Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Miles a day

Class A pulling a toad how many miles is reasonable a day? From experience is 400 miles too many? Trying to plan my first trip. I plan to take a 20 mile trip camp for 3 days to make sure all is working and I have everything than Houston to VA.
franktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I try to do it by time, not miles. I like to leave by 9am and be off the road by 3pm. I'm retired, so time is my friend and not a deadline.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I never go over 300 and most days less than 150 i have all day to get there and no hurry
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #4

You will find many opinions about this on this forum. There have been lots of threads focused on this question. That said, I'll share our approach.

Generally speaking, we like to limit our distance each day to around 300 miles. That's because we have one driver and with the toad, stops for lunch, fuel, stretching our legs, we usually can average only 50 miles distance in an hour. That's 6 hours of driving. We'll try to plan to pull into to wherever we are planning to get to by 4pm, so we can relax a bit before dinner.

We don't like to be on the road in the dark, so we stick to this approach more strictly in winter months, than other times of the year. We have driven as much as 550 miles in a day. We wouldn't want to try it again, too many hours driving. We will do 400-450 on rare occasion, if we HAVE to be somewhere. But it's not our first choice.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #5

Retired Fire Service RVer's
JMHO....a 300 mile day in good weather is enough....RELAX and enjoy the changing scenery....stop often, stretch, just enjoy...it should NOT be a race...
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Depends on the coach, you, the weather conditions, the road, etc. Some will say crazy, but I've gone 800, and I've gone as little as 250. But I have a very comfortable large engine Class A, and the 800 was all good Interstate and relatively flat with a tailwind. On the day we went 250, fought a quartering gusty crosswind of 40 mph on the nose in West Texas. For most, I think 300-400 is kinda the norm.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #7

Everyone has buckled up and made the 400-500 mile days. I'm not doing it anymore. getting off the road around 3-4 in the afternoon gives you a chance to stretch out , refresh , check your outfit over [fuel etc] and relax. Late days seem to attract trouble for me , IE heavy traffic , missed the damn turn-off , and because your tired .............the dreaded domestic that none of us need !! If you have the time........take it. A lot less stressful on the old body.
JMHO Cheers.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The longest trip so far in my Class C was a hair over 500/day for two days from Los Angeles to Yellowstone National Park.

The only reason was that my daughter and I had limited time due to jobs.

Now that I'm retired, I don't have to press it anymore. I don't mind driving at night, I just don't like setting up camp in the dark.

300 miles seems a reasonable amount of miles without wearing out the driver.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I am going to say that it depends if one is retired or not.........for us, I roll to our destination.......enjoy our vacation, then leave enough days to roll home. It also depends on what kind of vacation we are going on, and how many different locations we are going to stay/visit. This is just how we roll now due to still working...........it will be nice in a couple of years not to have to do this...........I dream of short driving days and stopping often to "Smell the Roses".........
Coming soon...........4-6-8 lanes , will then turn to 2 lanes.........for our travels.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #10

A lot depends on where you're driving. Open road interstates are easy for me and 500 miles isn't that bad. Narrow two lane secondary roads can tire me out in 150 miles. Heavy city traffic is tiresome, I'll stop early when coming to a large city such as LA or Dallas and awaken at 2-3am and drive through the city, sometimes pulling into a rest area after the city and resuming my nights sleep.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with previous posters on no more than 300 miles a day and be pulling in to the night stop by 3pm.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktr View Post
Class A pulling a toad how many miles is reasonable a day? From experience is 400 miles too many? Trying to plan my first trip. I plan to take a 20 mile trip camp for 3 days to make sure all is working and I have everything than Houston to VA.
franktr
Every Dec we travel south from Wisconsin and usually travel 600-650 miles the first day.
After that, for the next 3-4 months, we meander all over the south and south west.....sometimes traveling as many as 450 miles a day and sometimes moving only a few miles.
Mel
'96 Safari, '07 Saturn ION toad
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Agree that most folks like to keep a reasonable number of miles per day. I do like driving my RV tho as it's quite comfortable and the view is great. My last trip to FL was 1300 miles in 48 hours, so around 650 miles a day and I was relaxed, took lots of breaks, etc., just kept driving

And I don't drive fast, keep it at 60 (or under) as my toad limits me to a max of 65 and I get better mileage where I normally stay at.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We rarely do more than 250 miles, basically a driving from around 10:30-11 until 3 or 4. We are retired, so we seldom have deadlines to meet. We enjoy a leisurely morning, then get on the road. Then stop in time to enjoy the late afternoon in a new place, have a relaxing dinner, etc. If you have less time or need to be somewhere, you can push harder, leave earlier and stop later.

Some coaches or truck & trailer combos are mentally & physically taxing to drive - you may hear stories of "white knuckle" trips. Ours is not.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote