Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Mexican caravan

Are there any caravans going to Mexico this year. We would like to try Mexico but would prefer to travel in a group.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #2

Good question.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #3

Are you thinking of a Mexico trip?
Old 09-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
There are several commercial caravan companies that go to various Mexico destinations (google them) but they are very expensive where you pay a big fee upfront to include camping and various things on the trip. I myself have been trying to find an RV club that caravans to Mexico where everyone pays their own expenses as they go. The only one I have found is Mexican Connection Escapees Chapter 8 and they go only once a year and not very far

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:55 AM   #5

Go to Mexico at your own risk. Lots of violence down there. U.S. citizens are not immune. Word to the wise.........
Old 09-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
AHHH turn on the TV here. Mexico is just like here. You don't travel some areas day or night here, same there. If you do an internet search you will find several ESTABLISHED companies with references.

LEN
Old 09-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Softail View Post
Go to Mexico at your own risk. Lots of violence down there. U.S. citizens are not immune. Word to the wise.........
Have you read the Chicago and Detroit statistics lately?

I'll take Mexico any day over those two cities.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
I have heard several people returning from Mexico saying it is saver there than in the US. From my travels there, the really annoying part is having the authorities search your vehicle every 200 miles or so, and frequently paying tolls for 2 lane highways

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Have you read the Chicago and Detroit statistics lately?

I'll take Mexico any day over those two cities.
I don't know why anyone would want to go RVing in Chicago or Detroit in the first place.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I have heard several people returning from Mexico saying it is saver there than in the US. From my travels there, the really annoying part is having the authorities search your vehicle every 200 miles or so, and frequently paying tolls for 2 lane highways
Guess it depends on your definition of "safe". Personally, I don't want the "authorities" searching my RV constantly. Too many corrupt "officials" down there for my comfort level.
Does your RV get searched by the "authorities" every couple hundred miles in the U.S.?
How much have you paid out in "bribes" to officials in Mexico?
I'll take the United States over Mexico any day of the week.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:36 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Guess it depends on your definition of "safe". Personally, I don't want the "authorities" searching my RV constantly. Too many corrupt "officials" down there for my comfort level.
Does your RV get searched by the "authorities" every couple hundred miles in the U.S.?
How much have you paid out in "bribes" to officials in Mexico?
I'll take the United States over Mexico any day of the week.
As said by someone that has never traveled to Mx.
I have traveled in Mx. many times, went through a few check points and never had my vehicle searched, never paid any bribes either!! Now when I got back to the border, and had it searched and x-rayed many times there by the U.S. Border Patrol! Not a issue, as I was not smuggling drugs or humans! Rail!
Old 09-12-2016, 04:09 AM   #12

Quote:
A word to the wise from the unknowing is worthless!

This is sounds like advice from someone who has bever been there.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:26 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Google is your friend... Do a Google search for "RV caravan to Mexico" and you'll get a number of links. Another good option is to attend an RV rally where you'll be able to talk directly to several established caravan operators.

I would like to do a long 3 month Mexican caravan trip as when we can fit it into our busy travel schedule. The company I am leaning towards is Adventure Caravans. They offer a number of itineraries and are exploring new destinations not currently well serviced by caravan companies.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #14

There is a group in my little community that goes to Rocky Point every year in the spring. They've never had a problem OH, wait, one guy was stopped for speeding (he was and admits it) paid the cops $40 rather than waste time going to court where they wanted him to go.
I've gone down many times and never had a problem. Sure, you pass Federal check points once and a while but I've never had a problem. They do their job and I'm on my way.
Now, coming back into the US play it safe and don't try anything cute. When questioned answer truthfully. These folks are trained to see through lies. No matter how iniquitous the question might seem it has a purpose. I was questioned by a nice little ol' lady the last time (probably been INS for decades) and she asked where I lived (it was on her screen I'm sure) and then she said she thought we got way too much snow in the winter. I told her we weren't Flagstaff and only got 3 or 4 inches at a time. How much you want to bet she knew the answer before she asked the question?
Like someone said, there are places in Los Angeles (I grew up there) that I won't drive through in the daylight. RV to Chicago, Detroit, Gary, ya right.