Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #1

Mice Control

I read all kinds of ways to control mice but the best I've come up with is using glue traps.

I buy the cold weather types from Gempler. They are designed to be put in meat storage freezer and work well all winter.

Have caught my share of the little devils.

I'm sure other methods work but anything that needs refreshing is a pain and I store my RV on the farm, 200 miles from home.

Also, will catch snakes.

I had (still have) an old clunker RV that I used as my "motel" on the farm and it had bigger/more gaps than David Letterman's teeth. It was and still is a junker but it grew on me and I enjoyed puttering with it. Has great/comfy beds.

The mice could come and go at will but the glue traps put a big dent in their population. So did the snake that took up residence.

Just be careful where you put a glue trap, the glue will run if not on the level and don't step in/on them. The glue is relentless...

Gary

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee, in my house I just hired a team of expert mouse proofers. Amber and Alex,

The thing is they don't intentinoally chase the mice away, In fact they invite them over for lunch, but for some reason the mice do not wish to join the cats for lunch.. Can't understand way, I'm sure the cats would treat them exactly as I'd like them treated.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #3

Yes, I have cats too, indoor and outdoor. But I sure wouldn't want to depend on them to catch anything.

Where I grew up, cats caught a lot of mice on the farm but my "city" cats are so well fed that they think mice are toys and follow them to play with, not harming them. Even the outdoor cats think all varmints are toys or their friends.

That's why I use glue traps, can see the results and they can't crawl into the wall to die and smell for months. Gives me a better idea of how many are in my "hood."

Gary
Old 09-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Garry, Do you get any smell from the dead mice , my wife hates the smell.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #5

No smell if you check your glue traps regularly. Like anything, if you park your RV away from your area and only check every couple of weeks, you probably will get some odor.

But at least you can quickly dispose of it rather than have one stuck in the walls for months. Try to find those little critters.

Gary
Old 09-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #6

I use shreaded Irish Spring Bar Soap in a paper bowl placed in the basement compartments and a few places inside the coach. Never had a mouse problem. One important thing is to make sure there is no Food of any kind to atract them.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Gary, we keep the MH for now at my brothers house and it is in the woods, so I think they get in to nest. I will try again to find the way they are coming in.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I use shreaded Irish Spring Bar Soap in a paper bowl placed in the basement compartments and a few places inside the coach. Never had a mouse problem. One important thing is to make sure there is no Food of any kind to atract them.
Are you saying that the soap is an effective repellant, or is it a poison?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Glue traps are great for catching them. Problem is, if they're catching mice, you've GOT mice. Me, I prefer to kill 'em before they ever get in. Used to get them in our houseboat too. I use those poison blocks. Out at the lake I throw a few under the docks on top of the floatation. Haven't had a mouse for 2 years, they're dead before they ever reach the boat. As for the motorhome, wherever it's parked I put a half dozen or so somewhere in the vicinity, outside, and in a place where the pets can't reach them. I keep a couple of blocks inside too, like behind the fridge, washer, etc... If mice are around, they WILL eat them. Since using them for the past 2 years we haven't had any mice ANYwhere, and the inside blocks are un-touched. As for them dying inside the walls, I've found 2 dead inside, one in the houseboat, one in our basement, and both were right in the middle of the room, not along the walls where they normally travel. I guess they look for a way out in a panic. That was over a year ago. Since I've made sure there's fresh blocks outside for them to eat, they never seem to ever make it inside. And THAT'S how I like it.
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
6mm

I had mice in my new TT and the wife had a fit so I bought two cans of spray foam,the type that does not expand and finished the job that the factory should have done in the first place.
After the foam dried I trimed the the excess with my pocket knife then spray painted it black to match the the bottom of the trailer.It looks good and have no mice inside now.
You should of seen the foaming they missed you could have driven a truck thru some of the holes.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
That was over a year ago. Since I've made sure there's fresh blocks outside for them to eat, they never seem to ever make it inside. And THAT'S how I like it.
I don't want them inside either. Ive always wondered if it was a good idea to have poison blocks inside because obviously that would be baiting them to come inside. Of course if you already know they will be coming in thats different. I have been putting them in the compartments but I am thinking of an outside alternative. I'm just to worried about the possibility of a pet finding one.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #12

I don't have an rv yet, but I've been thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that the mice need access to get in the rv. That being said, it looks like to me they will have to climb a tire or climb on anything that contacts the ground. I have thought about putting the glue traps around the wheels and jacks. Anybody tried that?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
I don't have an rv yet, but I've been thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that the mice need access to get in the rv. That being said, it looks like to me they will have to climb a tire or climb on anything that contacts the ground. I have thought about putting the glue traps around the wheels and jacks. Anybody tried that?
I have read on here (and will do it this weekend) to put traps on top of the tires and in the electrical bay as we keep ours plugged in while in the garage. Like you said, they need to climb something to get inside.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #14

We have owned several RVs, one thing we found is that if we leave the slides out we do not get the little critters but if the are not out we have gotten them. Especially if the unit is parked inside of a building where they can get in without any detection. Howard