Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #1

Mineral Oil In Batteries Update Now

Been sometime since I posted a thread but thought this would be a good time to do so.

Removed old and installed four new House Batteries on 12/9/11. The day of installation I added 4 oz. of Mineral Oil to each cell of the batteries. Now a mere 33 months later I can report that all four batteries are still in place and there is not a sign of any corrosion in my battery compartment. Checking the batteries every month the fluid level only needs adjustment (distilled water) every 2nd or 3rd month depending on ambient temperature. I have my Schumacher Charger continually charging the batter bank on the 2 amp auto setting.

When I remove the cell caps I give a little chuckle as each cell looks like a fresh drawn beer. There's a frothy head, the results of the oil capturing the gasses from the charging cycle. I repeat that there's not a sign of any corrosion in the battery compartment. Guess I'm a believer in the Mineral Oil Treatment of House Batteries

Safe Camping to All

bob109
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #2

Hummm....
I see the exact same thing in my 4-6 volt batteries without mineral oil in them. We have been nearly full time for the past year. Checked my batteries maybe three times adding a little water each time to bring then back to full.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
I have 8 6v batteries. I added 2 oz of mineral oil 7 years ago and they are still being used! Corrosion stopped immediately and every other month or so I add distilled water. I do dry camp frequently as I am a full timer and travel all year round. My rv is all electric with household appliances.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
No froth on the top of my battery cells. Only the mixture of pure acid and pure distilled water. I use the Water-Miser Caps which get moved from old battery bank to new battery bank. Only need to add a little distilled water every 6 months.

This battery bank is over 2 years old and still cooking.

My chassis battery never needs water. it was put in a couple months after the house batteries were installed.

All batteries were installed at the Fairbanks Alaska Sam's Club in 2012.

No corrosion and very little maintenance.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Bank - House GC2.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	74619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Bank - Chassis 8D.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	74620  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Just wondering how You can check the S.G. With all that Oil floating on the surface of the wet cells?

It seems to me that the little Balls in the Hydrometer would all stick together .

Just asking!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
No froth on the top of my battery cells. Only the mixture of pure acid and pure distilled water. I use the Water-Miser Caps which get moved from old battery bank to new battery bank. Only need to add a little distilled water every 6 months.

This battery bank is over 2 years old and still cooking.

My chassis battery never needs water. it was put in a couple months after the house batteries were installed.

No corrosion and very little maintenance.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I like your Power Pulse, they really extend to life of batteries. I use to use them on batteries of emergency generators I worked on when I was working.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
Just wondering how You can check the S.G. With all that Oil floating on the surface of the wet cells?

It seems to me that the little Balls in the Hydrometer would all stick together .

Just asking!
Never checked mine for specific gravity. They lasted over 8 years as it was and even then were working OK for our limited use (maybe two days and drivinge several hundred miles in between).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
...Checking the batteries every month the fluid level only needs adjustment (distilled water) every 2nd or 3rd month depending on ambient temperature. I have my Schumacher Charger continually charging the batter bank on the 2 amp auto setting.

When I remove the cell caps I give a little chuckle as each cell looks like a fresh drawn beer. There's a frothy head, the results of the oil capturing the gasses from the charging cycle. I repeat that there's not a sign of any corrosion in the battery compartment. Guess I'm a believer in the Mineral Oil Treatment of House Batteries

Safe Camping to All

bob109
Seems to me if you're seeing 'froth' in the battery cells caused by out gassing, you're over charging them. Even at 2 amps, that's more than a trickle charger needed for maintenance.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My batteries stay clean and corrosion free using the Pro Fill battery watering system.
https://www.flow-rite.com/battery-wa...rv/pro-fill-rv

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #10

All my battery terminals are just as clean as the day I installed the batteries. Can' even check liquid level, let alone add mineral oil. They are Exide 12V, 200AH, HD deep cycle lead acid, and sealed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #11

Tricle charge is 0.1% C where C is capacity in amp hours @8 hour rate.

So a 2 amp rate way way to hot.

If you have 200 ahr of batteries then float at 0.2 amps after fully charged.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Tricle charge is 0.1% C where C is capacity in amp hours @8 hour rate.

So a 2 amp rate way way to hot.

If you have 200 ahr of batteries then float at 0.2 amps after fully charged.
I'm not the OP. My MH stays plugged in to shore power when not used. The invertor/charger maintains a 13.7V float charge, which is on-target.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #13

13.5 is usual but the data sheet for this battery should be checked so voltage is confirmed correct.

With vrla batteries it does make a difference if floating for extended periods.

If using loads daily not so much.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Have a road on this attachment, response 3 is interesting.
Paste this link in.
Dave M

C:\Users\David\Pictures\battery-oil-293586.htm
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries