Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #71

I truly admire all you retired folks... I CANNOT wait for the day when time is irrelevant.. however, that day is too far into the distance for me to see..

So.. with that being said... I'm much like the other working stiff's who have responded.. Time and distance are the real struggle.. obviously, we want to maximize our time at the location and we try to "get there" as quickly as possible..

One adjustment we've made to our longer trips is leaving on Friday night, after work... It doesn't matter if we pull out at 5:00 or 9:00pm... we just want to get on the road and heading in the right direction.. For me.. wanting to "hit the road" at 7:00am on a Saturday morning is like trying to find the ever elusive rainbow unicorn.. it just doesn't happen, and usually ends up being 9:00ish or later..

Obviously, leaving on Friday night gets us going... it doesn't matter if we drive for 2 or 6 hours.. we are headed in the right direction, and puts a big dent in the next day's mileage count.. Plus, it gives us one extra night to sleep in the RV.. We really do love to "wallydock" and think it's just as much apart of our vacation then landing at our final destination..

As for driving.. I'm pretty lucky.. My GF loves to drive the RV... we share the responsibilities pretty equally.. she usually will drive more during the daylight hours and I tend to drive more during the night time.. personally, I like to drive at night, 'cause I can see things better with all the headlights..

Additionally... we make the journey part of the destination... lots of times we'll deviate from the expressway to catch the sites and go on little adventures... this gives us time to relax and stretch our legs... So, we could be, up and on the road by 7:00-8:00am and off the road by 10:00-11:00pm, when we find a good place to land.. I'm not sure the amount of miles.. but we do try to make it a full day..

This program works for us.. personally.. I can't imagine a better way of spending a day, than starring out my LARGE SCREEN window, exploring this beautiful country we live in...

Cheers to everyone's different approach and what works for them !!

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #72

A p.s. to my post of we are with in a 100 miles of where we going and still be daylight when we get there we make it if I feel ok and most of the time I do

Old 12-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #73

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We travel 60-65 cruise set. We either stop before a big city or after a big city
We drove from Mpls to 100 miles east of Oklahoma City. First stop was Oklahoma City. We got on the road after the rush hour. Truck stops and rest areas are okay with us. We don't have to worry about running the genny if needed either. Saves on a added expense.
Merry Christmas
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
One of the solutions to traveling when working is to pick vacation spots that are not on the other side of the country. There must be some really prime areas close to where you are currently living. Stay closer to home so you maximize your time and save the long distances for when you are retired and have more time to travel.

Like the story about the old bull and the young bull. Slow down and see it all.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:32 AM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
One of the solutions to traveling when working is to pick vacation spots that are not on the other side of the country. There must be some really prime areas close to where you are currently living. Stay closer to home so you maximize your time and save the long distances for when you are retired and have more time to travel.

Like the story about the old bull and the young bull. Slow down and see it all.

That's a great idea, and was my dads plan. Unfortunately he passed away before he could realize those plans.

Think I will continue to go see what I want to see while I can still do it. There is no promise of tomorrow.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #76

I just go to the next location, that is where my wife tells me to go...
mohamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I just go to the next location, that is where my wife tells me to go...
Ain't that the truth!

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
That's a great idea, and was my dads plan. Unfortunately he passed away before he could realize those plans.

Think I will continue to go see what I want to see while I can still do it. There is no promise of tomorrow.
No argument on my part. A bucket list is a great thing to have.

Sometimes the greatest wonders are those you discover in your back yard. I have traveled many places and there is always something great to be seen or experienced in some of the most unlikely places. You just have to look.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post

Yes, we never know what tomorrow will bring. We had way too many friends put off their dreams waiting for later and later didn't come. We are doing everything in our power (and within the limitations of our wallet) to do everything we want to do and see everything we want to see now, while we are healthy and able to do it. We can sleep when we're 90.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #80

Myself I like to stay motels until get to my destination, where I stay two weeks. We're not retired so ours are vacation trips. We did stop at Milwaukee state fairgrounds rv park overnight this year. Just pulled in, hooked up electric, ate supper at a bar across the street and left next morning.

It was so funny our Golden....it was all asphalt everywhere and she was not happy. It was like she was thinking "You've got to be kidding me.....we're camping here????" She loves the woods when we camp.

But I plan stops so that we can be at the final destination by early afternoon. That way we're all set up by dinner time. I just am amazed at the people who come in at dark to the campground. Then have to back their rigs in and get all set up with flashlights.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #81

Oakcreekeric...We had the same issues and decided rather than do the long distance weekend trips we started going to and staying at all the state parks (54 in Arkansas) and all within a 2-3 hour drive. Get to see the wonderful sites in this beautiful state and surrounding states and we don't spend a lot of money either. Now that we are semi-retired we are still doing the same thing. We are however making one long trip per year, at a leisurely pace and enjoying it. Good luck in your travels.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:55 PM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
My preference would be to cap a given day's drive time to less than 5 hours which translates to roughly 300 miles. However, there are times when we simply can't get to where we must and stay in that 5 hour / 300 mile per day goal (I've still got work commitments that sometimes cannot be avoided).

When "making miles" is the order of the day - we stick to freeways to the greatest extent possible (on the 5 hour a day plan ... we're happy to enjoy the side roads), we switch drivers (on the 5 hour a day plan - I drive all of it and my DW is happy I do), we overnight in Walmart (or similar) parking lots (on the 5 hour a day plan - we seek out actual campgrounds). The one thing we won't do - even when pushing to make distance is compromise on safety. When a driver is tired - we switch, if both of us are tired - we stop.

We're both looking forward to the day when we'll have the luxury of saying "we NEVER drive more than 300 miles in a day" ... that day is coming ... but it ain't here quite yet.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
350 to 400 all my knees can take.
Do you peddle that thing or what?
Old 12-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #84

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
We travel by the "230 rule". That means we try to get off the road after 230 miles or at about 2:30 in the afternoon, whichever is first.

For many who know me, this is odd. On my motorcycle I did several Ironbutt rides (1000 mile per day) and typically rode 500+ miles per day. I am retired now and enjoying this much slower pace and the pleasures of not being on a timetable to get where we're going.
We took the driving course at Lazydays when we bought our coach. The instructor was a seasoned RV veteran and his recommendation was "330 or 3:30" much like your plan. We do that most of the time and arrive in the daylight to set up and relax in the evening. That is our preferred method.