Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
6mm

MH vs 5er

I would love to own a MH and was thinking about the yearly cost vs a 5er
I love to do all my own repairs and engine stuff when it is within my ability.
So how much more does it cost to own a MH vs a 5er,I would think a lot of you have moved up to a MH and should have a good idea how much more per year it has changed for you.
The MH we like would be a Newmar tag axle Dutch Star.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To me there is no cost difference in the log run. Let me explain how I see it, I have owned both by the way. The MH is basically a 5th wheel with a drive train if you think about it. So it may cost more to fix the engine/trans of a MH compared to a 1 ton truck but they should last longer. When I had my 36' fifth wheel I hated it, I felt like I was being push all over the road in the mountains. Now with my MH I still travel the same speed, but am way more comfortable driving it, and my driving fatigue is way less after the trip.

Now I did get better gas milage with the truck and trailer but I can live with that. The registration fees are also cheaper on a trailer than the MH. The last thing is in a MH you either need to rent a car or tow the one you have depending where you are going. To me it is a wash in the long run just enjoy the trip.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do not use a Class A or Class C a minimum of 60 days a year, I recommend a 5er or TT. Unless you have the extra disposable income, why spend the extra money towards higher vehicle registration, insurance costs and engine maintenance. With a 5er, the truck can be used 12 months a year for work and play. Just MHO
Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #4

Fifth wheel trailers are best used when sitting in one place. For example, I would like to tow my fifth wheel trailer to Florida for the Winter. I have no desire to take it to California or such a far off destination.

A motor home is what to use when touring from place to place--on the move. But you've still got to have a toad behind you.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #5

5er:
Pros:
Rear living
taller ceiling
going down the road - especially with a 1 ton diesel
cons:
backing into a site
driving a gussler to work every day you're not RVing.

MH:
Pros:
Backing into a site
Having a decent MPG car to drive to work every day you're not RVing
unhitching tow bars from toad much easier than unhitching trailer
Cons:
No rear living - steering wheel in your den.
Cost to keep tags and insurance
Tires! Look to spend @$3000 every 7 years.

This is by far not an exhaustive list. If you're worried you will make the wrong choice, you will. I used to have Ford F350/Jayco 30' 5er. Went down the road with no problems. Now I have a 36' Holiday Rambler MH/PT Cruiser toad. Sets up in a site like a dream but is blown all over the interstates. Instead of driving a manly F350 to work everyday ($100+/week) I drive a PT ($30/week - but not quite as manly!). There's not a bunch of cars that a V10 can tow 4 wheels down. There's always something I like with my set up now, but things I like about the 5er too.
GlenninTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #6

what i dont like about a 5er is the setup times and moving it

a MH its in and 15 min and setup

as for doing your own work you well find if you get a DP you well not have most of the shop tools to do the work things cost to much or bolts dont work like you want them to

gas MH is what i have
Old 10-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think they both are awesome. I love the mixture of 5th's and MH's at every campground we visit.... but we move A LOT - some move around faster than we do.. and for me, the MH wins in that dept.... just unhook all your junk and take off.

And we do this on the cheap.. but I'm really glad i dont' have to back a 5ver onto blocks and all that jazz.... that being said, those who do... make it look easy........................................

I think it's just a matter of your lifestyle. I love 5th wheels. I think they are cool, impressive, roomy, slick, sexy - the trucks too, but at the same time I feel the same about MH's - To me in the long run, the MH is more simple to operate.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #8

One huge consideration is whether you need/want/like a large pick-em-up truck.

My step daughter and her (recently deceased) husband had a Ford F350 4-door, full bed dually to pull their 38' 5th wheel. But they had a business where the F350 was required. So it made sense to them and they were very happy with that combo.

On the other hand...

I totally dislike large trucks of any kind and have no use for a pickup truck (big or otherwise). So my DW and I bought a 2003 41' DP and its 2004 Honda CRV dinghy vehicle at the end of May, 2014. The coach is the right size for us and the CRV fits my needs and wants perfectly.

Food for thought. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. It's great drivin' down the road and asking, "Babe, I need a pick-me-up! Can you make me a no-foam, double-shot latte?" There's nothing like sippin' a fresh latte at 60 MPH!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #9

For our family of 6, its nice being able to roll down the highway and still have use of all the space and facilities of the MH. Our 7 year old otherwise would have me pulling over every hour for bathroom breaks. Lol.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajayabb View Post
For our family of 6, its nice being able to roll down the highway and still have use of all the space and facilities of the MH. Our 7 year old otherwise would have me pulling over every hour for bathroom breaks. Lol.
One I missed. My wife is a "I've got to get there 5 minutes better than my best time" kind of traveler. I would rather enjoy the trip. Stop to see the largest ball of twine kind of traveler (and use the bathroom). With the MH my wife can drive the wheels off of it and I can get up and stretch, fix a snack, and of course pee! Somewhat hard on curvy roads!!
GlenninTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #11

I confess, I have not penciled out the cost difference between our MH and our past 32' 5er and diesel dually pickup. But there is a huge difference in our driving and riding comfort in the MH. We are sightseers and rolling down the byways in the MH is absolutely wonderful. Bathroom breaks are so much easier in the MH. No more getting out in the wind or rain for the necessities although I usually do anyway to look at the tires and towbar.
I do all the driving and with the added sight distance and by always allowing plenty of following space we arrive more relaxed after our typical 250-275 mile days at 60-62 mph. You know; Easy-does-it!
I find that hitching our 5er was easier than hitching the MH to the 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup we have now. That difference is no big deal. Many others will disagree but that IMHO.
I believe that the cost of owning and maintaining the MH is significantly higher especially in the first years of ownership. Initial outlay, sales tax (ouch), more costly license fees and insurance in many states, LOF, fuel, tires all figure in.
But, for us, all the costs are worth the pure pleasure of traveling in a quality coach by Newmar/Freightliner/Cummins/Allison.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #12

We went from a 5th wheel & 3/4 ton pickup to a Dutch Star and Honda Element. It hasn't cost us anything more in the long run and we like it much better
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #13

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm View Post
I would love to own a MH and was thinking about the yearly cost vs a 5er
I love to do all my own repairs and engine stuff when it is within my ability.
So how much more does it cost to own a MH vs a 5er,I would think a lot of you have moved up to a MH and should have a good idea how much more per year it has changed for you.
The MH we like would be a Newmar tag axle Dutch Star.
I would say, get what you would love to own! Otherwise you will always be telling yourself, "I wish I had bought that _ _ _ "
Like others have said, they each have their pros and cons.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #14

The nice thing about a MH is that it sets up real easy, If you pull into a CG in really bad weather/ late at night ect you don't even need to get out. You can set it up/level and put the slides out all from inside and then run off your generator, or inverter until it's nice enough to go outside and hook up the electricy and water. Also while on the road you can stop anywhere and sleep/go to the bathroom ect with no problems. When moving from spot to spot your takedown/set up time is only 10-15 minutes.

One of the posters said the MH got blown all over the interstate. If you are considering a Newmar you won't experience that, we have the Canyon Star which drives, handles and tracks great. I'm sure the Dutch Star is going to be an even better ride than ours.

As far as maintenace, you have to either do it on your tow vehicle or the MH so I would think that is a wash. I do all my own maintenace so it has not been an issue for me. Taxes/Insurance, with a MH you are only insuring and paying registration on one vehicle not two, so again I think that would be a wash. Our MH isn't that much more to insure than our Toyota Camry and we have a replacement policy for the first 3 years on the MH.

Again like said by others, do your research and buy what you really want. Once you ride in a MH and enjoy the journey ,scenery,and ease of travel I don't think you will be disappointed, even if it costs a little more.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote