Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Microsoft Streets and Trips

Just returned from a 7 week 5600+ mile trip that I used Streets and trips for planning. We also used a Garmin and an Atlas as we went The program was quite helpful and it gives us a nice documented map of our completed trip. Yet it can be very frustrating to use. Here are some of the problems:

Determining the time it takes between stops is not determined by a speed that I choose (I cannot put in an actual average speed)
Every time I make any change in the route it always redirects the map back to the start and zooms the map out! Seems it should redraw the correction and focus the screen to that position.
The construction info is nice but why does it not offer bridge clearances.
(Got into trouble in NY State)
Many routes it chose would take you on a gravel road or into a residential area even if the area is not compatable with a Motor Home. It needs a setting for cars and for oversize vehicles.
It allows for bypassing a Toll road but it will reroute you along a county road to save a mile if you have it set for the shortest route rather than continue using a highway that is thru.

There is no consideration taken for fuel stops that cannot accomidate not being able to back a toad.

One of the biggest problems that I am having is seperating the frustrations caused by the Garmin and Streets and Trips. Now that I decided to type out my frustrations I am Having difficulity remembering which one bugged me the most!

It would have been nice to see a translation ( in the Streets and Trips)from French to English of the highway signs along the route while in Quebec! The rest of Canada is accomidating in my lack of ability but Quebec acts like they are a bunch of Iowans where the signs are only in their language! I can only read "Corn"!

Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Texas Boomers Club
So would you use Streets and trips on your next trip even with those problems? I have been looking at purchasing it before my east coast trip.

Leon and Anita Kirby / Fur Kids - Onyx and Riley
2012 Super Duty F-450 FX4 Lariat 6.7L/6 Speed Auto/4.3 RR Crew Cab LB Dually
2011 DRV Mobile Suites 36 TKSB3 5th Wheel
lpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
I found those same problems with streets and trips and another you mentioned. I like to load the program into my desk top at home and liesurely take time to plan a route. Then take the disk and load it onto the MH laptop and email the trip to myself. Delorme has many features like "Off Route" recalculations. You can select which type of roads you want to travel on, speeds you want to drive, time or mileage you want to travel, Fuel stops, camp grounds and so much more. Ive used delorme for over 20 years and tried numerous others to compare and the only thing now even close is the new Rand McNally 7710 designed for RV's.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
We use Streets and Trips all the time, but not as a GPS repalcement. Before each large trip, we determine our route and map with Streets and Trips. We get a general idea of the total miles and the distances between stops. What would really make it helpful would be the abillity to overide it's daily mileage and just be able to manually select where you want to stop each day.

We mainly use the program to find campgrounds in areas where we want to stop. We used it several times on our last trip because we had no set plan and changed our stop over spots several times. We would find the City where we wanted to stop and then search the area with Streets and Trips for campgrounds. We would narrow down the choices by looking at the campground websites and then check them in RV Reviews.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by lpkirby View Post
So would you use Streets and trips on your next trip even with those problems? I have been looking at purchasing it before my east coast trip.
Yes I will use it. Although I find it irritating at times it is what I have! I have trouble walking at times too!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Like Iowans??? What do you have against Iowans?
2003 Ford F-250 King Ranch 4x4 6L PSD
2012 Jayco 31.5FBHS
DW and an African Grey chatterbox
denverhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by denverhank View Post
Like Iowans??? What do you have against Iowans?
You ever see a street sign in French in Iowa? I are an Iowan!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
With 4 or 5 minor improvements the program would be ideal. I break my trips down by the days if multiple days of travel are planned. I use it to take me to actual satellite views of intersections or fuel stops. Printing those out and scribbling notes on them is handy for my navigator. Having a visual of the off ramp or which lane to be in really takes the pressure off in places. You can add any waypoints for rest stops if you want. Exporting the file to my garmin is easy enough but could be even easier. Setting up a template is not intuitive either. Better control of mph would be helpful.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been using MS Streets and Trips for years and love it for planning trips and over night stays. I use a Rand-McNally Atlas as a back up. The longest trip I've used it to plan was from Las Vegas to Eagle Harbor, MI via Denver, CO and return via Oklahoma City, OK. Worked like a charm. Can not justify, nor do I really want a "Garmin" type unit for the amount of RVing we do. I've been using various versions since the 2005 version and I'm still using the 2009 version currently. I really don't use the "fill up" feature, but I do use the feature that allows the programming of a break after so many hours to allow for a fill up if I need to do other than an end of day refuel. As I finally decided to stop after the nearest place after 6 hours driving, fueling is generally an end of day event anyway. The improvements that I would like to see is a better average speed guide. IIRC the 2005 version let you actually set a numerical speed and it worked much better than the current guestimate. The sliding scale isn't that great and I would like to see the inclusion of more RV parks and governmental campgrounds in a place I would like to stop.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
IIRC the 2005 version let you actually set a numerical speed and it worked much better than the current guestimate.
I've got the 2006 version on my laptop and it has the sliding scale for speed - I set it to the slowest setting for freeways and highways and that works for me. I figured that out by setting a route that was 100% on a freeway and calculating the speed based on the results of the route - the slowest setting is pretty close to 55 mph.

The 2006 version has a good selection of campgrounds, including 1000 Trails parks - I checked out the 2011 version and the 1000 Trails parks were not included so I stayed with the 2006 version.
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I just installed 2013 on my laptop and will use it as we used all the others we have sitting on the 'redundant disk' shelf. I usually want to do 300 miles a day and at those points I hit "Find nearby places" and Bob's you uncle.

Other than guiding us to 'closed for the season' campgrounds that we were planning on using before the Memorial Day Weekend it worked wonders fo us. It also introduced us to Wallydocking in a big way.

I too use an Atlas as a backup and DW has an older Megallen set up on her side of the MH. I have a Netbook with 2012 on it and will update to 2013 before we leave for the south after Christmas. I also have a USB GPS plugin for the Netbook and it works very accurately.

Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Have you downloaded the POI file

I use MS+T, I tried DeLorme and have the program but it was taking me too long to adjust to it so I ordered a newer 2011 Streets and Trips with the GPS receiver. I downloaded a great file of Points Of Interest that was previously mentioned on another post. It takes some learning also but has pin sets of all kinds of "name brand" places including state parks. Walmart. w and w/o Overnight privileges, Pilots, Flying J, all kinds of chain restaurants. So much info that you could cover over the whole map with icons for locations, or you can do only one. I'm thinking it was "Larry's files". A good addon and free. I wish I was better at using all the features but I get by and keep learning mostly trial and error.

2002 Newmar Dutchstar
Traveling with my excellent driver hubby rvJimmy
2006 Saturn for touring
KRose is offline   Reply With Quote