Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #1

MH - Extended non-use storage

Unfortunately, we need to leave our 2013 Tiffin Allegro 36 LA unused for 8 months, at least.

We live in NJ, RV is parked outside with 20 Amp service and under a zippered Tyvek cover. Weekly visits are performed.

Since summer will come and go for us this season, my question is should I leave the roof vents open, which are completely dome covered so rain won't enter and still under the vented Tyvek cover? My concern is allowing the interior to breath and not build up any odor problems.

While I'm asking, we have a RV site in Naples FL and as soon as we can move the RV, we may leave the RV parked starting in the Florida summer and into Fl winter months, unattended, no electrical hookup but under Tyvek vented Cover.

Same question as above.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #2

We live in South Florida and I can tell you that the humidity and heat can be a problem here. We store ours on the property, sometimes for months at a time. If it is not plugged in the only answer, if possible, is to have someone start and run the engine and generator with all ACs and fans on including the dash AC. Engine for half an hour, Generator for an hour at least to get everything cooled down and dehumidified. It is also a good idea to have them start up the gas water heater and furnace if you have one monthly because there are wasps that will build nests in them and cause problems. Then I seal the vents and leave it closed up with the coach battery switch to disconnect.
Back when I lived in the Keys I had a 20a connection which was enough to run one AC. I set the temp to 95f so it would only kick in once in a while and that worked fine too. I think that leaving it open to the humidity causes more odor from decomposing upholstery and carpet than trying to seal it up. Just my opinion though.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #3

Short of running the AC's I think anytime you can get an air flow of any nature through your rig you'll be better off as will the RV. When I store my rig for the winter I leave the bathroom and coach vents cracked open for air while also using an Adco Tyvek cover.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #4

MH - Extended non-use storage

Which do you think would be better to utilize when long term storage in Florida summer heat? Only 30 Amp power available, so I can't run both AC units.

The roof top AC, with temp control set at 80F or a portable de-hudmifier set inside the RV?

My storage spot in Fla, is under a pine tree, providing mid-afternoon shade.
I intend to use my tyvek cover on the MH, to keep sap and needles off the roof.

I do have AC hood covers that will keep the cover atop of the AC units leaving some space for the AC to operate and the tyvek cover has vented flaps which may or may not allow the AC to operate properly.

Anyone know for sure, if covered RV and running roof AC unit is plausible?
Old 03-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadge View Post
Which do you think would be better to utilize when long term storage in Florida summer heat? Only 30 Amp power available, so I can't run both AC units.

The roof top AC, with temp control set at 80F or a portable de-hudmifier set inside the RV?

My storage spot in Fla, is under a pine tree, providing mid-afternoon shade.
I intend to use my tyvek cover on the MH, to keep sap and needles off the roof.

I do have AC hood covers that will keep the cover atop of the AC units leaving some space for the AC to operate and the tyvek cover has vented flaps which may or may not allow the AC to operate properly.

Anyone know for sure, if covered RV and running roof AC unit is plausible?
Check with the AC maker but the cover may be a problem.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #6

Boy I wouldn't run the AC with a Tyvek cover on them. I'd go the dehumidifier route.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #7

Dehumidifier without a doubt. The only problem is what to do with the condensate. You could put it in the bathroom and use a hose to run into the bathtub/shower.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #8

I agree that the Humidity in Florida would cause a problem with the vents open. I think your best bet is to have someone come out every month or so and open up the door, air it out, check for leaks/damage/etc.

Also, if you are going to be storing it for that long, it's important to remeber to prepare it properly so you don't have any problems when you want to use it again. Being that it is spring and you're in Florida, you don't have to worry about any of the winterizing stuff (namely pumping antifreeze through the pipes,) but you still need to do a lot to get it ready for an 8 month storage. I always print up this storage prep checklist, it comes in super handy to make sure I don't forget anything.

Tags
storage