Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2005, 01:11 PM   #1

Have seen some comments on creating a "Military Forum". Would be great to have an area for our current and former members of the military to "talk shop", moving from one base to another, maybe even help some of the families out there dealing with deployments and the like.
Anyone have any thoughts??
TwoOfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2005, 01:11 PM   #2

Have seen some comments on creating a "Military Forum". Would be great to have an area for our current and former members of the military to "talk shop", moving from one base to another, maybe even help some of the families out there dealing with deployments and the like.
Anyone have any thoughts??
Old 07-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems like a good idea.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:41 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
I'm a vet, sounds like a good idea to me. Who knows we may be conversing with someone we might have been stationed with at some point in time.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:34 PM   #5

Being a vet as well I'll run it by the "powers that be".
I suspect that since it is not related to RV's and camping it will not fly.
There are many web sites that assist military vets. Both active and inactive.
Chet
Old 07-11-2005, 03:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jsut an observation, I visit another RV board that did have a military forum and a Ham radio forum. Both forums had very little activity for the most part when compared to the RV side. There are other forums dedicated to military discussions.

To see if you can generate any activity from folks that may have served near or with you, you could add a line in your signature that list the branch, rank and where you served.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CyberVet65:
Being a vet as well I'll run it by the "powers that be".
I suspect that since it is not related to RV's and camping it will not fly.
There are many web sites that assist military vets. Both active and inactive.
Chet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
CyberVet65,
My thought would be to make it RV/Camping related for the Vets. If it flys..cool, if not...that's cool too.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:15 PM   #8

.....since it's been about 30+ years you might be conversing with Charlie........geofkaye
Old 07-12-2005, 11:52 AM   #9

I'm a retired Navy vet and I suggested a military forum. Someone said that there are a number of sites to help vets. That may be true, but not in the RV world. A great many active and retired vets have RVs (including here). There is only one place I've found that has a forum for military RVing vets.

Many people don't realize how many RV parks the military own all over the U.S. They even have a book of all the RV parks at military bases run by MWR (Morale, Welfare, Recreation).

I, for one, would love to have a Military Forum for vets (active and retired) that address RVing problems and ideas related to the military.

How about a poll for it?
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:10 PM   #10

TwoOfUs:......"Charlie" was the name used to identify the enemy [also "VC" ] in 'nam.....The world has changed so much that we could be typing to the [then enemy] and not even know it if they were moved to the USA and included on this list or anywhere in the world for that matter.....which could happen very easily.....The world has changed considerably since the end of the war.....Our then enemy could be giving us advice and help on RV and other matters-on this very list.....geofkaye
Old 07-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #11

Ya, I knew about "Charlie", but also had an Army Bud named Chuck Geoff.....thought you may be he.
I'm a 20 yr Army guy, now work for the AF as a sillyvilian, yep, double dipping and proud of it.
Have stayed at Nellis AFB,Las Vegas, Davis-Monthan AFB,Tucson, Kirkland AFB,NM, Pt Mugu NAS, CA, Pendleton, CA. All nice places to stay if your out west. Like Pendleton and Davis-Monthan best.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:38 PM   #12

Oh yeah, Pendleton has sites right on the beach. Haven't tried it yet, but it's definitely in the plans. Planning on spending some time in Yuma also. That RV park is also on the water.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:57 PM   #13

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Webster:
I'm a retired Navy vet and I suggested a military forum. Someone said that there are a number of sites to help vets. That may be true, but not in the RV world.

George & Cynthia,

I am also retired Navy, (MRC), and also belong to a group, S*M*A*R*T , Special Military Active/Retired Travel Club. As a past president of a local chapter and current secretary/treasurer of a chapter, I can tell you we are small, yet quite active. There are approximately 299 members listed in California alone. The S*M*A*R*T National Muster for 2005 was held in California.

Bill Blansfield
MRC USNRET
BillinRedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:33 PM   #14

I second investigating the SMART website! It is a well constructed site, even having a map section for each FAMCAMP, so we don't have to wander around post looking for it. I have plans to reserve a spot at the CG station on Marathon Island in the keys but doubt I will get one. They only have 4 sites. You may order the pertinent books on-line, I'll have to find the address and post an update to this.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote