Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Mice solutions needed....

It's getting colder here in WI and mice are looking for a place to stay for the winter. What is the best way to keep them out? The 1st sign was chewed up toilet paper from the spare rolls under the bathroom sink. Must have came up the plumbing lines. I bought the poison blocks, put them all over the motor home. Under the kitchen cabinets, behind drawers etc. The toilet paper was right next to a new box of dryer sheets so i'm not thinking that's the ans. Is poison the best way to go? Going camping this weekend and not looking for any stowaways....

2000 Suncruiser 35U....New to me in 2013 with only 13000 miles!!!
bhuppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Electronic mouse repellent worked for me. I placed in the motorhome over a year ago and have not seen mouse signs since. I had seen a mouse just before. I used poisen once, a mouse died under the floor, it took a couple months for the smell to disappear.

Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #3

I used this product for two years while storing outside along with a couple of the ultrasonic devices. Didn't have ANY mice. Big thing is to make sure there is NO Food in the RV. They will get in if they smell food.

Keep Mice and Rodents out of your RV | Mouse Free
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The electronic do-dads did nothing for us, nor did the dryer sheets (the mice made nests out of them). The combination that did finally work for us was moth balls in the storage bays and Fresh Cab in the "house". That year we didn't find a single sign of rodents in residence.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Softener sheets - Mice use them to slide on hardwood/tile floors
Moth balls - mice play soccer with them
Irish Spring soap - Mice bathe with it
Spring Traps - a challenge to get the bait
Live traps - get turned loose and head back for the RV
Electronic noise emitters - they have a nice beat and eventually can dance to it

Mice will figure a way to adapt to any human intervention. I swear you could park an RV on an empty & sterilized barge and put it in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico and within a week you'd find a mouse in the RV.

Seal up anything and every opening larger than a pencil (engine compartment as well). Why it takes a 2" hole to put something with a 1 1/2" diameter is beyond me but... It will take several trips through and under the RV to get them all. Keep hacking at it and eventually you'll stop them - kind of.

You can rent a theatrical smoke machine. Open all interior cabinets, drawers, doors etc. fill it with smoke and use positive pressure with fans at the door or a window and you'll see the smoke coming out. Seal the openings you find.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a proven mouse repellent. It's called "Fresh Cab" "Rodent Repellent". I picked up a new box at our local Ace Hardware yesterday.

It is not a poison but a botanical. It is concentrated Balsam Fir Oil and animals hate it. I hate it. It smell like pine needles. Really really strong pine needles.

I just spread them around on the floor of our 40x60 shed and it keeps the mice out of the building. I also put one or two inside the RVs. They last a long time as the ones I put out last year are still pretty strong.

The RV, once the packs are removed don't seem to retain any odor.

Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote