Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #1

Mighty 5 utah

We are plan a trip in sept out to the mighty 5 Utah national parks.we are looking for a r v map to do a loop to include all 5 parks any help would be very great. John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #2

Why not just contact Utah Dept of Tourism and see what they have to send you--probably everything you would need.
Also, there are maps called "Topographic Recreational Map of (state) that has many more RV-pertinent details than a regular road map. Published by www.gtrmapping.com

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:04 PM   #3

This might help you get started:

National Parks Road Trip: Utah
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Well, if you're going to do the Big 5 you might as well finish up with the others! Coming south from I-70 in eastern Utah on highway 191 you pick up Canyonlands and Arches in Moab UT. BTW, Portal RV Resort is very nice. When you finish with Moab sights continue south on 191 to Bluff UT. From Bluff you can see the Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley, Natural Bridges AND, if you're adventurous, you can do the Moki Dugway and see the Goose Necks from Muley Point. It would be ashame to come this close and not see it all... Look at our website, The List, Page 3 to see what I'm talking about... www.kensbucketlist.com
Old 08-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Why not just contact Utah Dept of Tourism and see what they have to send you--probably everything you would need.
Also, there are maps called "Topographic Recreational Map of (state) that has many more RV-pertinent details than a regular road map. Published by www.gtrmapping.com
I have those tourism publications from 2015 and 2016 along with a Michelin 4 corners map - and they are worn to tatters. Do it via the internet and they will send it out fairly fast plus continue to update you with Utah events, including one received today though are not going West this year.

https://www.visitutah.com/

You can also find lots of info on line about Utah state parks as the Big 5 are US parks. Also, you can get a pass that will save you many bucks. We have the Golden Age pass which has been discontinued but still valid. The $10 we paid for it has saved us hundreds if not thousands of dollars: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

We found that Arches, Bryce and Zion were the most enjoyable for us but be prepared with good walking shoes, a day pack and water bottles. At Zion, parking can be beyond tough though we got there early (0700) and got a front row, inside the site place to park
Old 08-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
First of all Welcome. You didn't say where you were coming from or where you are going from there. How much time do you have. If only a week or two don't waste your time trying to seeing all five. If wanting to stay in the parks Bryce & Zion will be the ones hardest to find a campsite open. Like most N.P. out here in the west you need time to see it all. I've been to Yellowstone five or six times & still haven't seen it all.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:58 AM   #7

Mghty 5

[QUOTE=Stealth01;3741987]Well, if you're going to do the Big 5 you might as well finish up with the others! Coming south from I-70 in eastern Utah on highway 191 you pick up Canyonlands and Arches in Moab UT. BTW, Portal RV Resort is very nice. When you finish with Moab sights continue south on 191 to Bluff UT. From Bluff you can see the Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley, Natural Bridges AND, if you're adventurous, you can do the Moki Dugway and see the Goose Necks from Muley Point. It would be ashame to come this close and not see it all... Look at our website, The List, Page 3 to see what I'm talking about... [URL="http://www.kensbucketlist.com"]www. t u got it
Old 08-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #8

Thanks for all the awsome info should get me started on our trip.Info is very much so appricated.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #9

We did just this in July on our two weeks vacation and that was plenty of time to see the parks with mild hiking. It was generally very warm or even hot in the summer.

But agree about which direction you're coming from would help. Since we are from CO, we stayed in Moab first, 5 nights there. Lots to do in Moab besides seeing Arches and Canyonlands. Next to Capitol Reef and spent 1 1/2 days there which was plenty for us. The Wonderland RV park in Torrey was a very nice place. Left Torrey and traveled Hwy 12 to the Bryce/Zion area. This is a very nice drive and you can see the notable drivable sites within the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument on this hwy.

If I had to do things over it would be spending more time hiking in Zion. Both Bryce and Zion were amazing areas, Zion taking the cake for great hikes. Loved both areas staying on the east side of Zion between the two parks. I would probably also consider staying closer to Bryce, then packing up and staying closer to Zion but would still want to be on the east side of Zion to avoid severe crowding.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Well, if you're going to do the Big 5 you might as well finish up with the others! Coming south from I-70 in eastern Utah on highway 191 you pick up Canyonlands and Arches in Moab UT. BTW, Portal RV Resort is very nice. When you finish with Moab sights continue south on 191 to Bluff UT. From Bluff you can see the Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley, Natural Bridges AND, if you're adventurous, you can do the Moki Dugway and see the Goose Necks from Muley Point. It would be ashame to come this close and not see it all... Look at our website, The List, Page 3 to see what I'm talking about... www.kensbucketlist.com

Love the list! I feel the same way you do about exploring our awesome country after seeing a lot of the world with 22years with the U.S. Navy. I hope to make t least 1/2 the places on your list. Thank you for your service, and keep on wandering!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #11

Although we thought the mighty 5 was great, I thought that Red Canyon national monument was really beautiful. And another national monument not to be missed is Cedarbreak. At nearly 11,000 feet it is the prettiest sight I have ever seen.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #12
NKA

When to go?

This is all great info. I bookmarked all the links. I am planning to spend at least a month in Utah next year. When is the best time to go to avoid crowds and heat, yet not be at risk for really bad (cold/snow) weather? My "toad" is a motorcycle, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #13

We went in august and warm but not unbearable. Now Cedarbreak is another story. It was in mid seventies at bottom and in the fifties at the top. Also there is a campground up there. You should come in from the south which is about an 8 percent grade. I came in from the north which was a 15% grade. Its a long haul, but beautiful and the only way to see it is from the top as it is a couple thousand foot deep bowl. The other parks were typically in the 80s.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKA View Post
This is all great info. I bookmarked all the links. I am planning to spend at least a month in Utah next year. When is the best time to go to avoid crowds and heat, yet not be at risk for really bad (cold/snow) weather? My "toad" is a motorcycle, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
The best month IMO is September. I live close to Cedar Breaks. The schools around the area(southern Utah) start sometime in August, so crowds are little less. The weather cools in September, especially the nights and early mornings. Our first snow usually is in October. September could be hot or it could be cold, but little chance of snow.