Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #1

Angry Mice!

So have never had a problem then just in the past year or so I find the plastic caps under the hood of the wifes car that hide the top of the shock are chewed up and have big holes in the cap.
Then notice something had been nesting under my truck hood, now I am doing an oil change on wifes car and something has chewed the insulation off the harness going to one of the injectors, now I also find the plugs at the end of my sewer storage bumper have been chewed.
So it appears for some reason mice or something have decided that we are fair game, so will have to see what I can do about it, don't need them getting into the fifth wheel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #2

It's been a long fight here also! MICE!

I'll be curious to hear how you solve this one. I'm not sure if our problem is mice or chipmunks, but we are experienceing a lot of the same issues. Plus they have gotten into our coach and our house while we were in Florida this winter. Mouse traps have not been very successful and I hesitate to use bait, as I don't want the dog chasing down sick mice and eating them. He is 18 years old and still reasonably healthy - I'd hate to loose him in the mouse battle... And cats are out of the question - my daughter is highly allergic to them - and the dog already has ownership of the houe! LOL. Any other ideas? We tried peppermint oil in the coach, but they seem to thrive on the scent... Grrrrrr Thanks for your thoughts, dottie
dottieshines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #3

I was told traps, but also to use bounce dryer sheets.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can control mice INSIDE the coach fairly easily, Or rather a couple of friends of mine can (Amber and Alex) for some reason mice don't care to play where the the Feline couple live.. Don't know why, The cats tell me they love mice, they hear they have great taste.... Or is that taste great?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We've had them build nests out of the dryer sheets!

This past winter is the first we've not had mice in our rig for many years. I'm attributing this to our use of : Fresh Cab 12 Pack Standard Web Package

Works as well as moth balls (also very effective), but with a very pleasant smell.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #6

My DW jag wouldn't start because the mice ate the main wiring harness. $1,400.00 to fix it. Getting into the MH isn't the only problem. Good luck.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I assume these vehicles are kept outside. Mothballs work well and I have no problem with sticky traps. Got one this winter in the trap but it was still cold and he was well preserved. It's us against them and if we lose its going to cost big bucks and a pain in the you know what.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #8

A cat might catch the occasional mouse but the rest of them stay safely away in your walls. If you leave poison blocks in your compartments the mice will eat and then take off in search of water.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Man View Post
I assume these vehicles are kept outside. Mothballs work well and I have no problem with sticky traps. Got one this winter in the trap but it was still cold and he was well preserved. It's us against them and if we lose its going to cost big bucks and a pain in the you know what.
Mothballs do work well, but will leave an unpleasant lingering odor well into the season. I did use them in the storage and mechanical bays, however.

I don't see traps, of any kind, as a viable option for us as long as we're here, in central WI. They need to be frequently checked, not something easy or pleasant to do when the MH is surrounded by three or four feet of snow.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are getting a lingering odor from mothballs you're using to many. 20-30 spread over the length of our mh is all it has taken to keep them away with no lingering odors.

Dave
Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #11

We also use Bounce dryer sheets and moth balls. Had a problem years ago with mice eating the wiring in the engine compartment. They got in the coach and made their home all winter (in Southern California). The critters found one pack of Juicy Fruit gum (left behind by mistake in a galley drawer) and managed to eat the gum leaving all the tiny little pieces of silver wrapping!

We now put a small amount of moth balls in small yogurt cups and place three or four cups in the engine compartment (Ford E-350). We put a couple of cups in the inside of the coach and Bounce sheets all over. No problems so far !
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #12

We use pure peppermint oil from GNC. (the only place I know to buy it) Put it on cotton balls or cotton-like makeup pads and put them in the basement compartments and under cabinets that are convenient. Works well, needs re-wet every couple of months. And an inoffensive odor when you do get a whiff.

I've read many people swear that it doesn't work, (like the mouse nest out of dryer sheets above) and I can't help but believe that they think they're right. I just know that we kept finding mouse droppings and chewed areas until we went to peppermint oil. Since then, nothing.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Try a product called Critter Out spray it on your undercarrainge engine compartment and accesss areas every 2-3 weeks it works. It coast a little more than dryer sheets or moth balls but it works.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #14

We had an older Class C ,and had mice they were into everything, and it has nothing to do with how clean your coach is because we cleaned everything in the fall got it ready for winter we used dryer sheets, Irish spring on the wheels, mothballs under it, you name it we tried it , we tried everything, Then last year we bought a newer 2002 Class A and I did not want that trouble again and while talking to a co-worker he said he used those electric pest repellant with good results so we went to Wal-Mart and picked them up plugged them in throughout the coach and did not have any problems this past winter at all. Granted I put in six of them facing different directions pointing down up lengthwise to try and cover the most areas you may also want to leave your drawers open to allow no safe haven. I hope this helps
pthopwood is offline   Reply With Quote