Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For me, it all depends on the situation, sometimes 600, sometime only 300 or so. Terrain makes big difference. Over all, I average real close to 50 mph consistantly. On a boring (to me) desert crossing on an interstate, I sometimes go farther than I usually do. I too enjoy driving, but physical consideration for my wife or myself on any particular day comes into play also.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
My 71yr old father on the other hand wants to get where he's going ASAP. Parker, AZ to Idaho Falls in one day, and that includes having to have 4 trailer tires changed south of SLC.
Superman! That is something like 800 miles. Does he drive in the dark? That is one thing that limits me. I don't like driving in the dark even in my car.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
Superman! That is something like 800 miles. Does he drive in the dark? That is one thing that limits me. I don't like driving in the dark even in my car.
On the way down he woke my mom up and told her it was 4am and they were getting on the road. They got ready, get in the truck and mom was MAD when she saw the clock reading 2am. Lol

He would rather drive early morning dark than evening dark because less traffic.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #46

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
On the way down he woke my mom up and told her it was 4am and they were getting on the road. They got ready, get in the truck and mom was MAD when she saw the clock reading 2am. Lol
Your dad and I would probably get along just fine.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #47

He is retired but still hauls pipe part time. Lots of early mornings.

We went to pick up a SxS he bought on the other side of the state. We took off at 6pm, stopped at midnight then got back up at 4am for more. On that one we shared driving duties.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For me it depends on what my trip goals are. If it's my summer sightseeing trip I may start off with an eight hour day to get me out of my home area but then it is strictly 5 hours or 300 miles. Some days maybe shorter and some slightly longer depending on the location of campgrounds. When sightseeing I like to be on the road no later than 9 am and try to get to my next stop around 3-4 pm. Sometime later if there are several sightseeing stops before getting to my camping stop. If it is about the destination then I may do 8+ hours of driving (450+ miles) because it's about the destination not the area in between. If I am destination driving then I am on the road as soon as I can usually before 8AM and will drive until 5-6 pm with several rest stops along the way.

I think it really depends on what works for you considering factors such as pets/no pets, ability, age, fatigue, and where you are (sights/no sights), etc that affect your driving time/distance.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #49
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Did 500 miles today (Orlando to Bella Terrra in Alabama) or about 7.5 hours. Max ever was 10 hours from BWK in Key West to Tallahassee. A comfortable trip would be under 5 hours or about 325 miles. Now, just relaxing at Bella Terra - a well deserved rest after a windy driving day....
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
We rarely do more than 250 miles, basically a driving from around 10:30-11 until 3 or 4. We are retired, so we seldom have deadlines to meet. We enjoy a leisurely morning, then get on the road. Then stop in time to enjoy the late afternoon in a new place, have a relaxing dinner, etc. If you have less time or need to be somewhere, you can push harder, leave earlier and stop later.

Some coaches or truck & trailer combos are mentally & physically taxing to drive - you may hear stories of "white knuckle" trips. Ours is not.
This. I'm retired, so there is no good reason to get up at the crack of dawn.
4-5 hrs driving is plenty.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
For me, it all depends on the situation, sometimes 600, sometime only 300 or so. Terrain makes big difference. Over all, I average real close to 50 mph consistantly. On a boring (to me) desert crossing on an interstate, I sometimes go farther than I usually do. I too enjoy driving, but physical consideration for my wife or myself on any particular day comes into play also.
dieselclacker

Coincidentally 50 miles is also the average distance we travel per hour when driving at 60 MPH on interstate highways, (including fuel stops, rest stops and lunch breaks).
When traveling cross country a 600 mile per day drive takes 12 hours while a 300 mile drive takes 6 hours.
Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
We travel by the "230 rule". That means we try to get off the road after 230 miles or at about 2:30 in the afternoon, whichever is first.

For many who know me, this is odd. On my motorcycle I did several Ironbutt rides (1000 mile per day) and typically rode 500+ miles per day. I am retired now and enjoying this much slower pace and the pleasures of not being on a timetable to get where we're going.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #53

Since much depends on your time available, such as being retired, it makes a big difference. Since I am still working and usually want to get where I am intended as soon as I can, my typical day is 500-650 miles without trouble. However, I like to hit the road at first light and then stop before it is dark. So much easier driving during the day than at night. Therefore I can cover a lot more miles in summer than winter! Of course weather also has a factor, and nice clear sunny days are much more conducive to putting miles on than rain or other bad weather conditions.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just consider fuel mileage, tire safety, and how your feel.

I am in the 350 mile range. I find I get tired sooner because driving the coach with a toad is a lot more tiring and stressful.

Then a blowout at 70mph scares me, so I am around 60-65 mph for safety and MPG.

Regards,

Dan
Old 12-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Question

Let's touch upon speed I see some mention they go 55 or 60 MPH.

To me I think you're going to slow on a interstate where the speed limit is 70 or more.

In fact a danger to others, I don't go less than 65 in 70+ limit road.

I feel like someone will plow into me at slower speeds.

What are your thoughts?
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Let's touch upon speed I see some mention they go 55 or 60 MPH.

To me I think you're going to slow on a interstate where the speed limit is 70 or more.

In fact a danger to others, I don't go less than 65 in 70+ limit road.

I feel like someone will plow into me at slower speeds.

What are your thoughts?
Been driving that way for quite a while and I've yet to be plowed into. I don't buy the danger to others, the minimum speed on most interstates is around 45-50 so someone doing 60 is well above that. And even if the limit is 80, that's only 20 under the limit so I can't imagine all traffic flying along at 80, I think then you'd be in a dangerous situation (unless of course you're on a race track where drivers actually pay attention).

And what happens at rush hour in most major metropolitan cities? Where's that higher speed then??? Drive to Boston some morning on I-90 and tell me how fast you can go once you get past I-495.

I guess if you're in the middle of the some nowhere place it doesn't make sense, but my toad is limiting me to stay below 65 and that's what I do.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote