Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The mid entry MH we have has been pretty great for getting 2 big dogs in and out. We also like the fact that when bringing groceries and stuff into it that we don't have to negotiate a trip around seats.

We also found it very convenient when we had our Amish Cooling Unit installed. Getting stuff into the coach was easy. I've heard folks that have replaced refers with new residential ones sometimes had to have the items moved in and out of the coach through a window.

Now, that being said, I am certain we will adapt when we get our DP.

Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #30
We started with a gas class A that had a mid-entry door. When we were preparing to upgrade to diesel we knew most likely we would have to get used to a front entry setup. However Fleetwood came out with the best of both worlds on their new Excursion -the door is the mid way point between a traditional front entry and a mid entry. My dog loves sitting up front in the big space in front of the front passenger seat. But we still have a long kitchen counter space area. The other thing is we wanted a drop down bed over cab option -you can't do that with a traditional front entry.

Either way whatever you are comfortable with. For us the Excursion's middle of the road approach worked for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excursion.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	26906  

RVMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #31
We looked at roughly 50 Class A before we settled on our 02 American Eagle with a side entry door. We have been full timing for 4 months now and have Zero regrets with the floor plan. As stated here, groceries and general loading is wonderful. The door is in the mid point of the big awning, so you have a very nice protected area. I love that when we come in with the dogs, they hit tile before they even get close to carpet. We don't miss any storage space because we didn't have it before and we don't need it now. This thing already has too much storage space for us. It is all a trade off. Sure, we might have used that area for a desk or something, but the dinette seems to work just fine for that. I will look for another with a side entry if we ever trade up, but probably won't find one with 3-4 slides and a mid door.

Good luck and walk through a bunch of different floor plans. Then buy it, use it and don't look back.

Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #32
My dog would prefer a front entry. Somehow, even though things are different, she knows when it is time to go home. She goes to where my truck door would have been and looks confused when I don't come and let her in.

Storage space? My MH has storage space, just to put the storage space.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #33
Hello again all,
I hereby confesss that I'm posting this largely to get this thread back up to the top! (bump?) There is another very similar thread in the Class A forum and it has been getting all the hits lately. It had dropped a bit and got revived lately and has been getting a fair number of new interesting posts so I thought it might be interesting to bring this back up on this forum.
I'd like to thank all who responded initially and invite all new comments. This is obviously a subject of much interest to my wife and me as we feel it is a deal breaker and I'm fascinated that while some folks feel strongly about it, others don't seem to even be aware of the issue or option. Several folks have come up with issues/ideas that we had not considered, and I look forward to learning of even more!
Thanks to All
ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Side door causes wasted/lost use of valuable space on the wall where the side door is located
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #35
Monaco Owners Club
The only deal breaker for us when we where shopping was how the room was inside with or with out slides. If we could not move around inside comfortably it was a no go.
There we lots that we just stepped into and left almost right away since you could hardly even walk inside and thats with the slides out if it had them. We made the dealers or private sellers put slides in just to see the room. Door in front or side made no difference it was all what the room and storage was like inside. This is our home and it better be comfortable.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #36
Front Entry vs Mid Entry

Each type of entry has it's own advantage. We purchase an Allegro Bay new in 2001. It was a class A gas unit with a mid entry. Last year we traded for a 2005 diesel pusher with a front entry.

Over the years the wife has developed some knee and leg problems which made the Allegro Bay passenger seat very uncomfortable for traveling longer distances. The dog house was also an issure. The diesel pusher has more leg room, the captains chair has an electric foot rest. The entry stairs are electric and they raise even with the inside floor. They are also rated for 250 lbs in the raised position.

I our case the advantages of the front entry out weighed the disadvantages.

If the wife is happy I'm very happy.
2005 KSDP ISC 8.3 330HP
Pulling 2010 Silverado with drive shaft disconnect
Beowulf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #37
Originally Posted by ROADOG View Post
My wife and I are shopping for a "new to us" diesel pusher motorhome. We have a strong dislike of the "bus style" front door entry, and are wondering if we are alone in this (as the prevalence of front doors on newer coaches would suggest) or are there others who feel this way as well. Of those who prefer front entry, I would ask: Would you please explain the addvantages to me? As to why I dislike front doors:
1. They interfere with the passenger seat by placing the hole in the floor where feet should be (even an automatic cover leaves an uneven floor).
2. The passenger seat winds up offset to the rear such that two people are no longer seated side by side with each other in a companionable fashion.
3. Should the driver want to exit the coach during a brief stop to check on the rig etc. he must climb over/disturb the passenger to do so, as driver's doors seem to have become extinct.
4. They go against typical architectural traffic flow: When was the last time you were in someone's home, and, to leave the living room, you had to go to the far corner of the room and around the back of a recliner to get out the front door?!
5. This last point is particularly pertinent as in a motorhome, with the kitchen virtually always in the middle, and a patio under an awning, again in the center of the coach, the trip from the lounge chair to the fridge doubles in length. I guess they feel we need the excercise!
I would love to hear any and all views on this subject.
We prefer (and chose) front door at passenger entry, we have four slides, and I would think the mid-door entry would not allow for that.
1. I use the floor cover, and a stool. If the floor were at the same height as the driver, I would still need the stool. Yes, we have adjustable seats, set on the lowest level. Yes, I have short legs. And a recliner option, which I often use.
2. We are seated side by side.
3. I am usually first out the door, and first in the door (some kind of etiquette DH learned I suppose?) If I were to stay in my seat, he would not need to climb over me or disturb me, he would just need to bring in the floor cover.
4. Last time I was at my sister's house. Had to also go down the stairs.
5. We have no problem getting to the fridge, but we have seen some RVs with front door at passenger seat with refrigerator directly behind it in a front kitchen. It is much closer to the fridge in our RV from our lounge chair than it was in the 420 s.f. S&B house.

HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote