Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #1

Mildew and mold

What do y’all do to keep mildew and mold in check? DampX does not seem to help.
df1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by df1210 View Post
What do y’all do to keep mildew and mold in check? DampX does not seem to help.

You have a water leak somewhere - either the RV isn't water tight or you have plumbing issues.

First stop the water intrusion, then find the mold and kill with a fungicide. Chances are good that the first mold you find will not be the last, and you will likely need to treat more area with the fungicide.

Mold spores travel and can lie dormant for a long time before they get activated with water. Over-treating is better than under-treating.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #3

There does not appear to be any water leaks from broken pipes or from the roof. We do live in a wooded area and we just got hammered by the rains of Florence. I can not find any signs of water running down the walls. The floor is bone dry.
df1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #4

I leave a 110 volt type light on....and hav'n Maxi covers on roof vents, leave them 1/2 open
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #5

Here we have high humidity,, but have had real good luck with Damp Rid buckets, all different sizes.... They fill up and we replace.....In the rv and house. Like said above since you already have mold, thats going to take some work to get things cleaned up.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #6

Damp rid can be reused.....dry it out on a cookie sheet in an oven...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #7

Humidity!

It is the humidity. 95-99% all August here in Tennessee. That and being closed up with no ventilation. My RV is under a metal canopy so I know it was not due to a roof leak and all my tanks were still winterized.

The other post about leaving your roof vents open is a good idea as long as when it rains it does not get inside.

I purchased a dehumidifier. I let the water drip continually in the shower because I was having to go empty the reservoir everyday. Also open all the cabinets in the RV so the air can flow. I experienced some mold in my bathroom cabinet...they were shut tight and did I mention the humidity?!

Wipe everything down...walls, ceiling, cabinet doors...everything with warm soapy water. I also used a disinfectant called OdoBan. Then run dehumidifier and keep everything open for prevention.

Also we use the DampRid while we are camping because I do not bring the dehumidifier with us. Use bowls of charcoal in the under-storage areas. Don't forget about under the bed if it applies. Baking soda in frig and freezer and tap some in all the drains.

I learned my lesson...check your camper every week or so when not using.
abby8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:08 AM   #8

a dehumidifier is the only real answer here. close up the trailer open everything inside and run the dehumidifier 24-7. most small DH'S have a tank that collects the water, I just put a hole in the tank and ran a small hose to drain into the sink.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby8242 View Post
It is the humidity. 95-99% all August here in Tennessee. That and being closed up with no ventilation. My RV is under a metal canopy so I know it was not due to a roof leak and all my tanks were still winterized.

The other post about leaving your roof vents open is a good idea as long as when it rains it does not get inside.

I purchased a dehumidifier. I let the water drip continually in the shower because I was having to go empty the reservoir everyday. Also open all the cabinets in the RV so the air can flow. I experienced some mold in my bathroom cabinet...they were shut tight and did I mention the humidity?!

Wipe everything down...walls, ceiling, cabinet doors...everything with warm soapy water. I also used a disinfectant called OdoBan. Then run dehumidifier and keep everything open for prevention.

Also we use the DampRid while we are camping because I do not bring the dehumidifier with us. Use bowls of charcoal in the under-storage areas. Don't forget about under the bed if it applies. Baking soda in frig and freezer and tap some in all the drains.

I learned my lesson...check your camper every week or so when not using.
You should turn the water off, the DH is trying to suck up all the moisture inside, its going to get a lot at first then it will slow up some. the water running in the shower just makes more moisture for the DH to remove. same thing if you leave a vent or window open, the DH is having to dry out the moisture coming in the vent or window.
Jay D.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
You should turn the water off, the DH is trying to suck up all the moisture inside, its going to get a lot at first then it will slow up some. the water running in the shower just makes more moisture for the DH to remove. same thing if you leave a vent or window open, the DH is having to dry out the moisture coming in the vent or window.
Jay D.
My DH is designed with a drain hose and putting it in the shower works very well. Our rig stays in camp all year. 8 months we are not hear the roof vents are open. We have Maxair covers on them. No trailer cover. Came back this year to NO Mold!. last year we closed the vents. Bad mistake!
Old 09-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
My DH is designed with a drain hose and putting it in the shower works very well. Our rig stays in camp all year. 8 months we are not hear the roof vents are open. We have Maxair covers on them. No trailer cover. Came back this year to NO Mold!. last year we closed the vents. Bad mistake!
in Last year was the DH running? if so the DH is not working properly or to small. the idea of a DH is to suck moisture out of the air. and at some point the humidity of the air will reach the lowest point that the DH can get it to. buy opening a vent or window your just letting more humid air in for the DH to try and dry out. it may never get to the lowest humidity it can get to.
Jay D.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #12

Quote:
in Last year was the DH running? if so the DH is not working properly or to small. the idea of a DH is to suck moisture out of the air. and at some point the humidity of the air will reach the lowest point that the DH can get it to. buy opening a vent or window your just letting more humid air in for the DH to try and dry out. it may never get to the lowest humidity it can get to.
Jay D.
My bad. LOL. DH only on when needed when we are here. 8 months of just vents open with vent covers on.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #13

I use a plug in mini ozone generator and ionizer. It does the trick for mold, odors from cooking and smells fresh as rain when you enter the RV. Plug it in and leave it.
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Jay D.
Sorry I should have been more clear...hose from DH is running to the shower drain. No water is running from the shower...LOL. The vents should be open while you are cleaning up the mold and mildew, it is a process and a lot of hard work. The DH has been the key to the prevention of ever having to that again.
abby8242 is offline   Reply With Quote