Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Military Famcamps

Hi Everyone, I am heading along the Gulf coast heading out to GA and I see that there are several FamCamps along I-10. I have never been to one and wanted to know how things work with the tighter security.
I do not have decals for my motor home so I know I will have to stop at the tag office. Do they search the Motor Home? And do I need to surrender my handgun?
Any Famcamps along the gulf coast to avoid?
Thanks for the information!
Leon

lpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Never had a problem with security, and I have stayed at many famcamps along the gulf coast. You will have to surrender your handgun, and most will require a decal, especially if on base. They are normally a great place to stay.

Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #3

Stayed at five FamCamps July-Sept this year and never had to have a sticker/decal nor was I inspected, All on board must have valid Mil ID or you will have to sign them in as your guest.

Only stayed at the Navy Base in Panama City Beach as far as the Gulf Coast goes. There are two there....one near the beach (off base) and the other at the boat marina on the base. We enjoyed the one at the marina. More room at the beach site and easier access though. You may have to register at the marina for both, cant remember that.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All I ever do is show ID cards for the wife and myself (each & every time I enter the gate), I think every military installation is 100% ID check now active duty included, makes no difference if you have a current decal on the vehicle your in.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Carolina Campers
Fort Bragg NC.

I work on base and the gate guards told me they no longer issue window decals. Not needed ,at least on Fort Bragg NC.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:00 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkirby View Post
Hi Everyone, I am heading along the Gulf coast heading out to GA and I see that there are several FamCamps along I-10. I have never been to one and wanted to know how things work with the tighter security.
I do not have decals for my motor home so I know I will have to stop at the tag office. Do they search the Motor Home? And do I need to surrender my handgun?
Any Famcamps along the gulf coast to avoid?
Thanks for the information!
Leon

I've never been searched. At Navy bases you'll need a sticker or temp. pass. AF bases don't require stickers. Hand guns either must be surrendered or claimed at the gate. This site has a lot of info.

Click here: U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks
Old 10-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #7

Google US Military Recreation Facilities and you can see all the facilities available in each state, and reviews of past campers at those campgrounds. Best site for finding and getting all the "skinny" on a location.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've only used the one here at Nellis AFB and it's a nice place to stay.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Inspections depend on where you are. We found a couple bases on the Left Coast That required an inspection. I have not had an inspection on the Right Coast, nor the Southwest bases.

Check the base you are going to. Call and ask about handguns. You may find that some do not allow at all, so you take your chances if you take one aboard.

As stated, some need decals, some do not. Many bases are now "open" bases. I have had friends in their MH follow me into base. I tell the guard that they are my guests. All they need is identification and their driver license suffices. Depends on the military installation. Example: Camp Pendleton is an open base. In Jun-Jul it had the only Dunkin Donut shop in the state. Any one can drive in and get a coffee. It used to be that if you went into an Exchange or Commissary you had to show a military ID Card. Now you just have to show it when you check out.

Things change, so check with the installation on any special rules regarding handguns or guests. Not all allow handguns, and not all allow guests rv'ing.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Military logic is amazing. We have terrorists threats all over the country, so a solution is to do away with the security stickers we've been using for decades. They are certainly not a catch all, but do provide some help.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Military logic is amazing. We have terrorists threats all over the country, so a solution is to do away with the security stickers we've been using for decades. They are certainly not a catch all, but do provide some help.
Like making the vehicle a target of opportuniy
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #12

I can understand doing away with the stickers since anyone could be driving the vehicle, and they could ID you as a target. I read that some bases are starting to use an automated gate. I guess you swipe your ID and if it likes you the gate opens. I don't see that being such a great idea.

Most of the Navy Bases I have been stationed at, or been on have most of the security around the flight line or piers. You can get on the base pretty easily but not into those areas.

The Solomons Military recreation area in Southern Maryland is pretty nice where I live.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks everyone for all the great information!
Leon
lpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The position of the Air Force is that vehicle stickers degrade security because a vehicle can be stolen and used to enter an AF Installation. Vehicle stickers also increase personal risk to military members by identifying them as military when off base. Air Force Bases now require 100% ID checks for base entry which is much tighter security. I'm not aware of any "Open" Air Force Bases in the country.

Happy Camping!

DaveAK is offline   Reply With Quote