Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Michelin tires

Folks:
Need a suggestion on where in the central Ohio, specifically Columbus area, I can find a Michelin dealer that participates in the FMCA program. Just for kicks I called a local truck tire dealer and he quoted me $4700 for 6 size 295-80-22.2 mounted and balanced. Had 2 tires put on the front earlier in the year but would NOT use the place again, never, ever!!!
Thanks
Ron K

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used fmca program for Michelin tires a few years ago. Found local authorized dealer via Michelin web site.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That's around the going price for Michelin 295/80's. You can do better through the FMCA (Michelin Fleet pricing) program, or simply choose a different brand that is much less expensive. I recently paid $515 each for Toyo's in that same size.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Portland OR Michelin Advantage dealer won't work with our SmarTire system so I'm going to have to drive to Junction City and the Les Schwab there to get it all done since they're right across the road form the original CC factory and work with them all the time.
Going to call them tomorrow and see about availability of the 4 - 365/70R 22.5's and 4 - 315/80R 22.5's that I need.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Dealer & Service Locator | Michelin Truck

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #6

I usually look for a TCI tire center, either owned or affiliated with Michelin. They also can get the BG Goodrich ST230, made by Michelin, and also qualifies for the FMCA tire program.

If you are not able to travel to an appropriate Michelin related tire dealer. Another tire that has positive reviews, and is supposed to be a better riding tire then the Toyo (Unless it has changed, Toyo tires are made for the trucking industry, and while a respected and robust tire, they can be a rough riding tire. May not matter to you, and could be coach/chassis specific.) The Hankook AH11 or AH12 were the tires that I had heard very positive feedback as a good balance between lower costs, quality of build, and ride comfort.

I will note that I have 2 out my 8 tires as BF Goodrich ST230, had to pick these up due to two damaged pothole tires about 18 months ago. Michelin tire shortage at that time, and was lucky to find the ST230's at TCI. Just replace the other 6 tires before heading out on this years trip. I changed to an alternate tire size, going to 295/80's vs 12R's, and that brought the Michelin XZA2's available to me. Better rolling resistance, and very nice riding and comfortable tire.

If I wanted to balance costs on a tire purchase, I feel the Hankook's on the rear, and the Michelin XZA2 or XZA3 (Depending upon availability for your size.) would be an economic saving, and provide a good ride and be safe all around. Probably the same with the Toyo's going on the rear, but believe the Hankooks are a lower purchase price point.)

Best of luck to you on your tire search,
Smitty
Old 09-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how anyone can classify Toyo as a "truck tire" and then recommend Goodrich and Hankook in the same paragraph. Both are major fleet suppliers, US and around the world. About the only tire made to be pretty much exclusive for RVs is the GY G670. All the Michelins popular for motorhomes are sold for the general truck & bus market as well.

There simply aren't enough motorhome tires sold to develop a tire model just for that market.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought the XRV was made for RVs? My size certainly does not come recommended for anything except an RV.

235/80R22.5 it seems no one except Michelin makes it.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I thought the XRV was made for RVs? My size certainly does not come recommended for anything except an RV.

235/80R22.5 it seems no one except Michelin makes it.
Yes, the XRV is designed for motorhome usage, as well as the GY 670. Supposedly has formulation that is to resist UV deterioration and last longer in low annual mileage usage.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #10

Walmart or Costco. Saving money vs Saving your life....... RU Kidding Me?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't know how anyone can classify Toyo as a "truck tire" and then recommend Goodrich and Hankook in the same paragraph. Both are major fleet suppliers, US and around the world. About the only tire made to be pretty much exclusive for RVs is the GY G670. All the Michelins popular for motorhomes are sold for the general truck & bus market as well.

There simply aren't enough motorhome tires sold to develop a tire model just for that market.
Gee Gary - It was not anyone, it was I, Smitty!

And good point on my poor attempt of describing my assessment of these different tires. As you may know, I usually post very short and crisps posts!

I've had Toyo's, I've had BF Goodrich. I've had Michelin.

I found the Toyo's to be very stiff, and rough riding on the front steers. (Now, to be fair, and as I've posted in other threads on tires, these were the Country Coach OEM tires, and were 6-7 years old when I bought our coach.) I found our next set, the Michelin XZE's to also be stiff riding, but less so then the Toyo's had been. I only had 2 BF Goodrich ST230's, mounted on the steers, and found them to be a better riding tire then the Michelin XZE's over expansion joints and DOTS between the lanes. My current set of tires, and on our steers, are the Michelin XZA2's, and I find them to be the best riding as far as noise and roughness of any tires so far on this coach. (And again to be fair, and clear, this was a alternate tire size, going to 295/80 from 12R's. And the could have been a factor, even though they were all the same Load Range.)

I've never had Hankook's, but people I know and respect with the same size coaches that we have, have given me their opinion that they ride better then other RV tires that they've had.

So, my choice of wording was wrong in my description of Toyo's. And, as I've also said in many other tire threads, I feel Toyo's have earned a fair reputation of both value, and safety. But, I've also heard owners complain about smell, and stiffness of ride.

I think, hope, all of us are trying to share our experiences on these kinds of threads. Sometimes I do not do a good job in how I write my experiences, and opinions!

To be clear. Nothing wrong with Toyo's. And yes, with exception of the few tire models mentioned here already, they are all 'truck tires'.

Sorry if my poor wording rubbed you the wrong way on this thread. May not have been the first time, may not be the last time either! But for sure, never intentional to you - or anyone.

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Old 09-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'll grant that the XRV is mostly an RV tire, and made primarily in sizes used on motorhomes. Oddly, though, it is not made in sizes suitable for larger coaches. You would think that if having an "RV tire" was important, they would make it available for the larger and top-of-the-line motorhome models. Instead, for those they recommend tire models such as the XZA2 and XZE. Dig into the XZE specs to get more details, and you end up on the Michelin Truck web page. It's a "truck tire".

Maybe back in the day there were some notable differences, but today all but the cheapest modern tires have good UV resistance and are designed for fairly broad use. Tire manufacturers consider motorhomes to be similar to the "regional delivery" application, meaning a combination of city and highway driving, with moderate exposure to scrubbing and abrasion (curbs and such), and relatively low daily and annual mileage (at least compared to long haul trucking). They sell the same tires for both RV and regional delivery.

It would probably not be wise to choose a tire designed specifically for long haul (OTR) trucking, nor would it be wise to choose a city bus tire either. However, those are just two of several categories within the more generic 'truck tire' field.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gee Gary - It was not anyone, it was I, Smitty
Smitty,
While you were indeed the immediate inspiration for my reply, you are hardly the only one to make the RV vs Truck tire distinction. I see it in numerous tire discussions, here and elsewhere, and wanted to express my own, contrary, opinion. I said "anyone" cause there was no intention to single you out.

It's OK if we disagree. That's what makes horse-racing, right?
Old 09-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #14

Gary - Not sure we disagree at all, on the subject of RV tires and Truck tires. Sure, you may prefer a different brand of tire then I do, but no worries on that, we both make what we feel is the right decisions for us at that point of time.

I had a thought about the XRV, and that is that the XRV construction is not robust enough to handle the required load ratings for the bigger DP's. For sure not a fact, but what I concluded along the way.

One interesting tidbit to add onto your last posts about XZE and XZA2/3 tires. When shopping for our first set of new shoes, to replace the aged OEM Toyo's, I asked Michelin the difference between the XZE and the XZE* tires. I was told that the XZE* were a bit more beefier in the sidewalls. They had been built specifically for school bus duty, usually the 12R size was/is(?) used on school busses. And that extra beef was to provide extra protection from curb kissing abuse!

Well since we were moving form what my DW consider a 'too big of vehicle to be driven by mere mortal's' Bounder T28, to our 'galactic size interstellar capable 40' Diesel Pusher' - I had some concerns about a possible 'learning curve opportunity' for her driving the rig (And as it turned out, myself too!). So I went with the beefier XZE*'s... They served us well, and most survived the combo of terrible road conditions, occasional clipping of a rear tire on a curb, and our Alaska adventure too. (We did lose the two tires to the California pot hole...). We paid for this extra beefiness with a bit stiffer ride then we'd had liked. Made even more so when we went from Koni SP1 Adjustable to Road Kings.

Very pleased with the improvement in ride comfort with the 'Truck Tire' XZA2's, in 295/80 22.5 size.

Funny about tire threads, they seem to quite often bring out different opinions amongst us RV'ers. And, you know, some prefer them there wet cell batteries over the AGM's (Well, except for some of those radical RV'ers that have shifted to Lithium...). Yep, us RV'ers are a fickle brood of human's.

Now excuse me, as I see a conversation in the campground on the virtues of Dino of Synthetic - that's a good hour or so of BS'ing ahead for Smitty!

Best to all,
Smitty

Tags
tires