Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Milk spill, fridge door opened

New rv. Fridge opened while traveling.1/2 gal milk on new carpets and rugs. Where do I start.
Thanks
Mike
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Rent a litter of kittens!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
lots of water and a shop vac. Store for milk. I once had a large batch of chilli that found it's way to the floor, what a mess.
good luck
Subaru Outback, Cricket SW3
seasonedsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Towels to soak it up. fold them thick and stand on them to get it up out of the padding. Then shampoo the carpet. then pour pet enzyme odor eater stuff into it ( like Out! Pet Care Oxyfast Stain and odor remover) walmart carries this... let that sit for awhile so the enzymes have time to eat the milk proteins. Then towels again to soak that up . let dry. The reason to pour it and not just spray the top is that there is carpet padding I am sure and the wood under it on the floor which got soaked. Milk will eventually turn funky color in the carpet if it is not all removed.
At least this is what I would try.... or call stanley steamer or any other company in your vicinity and see if they can come professionally clean your carpet. ( But soak it up first, then maybe put water to the area and then soak that up too... do you happen to have a shop vac on board?)
Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I recently had a jar of cherry pepper turn over and the lid opened in my fridge. Thank god it did not get out onto the carpet. However this was a huge mess to clean up and hopefully the smell is just a memory.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I would also think that sopping up as much of the milk as possible with paper towels followed up by a carpet cleaning is a good start. Although we regularly clean our carpets with a Hoover steam cleaner, once a year we have our carpets professionally cleaned and I am amazed at how much more a professional cleaner picks up.....The point being I would get the carpet professionally cleaned even after you have done all you can. Nothing worse than the odor of sour milk.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It could be worse

Had that happen and it went down the heater grate. I used water, alcohol, and the odor eater enzyme.

Revently had a cola fall out and when it hit the floor it cracked open and started spraying. I discovered that Diet Rite is a great cleaner for vinyl ceilings.

We found some small milk crate type containers and use them to retain anything we don't want to jump out at us like the psycho is a slasher movie when we open the fridge. The crates stay in the refer all the time.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, this has turned into an entertaining topic!

I had a similar but more severe experience with my first RV. We had a Dometic Elite Side by Side fridge. The fridge door had an obstruction behind it which prevented it from opening all the way back against the wall.

Anyway, not long after we got the RV we forgot to latch the door, and 1 block from a campground I stopped at an intersection and the door flew open, hit the obstruction which formed a fulcrum that caused the pin holding the door on to break. The door fell off, hit the bathroom door on the way down, punching a large hole in the door, then everything in the fridge poured out onto the floor. Many items shattered and broke and food oozed into the cracks in our Bambo laminate floor.

I have to laugh when I think about the incident now, but boy what a mess that was! It was kind of comforting when reading this topic to know that I'm not the only one to have such problems! I laughed hysterically for 5 mins when I read the post above about the Diet-Rite soda. I could picture the can rolling down the aisle spraying everything. The comment about it being good for cleaning vinyl ceilings sent me over the edge.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs up

I learned early on to tie the frig door handles with a small bungee cord. I also use it when I store the unit by placing a towel to keep the doors ajar. Has worked for many years. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasonedsole View Post
lots of water and a shop vac. Store for milk. I once had a large batch of chilli that found it's way to the floor, what a mess.
good luck
Really liked the "Litter of kittens" answer..

But this is the best one.. OR one of the rentable rug shampooers. That would work as well.

Do it as soon as possible.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #11

I travel with a Bissell Little Green Machine. Its small but can be used to suck up water that leaks around a seal in 40 mph weather! Will clean up milk and deodorize the carpet.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, door