWIW most of the caravan companies are following the same itineraries and going to the same towns and campgrounds as outlined in the book.

Get the book and read it and GO.

If you want more details PM me I'd be happy to help

Happy travels

Geoff
Old 09-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Softail View Post
Been there plenty of times. Never going back.
Where did you go and when? I've been to Guadalajara 4 out of the last five summers for my job, I feel safer there than Minneapolis or even Fargo. If anything driving an RV there with traffic would be my biggest concern. I've grown to love Mexico and would seriously consider retiring there.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #23

I found a website On the road in Mexico with lots of Mexico RV travel information.

The site seems to have a Facebook page as well that brings together RV travelers to Mexico to form a caravan.

Dean
Old 09-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
Google is your friend... Do a Google search for "RV caravan to Mexico" and you'll get a number of links. Another good option is to attend an RV rally where you'll be able to talk directly to several established caravan operators. I would like to do a long 3 month Mexican caravan trip as when we can fit it into our busy travel schedule. The company I am leaning towards is Adventure Caravans. They offer a number of itineraries and are exploring new destinations not currently well serviced by caravan companies.
For a 30 day trip, Adventure Caravans wants $5,400 paid up front which is $180 a day and you still buy your own gas. I can't imagine paying $180 a day every day to RV.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
There is a group in my little community that goes to Rocky Point every year in the spring. They've never had a problem OH, wait, one guy was stopped for speeding (he was and admits it) paid the cops $40 rather than waste time going to court where they wanted him to go.
I've gone down many times and never had a problem. Sure, you pass Federal check points once and a while but I've never had a problem. They do their job and I'm on my way.
Now, coming back into the US play it safe and don't try anything cute. When questioned answer truthfully. These folks are trained to see through lies. No matter how iniquitous the question might seem it has a purpose. I was questioned by a nice little ol' lady the last time (probably been INS for decades) and she asked where I lived (it was on her screen I'm sure) and then she said she thought we got way too much snow in the winter. I told her we weren't Flagstaff and only got 3 or 4 inches at a time. How much you want to bet she knew the answer before she asked the question?
Like someone said, there are places in Los Angeles (I grew up there) that I won't drive through in the daylight. RV to Chicago, Detroit, Gary, ya right.
Rocky Point is only 60 miles from the border and packed with Americans so I would have no problem going there at any time alone. A serious concern is going to Cabo San Lucas or El Fuerte or Yucatan and that is where caravans are of value.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:11 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
For a 30 day trip, Adventure Caravans wants $5,400 paid up front which is $180 a day and you still buy your own gas. I can't imagine paying $180 a day every day to RV.
I can't imagine spending that much either but there are considerably less costly caravans offered as well. The one I am interested in is far less than that.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:49 PM   #27

I've been as far as Loreto last year with no problems what so ever. Used Church's book for RV parks and stuff. Worked fine. If you're not into the drug world you probably won't have any problems.
Biggest problem is narrow roads with no pull off or shoulder (sometimes for miles). Drive slow, don't plan on making 50 mph average (maybe 40 overall) and enjoy the trip. I don't like Hwy 3 because of all the big truck traffic going to and from the border.