Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #1

I live in the country so mice are a way of life. What comes with the little SOBs is HANTA VIRUS. We live in the Four corners region where 90% of the cases of HVPS occur.
There has got to be a way to keep them out of our RV. I have dogs so poison is doubtfull. Two other reasons for not using poison. Birds of prey and the fact that I can never poison them all because more will just come in. I would have to kill every mouse for a square mile. I cannot plug the holes where they are getting in because of the slides.
I have done some checking on ultrasonic deterrents but I'm getting mixed signals on the efficacy. Anybody got any ideas? Hanta Virus scares the bejeebers out of me and in reality I should clean the trailer out wearing a full biohazard suit. And then would just have to do it again in three weeks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #2

I live in the country so mice are a way of life. What comes with the little SOBs is HANTA VIRUS. We live in the Four corners region where 90% of the cases of HVPS occur.
There has got to be a way to keep them out of our RV. I have dogs so poison is doubtfull. Two other reasons for not using poison. Birds of prey and the fact that I can never poison them all because more will just come in. I would have to kill every mouse for a square mile. I cannot plug the holes where they are getting in because of the slides.
I have done some checking on ultrasonic deterrents but I'm getting mixed signals on the efficacy. Anybody got any ideas? Hanta Virus scares the bejeebers out of me and in reality I should clean the trailer out wearing a full biohazard suit. And then would just have to do it again in three weeks.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:06 PM   #3

Get a cat, or two.

We don't have the virus but do have mice. Wife got a cat, litter box and "cat bed"?? and put in MH. It worked, no more mice. Of course now we have the cat. Don't know which is worse......

04 Bounder, 34'
Wolfman Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #4

We have a cat in the house and that works for keeping the house relatively free of mice. RV is parked in the yard and the dogs are two Rhodesian Ridgebacks and one Anatolian Shepherd so the having a cat in the yard is not gonna work. Not to mention the owls that kill all cats smaller than 10lbs.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Aztecian, I have had mice one got beheaded in furnace , and one caught in mouse trap ,this winter I placed BOUNCE fabric sofeners in every compartment and under draw space, around generator where ever I thought they might go.
You guessed it not a single mouse anywhere. Besides the coach smelled just as fresh as a new baby. Its worked for others give it a try. "007"

By the way welcome to IRV2
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:38 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Aztecian,

Years ago we had a pop-up that mice chewed up over a winter. Mice turds were everywhere - except in a compartment under the sink where we kept a bottle of Avon Skin So Soft. The bottle tended to leak slightly so it was wrapped in newspaper and the paper had absorbed some of the liquid. Not one mouse turd was found in that compartment. Henceforth, when storing the camper, I would dribble a few drops of Avon SSO on sheets of newspaper and place around the popup. Had no more evidence of mice.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:17 AM   #7

YEP BOUNCE WORKS !!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:29 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Great information!! Never heard of the " Bounce" trick. Definately going to try that one myself.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:14 PM   #9

Been using dryer sheets for years with no mice yet. House sparrows on the other hand have nested in our vents causing a lot of trouble.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #10

If I can add 2 cents worth here (cdn btw) we had mice...put some used cat litter under the trailer and no more mice.........we also used bounce and found it worked so-so........but then a lady informed us that the bounce sheets should be used once and then put in trailer to ward off mice.......cant say for sure either way..

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #11

All good ideas. I think the used cat litter sounds like the best solution if it works. It should keep the little critters from ever getting in as opposed to just keeping them out of the certain areas with Bounce. Besides I have a hypersensitive nose and hate the smell of fabric softeners, detergent, perfume, etc.
No feedback on the ultrasonic devices?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:00 AM   #12

Our first fiver had a resident mouse. After putting moth balls around, he packed up and left. Not sure which is worse...the mouse or the smell of moth balls.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:26 AM   #13

For the Sparrows, try a rubber OWL. It works in the backyard !
Old 04-28-2006, 08:55 AM   #14

Appalachian Campers
How often do you need to replace the Bounce sheets?