Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #1

Mexico east coast

For the past 10=12 years I have been going into Mexico through Arizona. I have had land there and stored my rig/s there. I have new, old equipment and have brought it back to the east coast. I would like to go into Mexico through Texas and can't find much info on the subject. I am even thinking of doing a caravan trip as I will be alone. Anyone know of a caravan that comes into mexico through east Texas or a caravan? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #2

I don't know about the east coast but we crossed at the Columbia crossing in Texas and headed towards Monterrey. Easy crossing. They checked us for amount of booze etc. No big deal.

Monterrey is worth a visit. It is a bit intimidating traffic wise, series of ring roads etc, but I get rattled easy with traffic. I'm not sure about campgrounds in the area as we stayed in a friends driveway but one of the members on RV.net forum lives there so I'll touch base him if you decide to go that route. It is an easy drive from the border, but cross early.

There is an awesome state park (maybe national, not sure) called "cola de caballo" very close by that is worth seeing.

Here are a few pictures. Gorgeous country through that area.

From there we went on to Zacatecas which is a very fun city to visit. They have a good campground at a hotel downtown there. This is a great city to just start walking and get lost in. Lots of history and very well preserved.

The view from the cable car that you have to take down into the city. Very cool.

Do the mine tour. Awesome.

Charming little city. There are guided foot tours. There are literally hundreds of little alleys and side streets to get lost in. All with interesting tiendas and restaurants.

From there your next overnight will be Guanajuato. A city of tunnels. Really they are old mines that now connect the city. As you drive in through the city gate there will be dozens of young guys with badges that will try to get you to hire them as tour guides or just to get you through the city or to the campground. Although the GPS will get you there I recommend you stop, get out, make a deal with one of them and he will guide you to your destination. Again, I am not a traffic guy so for us it was the right thing to do. The tunnels can get confusing. It is an old city with narrow streets, BUT DON'T MISS IT. It is an awesome experience. Your guide will have to pay for a cab to get back to his post so expect to pay 20 or 30 bucks depending on where you are going.

Next night is San Miguel de Allende. DON'T MISS IT. Lot of expats living here. Beautiful city but small enough to be cosy. You can lose a week or two here without even thinking about it so plan accordingly. Although it is not our favourite city in Mexico it is one where we could consider living for climate and culture reasons.

San Miguel de Allende is a typical 16th century Mexican interior city. Again, perfectly preserved and tourist friendly.

http://www.johnandangela.ca/images/2...e/IMG_4297.jpg

From here you will jump on the Arco Norte which will get you around Mexico city and towards Puebla. You can decide on east or west once you leave San Miguel. We have done both in the last 6 years and both are rewarding.

Good luck with your trip. I am jealous but this year we are saving our pennies to go to Spain in the New year.

John and Angela

Old 12-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow! Great pics! Looks like my bucket list just got a little longer.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moechester View Post
Wow! Great pics! Looks like my bucket list just got a little longer.
I stopped posting pictures at the decision point between going west to Mazatlan and east towards the east coast. If any one wants to see pics from additional wey points in either direction let me know.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I stopped posting pictures at the decision point between going west to Mazatlan and east towards the east coast. If any one wants to see pics from additional wey points in either direction let me know.
Yes! Please continue towards Mazatlan! Thank you.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Awesome pictures Radar!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
What about the crime and tourists getting robbed or worse.

Are you saying that now it's perfectly safe?

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Great pics. I would love to see that in person. Should one travel in a Caravan? I have heard from people I know that they never have problems travelling around Mexico. I have also heard of people that have had problems there.
I guess when you travel anywhere, you can get into problems in the US and Canada as well.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
For the past 10=12 years I have been going into Mexico through Arizona. I have had land there and stored my rig/s there. I have new, old equipment and have brought it back to the east coast. I would like to go into Mexico through Texas and can't find much info on the subject. I am even thinking of doing a caravan trip as I will be alone. Anyone know of a caravan that comes into mexico through east Texas or a caravan? Thanks

This caravan company goes from McAllen, TX to just over the border into Guatemala, mostly following the east coast. 30 Day Mexico - Adventuretrek RV Tours & Treks